SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation battery tap parallel circuit

can i tap into the lithium battery on a 2014 x2 to run some led lights= a parallel circuit with voltage dropping resistor to get down closer to 12 volts which battery would be best to tap? at the main connector
or will that be csusing charge troubles or controller board problems?
sofar ive left them alone and added extra strapped on batteriesfor= color changing hover lights and wheel rim lights milwake power hand tools have nice 12 volt rechargeable batteriesim laid up or i would have it done
charging everything with the one plug in is my goal

rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #2
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Cool Unwise

It would be most unwise to tap into the main battery system.

There's lots of economical rechargeable stand-alone batteries and lights that you can independently charge ( by a US or from a power adapter )/
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:00 AM   #3
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbint View Post
It would be most unwise to tap into the main battery system.

There's lots of economical rechargeable stand-alone batteries and lights that you can independently charge ( by a US or from a power adapter )/
yes most unwise i agree but im so laid up i cant even carry an extra battery thus my goal of all one charge system
does anyone have a trick to water proof the charge plug hinged door? im using velcro tabs just to keep it more closed i carry my two x2s on a dual segvator electric liftit is raining hard now so i am a little worried
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
can i tap into the lithium battery on a 2014 x2 to run some led lights?
No! I can't think of a practical way to do that.

As an alternative, you could put a battery and its charger in a saddlebag, plugged into an extension cord in the bag. And plug the Segway charger cord into the same extension cord. Now you have the same two connections to make for charging all the batteries.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
... you could put a battery and its charger in a saddlebag...
Watch the temperature when charging. Chargers do not like elevated temperatures, and some lithium ion batteries are prone to thermal runaway when they get hot.

I agree with the others that it's not a good idea to mess around with the Segway batteries, especially if you don't know what you're doing. There is a LOT of energy in there, and there is the possibility of damaging the Battery Management System, which could get very expensive.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
does anyone have a trick to water proof the charge plug hinged door? im using velcro tabs just to keep it more closed i carry my two x2s on a dual segvator electric liftit is raining hard now so i am a little worried
I'm not saying it's a bad aim to take reasonable steps to waterproof that area - but on all my segs I removed the console cover completely. They're pretty water tight as-is and in my opinion, the function of the cover is aesthetic rather than functional - although I guess it could keep mud or other materials out - but I never had any problems without the cover in all of my off-road tours carried out in the 'good ole British' weather through woodland trails. But your mileage may vary.

That said, I remember (back in Gen1 days) some people used the cord plugs from spare cables. The plug end cut off and with wires removed maybe? And kept it plugged in to the charge port. That's a snug fit. Not sure how good an idea that might be.