SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
OregonForester
OregonForester will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That's good advice, but one of the things that I have learned in my life is that you had better be prepared for a battle before you question the "opinion" of a "sworn police officer" that is only 5' tall, and has a "John Wayne" mentality.

(btw....This is the same guy that radared me on a deserted sidewalk/bikepath at 8.1mph and told me that I was going too fast!)

What did Jim Croce say? Something about never "tug on the cape of Superman, never spit into the wind, never pull the mask off of the old Lone Ranger....."

I'm getting too weary for some of the battles in life that I used to relish....
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonForester View Post
That's good advice, but one of the things that I have learned in my life is that you had better be prepared for a battle before you question the "opinion" of a "sworn police officer" that is only 5' tall, and has a "John Wayne" mentality.

(btw....This is the same guy that radared me on a deserted sidewalk/bikepath at 8.1mph and told me that I was going too fast!)

What did Jim Croce say? Something about never "tug on the cape of Superman, never spit into the wind, never pull the mask off of the old Lone Ranger....."

I'm getting too weary for some of the battles in life that I used to relish....

I was at a street festival last year, on my seg, and happened to be with a couple other segs and a cop or two on the intersection of two 'closed to vehicular' traffic streets... I happened to comment about the extra 8 inches or more in height was a nice advantage to being on a segway, when one of the other segway gliders mentioned a booth that was a full block away, and we could see it, but with the throngs of people there, the people with their shoes on the street could not...

All folks there, seggers or not nodded in agreement, except the shortest cop. He glared at me, and in a demanding tone, asked if I was calling him short! Of course, I said no, but one of the taller cops standing next to him chuckled and said, He didn't, but I will!"

Since then, I have a tendency to like taller cops...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
bjorn
bjorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
After a couple of unpleasant encounters with people stepping on the platform (and leaving it laying over backward), I too have taken to backing it against walls and poles(with lock cable), etc. And actually, the alarm does more than just ring - it also locks the wheels, making roll-a-ways virtually impossible. It also guards against people turning it around to step on it.
Hmm, sounds like a good strategy. So far, I've never had anyone stepping onto it, despite parking it regularly in the food court of a busy mall, either with the handlebar against a wall, or just standing up, using the parking stand. I always turn on the alarm, but never heard a peep out of it. Guess I've been lucky, so far.
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #14
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
I too have had people step on my Segway, and when I've confronted them, they've actually given me dirty looks!...as if they've done nothing wrong!

Oddly, too, I have been flagged down while gliding, with a "demand" that I allow them to ride it!

It's a different society than it used to be.
Yeah, people can be so defiant and rude it just amazes me. Last week, the guys that left mine on its back blamed ME for parking it there! Then, they claimed they found it that way (I saw them from accross the street). I should have called the police... but they have better issues to deal with on a friday night.

The ones that demand a test ride are usually young and/or drunk. I either ignore them, or tell them my insurance would not cover them or anything they might damage. That usually puts a stop to it.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

KSagal - I cover mine for the exact reason that you mentioned. The platform is very inviting.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
I too have had people step on my Segway, and when I've confronted them, they've actually given me dirty looks!...as if they've done nothing wrong!

Oddly, too, I have been flagged down while gliding, with a "demand" that I allow them to ride it!

It's a different society than it used to be.
I like to park it where I can see it from a distance, and photograph or record people' reactions to it.

This week, I was gliding in the street behind cars, and some pedestrian yelled, "Hey!! Slow down on that thing!! That thing is ridiculous!!" I don't know how I could go slower considering the back-to-back traffic that I was in. I read his comment to mean, "Hey, I'm insecure and incapable of reading the big "Segway" sign, so I'll call it 'that thing'!"
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, battery, garage, i2, segway