SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Interestingly, if you measure each tire's foot print, multiply it by the PSI, you will have the weight of the vehicle. Air does carry you.
That would be absolutely correct *if* there wasn't a tire involved to throw your calculations totally out of whack!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
That would be absolutely correct *if* there wasn't a tire involved to throw your calculations totally out of whack!

Don
You just say that because you run such a low pressure that the tire's sidewall is supporting the vehicle. I run higher pressures and only the tread hits the pavement, so it is pretty accurate. How much weight does a tire hold before it starts deflecting if no air in it? I don't think the rubber sidewall is supporting much of a percentage of the vehicles weight.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
You just say that because you run such a low pressure that the tire's sidewall is supporting the vehicle. I run higher pressures and only the tread hits the pavement, so it is pretty accurate. How much weight does a tire hold before it starts deflecting if no air in it? I don't think the rubber sidewall is supporting much of a percentage of the vehicles weight.
How do you handle the areas between the "bumps" on the tread?

How do you handle the fact that the part of the tread near the front, and near the rear, are handling less weight/pressure?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 AM   #14
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
How do you handle the areas between the "bumps" on the tread?

How do you handle the fact that the part of the tread near the front, and near the rear, are handling less weight/pressure?
A 2x2 area of tread, with gaps/patterns, pressurized to 25psi and in contact with the ground is supporting 100lbs. 4 square inches x 25 pounds /square inch = 100 pounds.

I guess technically the air in the tire can be at different pressures depending on where in the tire it is (air at the top vs air at the bottom of the air column). But when we don't make the idea an absurd absolute, it will be much more fun.

Last edited by Pescador12; 10-10-2017 at 03:06 AM..
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

No, I think the actual pressure inside the tire is the same, no matter where you measure it, top or bottom . . . . although, tires do seem to always go flat *only* at the bottom

The thickness of the tire carcass also throws the calculation out of whack - The area of the contact patch (the air supporting the load) is different inside the tire from what you measure on the outside where the tire contacts the road surface due to the thickness of the tire

As I said, your 'theory' is correct, but the tire throws off the accuracy of the calculation and because of that, you always get an erroneous answer

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote