SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
segaddict
segaddict is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Locking the Seg or having a Quick Release?

I have an I2, a Segway lock kit, and a quick release. Looking at the lock kit and the quick release briefly (I do mean "briefly"). It does not appear that they cannot be used together.

Are my suspicions correct or have I not given it enough inspection?
segaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You are correct, you have to choose one or the other

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Well, the quick-release doesn't work at all.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Well, the quick-release doesn't work at all.
Yes it does. It releases just fine!

It just doesn't do anything else. Including holding the LSF in alignment. I've never been even remotely willing to use mine in actual gliding.

What I've found is, it's actually a tool-less release, NOT a quick release. That's even its correct name. It's NOT as quick to release as the lock release + a suitable hex wrench.

In other words -- unless you're particularly phobic about carrying around and potentially losing a small tool, there are NO advantages, and MANY disadvantages to the tool-less release. And the disadvantages make it unsuited for the purpose anyway, so buck up, stick a hex wrench securely in your bag, and a spare somewhere, and get yourself the one for the lock.

Even if you don't buy the lock, it's a better screw than the standard one -- quicker to remove by spinning it between your fingers. If I were INC I'd just make it standard.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
segaddict
segaddict is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs down Thanks!

Thank you all for suggestions. My tool-less release actually does work and quicker than carrying a wrench and doing it that way, but I have wondered why bother? The quick release, purchased when the I2 was new no longer has a purpose since I carry the Seg in a truck.

Due to the comments/responses I will take it off for the ability to use the lock and the more solidly stabilize the lean-steer.

Graci.
segaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yup - the i2 has a tool-less release, Gen1s had the quick release.

I had both tool-less release and the lock for my i2 and never fitted the tool-less release. The lock was a much better option for me.