SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
vingale
vingale is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default new segway won't charge

I just got an i2 -have been charging it for 8 hrs now and the battery is still showing red - is the battery defective?
vingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

No , but for more information follow this link

http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html#1.1

Bruneje
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruneje View Post
No , but for more information follow this link

http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html#1.1

Bruneje
That link appears to be for nickle batteries (Gen1).

If his gen2 liOn battery is showing red, it likely is defective. A trip to the dealer to find out what is going on is probably a good idea.

btw, if it's a new machine then your 1-yr warrnty will cover replacement.
if it's over 1yr old, then hope for the best.

Last edited by bud01234; 07-10-2010 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: warranty?
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

There are lots of things that could also be involved with a new purchase.

1. A new purchase should go right back to the seller, let them worry about it.

2. A new to me purchase is a different story.

3. Common on early gen one machines is that the power cord would not plug into the socket on the segway deep enough (The rubber molded shoulder of the plug would hit the socket walls) and people often thought there were charging problems when it really was not plugged in.

I have not heard of this so much on gen 2 machines, but a small obstruction in the socket, or a bad cord would give the same situation, or potentially could.

4. Batteries, as suspected may be bad

5. Charger on the segway may be bad

6. A whole assortment of other things may be at play.

I found it impossible to conclude a specific answer to the OP question from the information provided. If others could, they are smarter than me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
bud01234

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

1. A new purchase should go right back to the seller, let them worry about it. btw, if it's a new machine then your 1-yr warrnty will cover replacement

2. A new to me purchase is a different story. if it's over 1yr old, then hope for the best.

3. Common on early gen one machines is that the power cord would not plug into the socket on the segway deep enough (The rubber molded shoulder of the plug would hit the socket walls) and people often thought there were charging problems when it really was not plugged in. I didn't address this since he specifically said it's a gen 2

I have not heard of this so much on gen 2 machines, but a small obstruction in the socket, or a bad cord would give the same situation, or potentially could. Doubtful. If it's not getting power then the red light would NOT come on when, ahem... charging.

4. Batteries, as suspected may be bad - If his gen2 liOn battery is showing red, it likely is defective.

5. Charger on the segway may be bad - are we talking about Gen 1 again?

6. A whole assortment of other things may be at play. Always a possibility

I found it impossible to conclude a specific answer to the OP question from the information provided. If others could, they are smarter than me. If his gen2 liOn battery is showing red, it likely is defective. That's a specific answer???
(above underlines are quoted from my original post.)
I don't see where we disagree on anything other than you reading a specific reply where I intended it to be general; especially since I've experienced the exact same problem with a red light/bad battery. I also agree that we need more info as to age of the unit and if it's a used unit.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Hey Bud, calm down.

I was responding to the OP, not to you or your post. There was no reason to try to take mine apart, as if I was contradicting yours. In fact, I was mostly agreeing with you in both diagnosis and suggested action (like return to the seller)

By the way, although I was not thinking of any specific reply when I answered the OP, upon reflection, you may want to look at post #2 in this thread. 'No' is a pretty specific response.

If you don't like me or my posts, get in line.

I am just suggesting that it is not worth getting all worked up about.

Be happy. You will likely live longer, and if not, at least you will be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 07-12-2010 at 08:58 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
J. Dale Himebaugh
J. Dale Himebaugh is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Karl, I like the way you think.

Karl, I like the way you think. Nice amd analytical. Have you ever (if you haven't already) created a checklist of the basic challenges that might occur on a Segway, especially those that are new to Seg-life like me. You could do a great service to the Seg-community.

Bronco_6

Quote:

1. A new purchase should go right back to the seller, let them worry about it.

2. A new to me purchase is a different story.

3. Common on early gen one machines is that the power cord would not plug into the socket on the segway deep enough (The rubber molded shoulder of the plug would hit the socket walls) and people often thought there were charging problems when it really was not plugged in.

I have not heard of this so much on gen 2 machines, but a small obstruction in the socket, or a bad cord would give the same situation, or potentially could.

4. Batteries, as suspected may be bad

5. Charger on the segway may be bad

6. A whole assortment of other things may be at play.

I found it impossible to conclude a specific answer to the OP question from the information provided. If others could, they are smarter than me.
J. Dale Himebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dale Himebaugh View Post
Karl, I like the way you think. Nice amd analytical. Have you ever (if you haven't already) created a checklist of the basic challenges that might occur on a Segway, especially those that are new to Seg-life like me. You could do a great service to the Seg-community.

Bronco_6
Bronco,

I am more a reactive guy, than a type that tries to predict what may happen in different situations. There are many on this forum who offer up the kind of information you suggested, and much of their information is quite valid.

You should not overlook the documentation from the factory, both that came with the machine, and on their websites and blogs. All good information.

Lastly, I am often here on this forum, and will gladly respond to questions posted, or sent via Private Message, at least as much as I can.

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
bud01234

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile

Quote:
Hey Bud, calm down.

I was responding to the OP, not to you or your post. What's an op?

If you don't like me or my posts, get in line. I really do like you and think you're in the top 5 posters on this board. That's why I was surprised at what I perceived as a negative response to my post. Glad I was wrong.

Be happy. You will likely live longer, and if not, at least you will be happy.
Karl,

I've already lived longer than I expected to and as long as my segway keeps on keeping on, I'll always be happy.

Bud
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
Karl,

I've already lived longer than I expected to and as long as my segway keeps on keeping on, I'll always be happy.

Bud

1. When I say 'op' or 'OP' I am referring to the Original Poster or Original Post.

2. I am glad this little mis-understanding is cleared up.

3. I read years ago a plaque that said “ Time spent sailing is not deducted from your lifespan”.

4. I prefer to apply the same sentiment to segways. Time spent gliding is not deducted from your lifespan.

5. For my sake, I hope time spent driveling on and on at this message board is not either

Tags
battery, i2, red