SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default New Trick -- Testing Traction

This has a sort of "Why didn't I think of this before?" flavor -- so it may have been discussed to death ages ago. But I think it's worth noting...

This evening, Erika and I visited a friend on their houseboat. With me on my Segway, of course. It was raining. It was low tide, so the ramp down to their boat was quite steep, and wet, and a new aluminum ramp I hadn't tried before.

It struck me, I could actually test it before I committed myself. So I dismounted, and with the Seg in RBM, I let it down onto the ramp, and subjected it to "violent" (as violent as you can get without driving it out of RBM) motion up and down the ramp, with me standing safely at the head.

(Carefully NOT letting it get out of RBM, which could be awkward and might possibly lead to dropping it).

With as much acceleration as I could muster in RBM, there was no slippage. Since I wasn't planning on accelerating hard, I knew it would be safe, and I had no problem.

I took it right down onto the finger dock, but there are lots of places I wouldn't do that, where the docks are too tippy, or there's too much wave or wake motion to be safe.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I've always thought that for a boat, ship or RV the segway is the perfect addition for getting around while "parked"

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I would be nervous about posting or depending too much on the traction from a machine in RBM because of the weight and balance differences.

When a machine has no rider, the weight is below the axle, mostly, in that the batteries make a great pendulum weight. The machine balances pretty naturally, and has very small corrections to make.

When a machine has a rider, especially a tall rider who may not be too light, there is a large amount of weight way above the wheels, and any incline, out of balance condition, or corrections have got to include much more torque, to move the greater mass, that is farther from the axle.

Because of this, I believe that an empty machine on a wet ramp may act very differently than that same machine on that same ramp with a large man on it...

Just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
I've always thought that for a boat, ship or RV the segway is the perfect addition for getting around while "parked"
I see a lot of drawbacks unless you leave it behind in storage. I used to live on a sailboat. While I can see ways of getting it aboard or ashore, they're all a lot of hassle, and I'd expect corrosion to be a problem as well. And stowing something that big and heavy and awkwardly shaped would be a huge problem.

The problems diminish with the size of the boat, however. With a big enough boat, you can comfortably have a fleet of them -- and might even need them aboard.

But houseboats are a different story. These are permanently-moored; many have been in one spot for decades. Still, space is at a premium.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote