SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Lithium Battery Risk Mitigation Guidance for Airline Operators

Let me 1st began by extending my apologies to segrick-ATL for discounting his assertion earlier this fall that the time was near when people with disabilities would be able to fly with their lithium-ion equipped Segways aboard passenger carrying aircraft.

While we were unable to validate his assertions then I can now confirm that he was correct. I have included the below link to the IATA lithium battery risk mitigation guidance for airline operators.

The relevant information begins on page 24 under Battery-Powered Mobility Aids.

While airlines Are NOT Required to transport Segways equipped with lithium-ion batteries for people with disabilities they are certainly now allowed to. I cannot give you a definitive list of those airlines who are now transporting lithium ion equipped Segways for people with disabilities but I can confirm that Southwest Airlines is.

I suggest that you contact the airline which you are scheduled to travel on prior to arrival for your initial departure for the specific airlines policy.

It's a great day for our Segs4Vets recipients and to segrick-ATL I say Hoo-Rah!

http://www.iata.org/publications/Doc...ors-1st-ed.pdf

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-12-08-01.aspx

Last edited by QuadSquad; 12-19-2014 at 11:17 AM..
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Agreed

I too have read and confirmed this information. I find it interesting the Segrick-ATL had information that IATA and PHMSA both seemingly knew nothing about this change that was coming when I contacted them. Maybe I should hire Segrick since he obviously has some connections!!
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

December 8 was a big day. Thank you IATA! As mentioned, CAN carry, not shall carry. It will take time, and discipline from the public. With opportunity comes responsibility.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadSquad View Post
Let me 1st began by extending my apologies to segrick-ATL for discounting his assertion earlier this fall that the time was near when people with disabilities would be able to fly with their lithium-ion equipped Segways aboard passenger carrying aircraft.

While we were unable to validate his assertions then I can now confirm that he was correct. I have included the below link to the IATA lithium battery risk mitigation guidance for airline operators.

The relevant information begins on page 24 under Battery-Powered Mobility Aids.

While airlines Are NOT Required to transport Segways equipped with lithium-ion batteries for people with disabilities they are certainly now allowed to. I cannot give you a definitive list of those airlines who are now transporting lithium ion equipped Segways for people with disabilities but I can confirm that Southwest Airlines is.

I suggest that you contact the airline which you are scheduled to travel on prior to arrival for your initial departure for the specific airlines policy.

It's a great day for our Segs4Vets recipients and to segrick-ATL I say Hoo-Rah!

http://www.iata.org/publications/Doc...ors-1st-ed.pdf

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-12-08-01.aspx
Its worth watching this video from the document above just for an overview of the issues Involved for the airlines in carrying mobility devices. The more we understand about the general issues, the more understanding we can be when we have to deal with them on Segway related issues.

I look forward to reports about your experiences in these areas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
sitseg
sitseg has a spectacular aura aboutsitseg has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default Skeptical - Still researching

I plan on looking more into this issue over the next few weeks, but;

I still have not seen any NEW ,during 2014, change published in the Federal Register.

I have seen no change in 49 CFR * regarding the 25 gram limit or total battery weight limit. They are still UN class 9.

I have not seen a waiver by the "Director" on this issue.

Any of the above changes would convince me that there was a change in Federal Law.

IATA is a trade association, and any press release or publication it releases DOES NOT change Federal Law. A mistake in perception and wording may have happened. Some new mobility devices, Wheelchairs and scooters are using lithium batteries that fall within the 49 CFR * requirements.

Page 16 of the IATA publication show an Australian dangerous good notice that would still require a segway size lithium to be transported as hazmat.
Page 24 of the same publication, speaks of mobility aids with Watt-hour ratings as high as 700Wh.

A lithium polymer at 700 Wh will/can meet the <25gram and total battery weight requirements. The Segway Lithium is 765.44Wh. It exceed the 25 gram and total weight limits, as it has since the promulgation of the rules.

I don't believe IATA took Segways into account when issuing this blanket assertion. They may issue a clarification when made aware of the specs.

I think Segs4Vets, DRAFT, should not notify segway recipients until the issue is clearly stated by a US regulatory body.

If you want to discuss the issue, call my cell.
sitseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
segrick-ATL

5 yr Member

I guess time will tell. CFR 175.10 (17) revision Oct 2014.
Seems like some airlines may develop policies to adhere to this, the IATA guidance and ACAA 14 CFR 382 as well.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I think the first thing to realize is that the federal laws for shipping these batteries has not changed because of this topic. What occurred is that there is now a provision for persons traveling with a "non-collapsable mobility aid" that now there is no limit on the
Watt-hour rating of lithium batteries. No laws have changed for companies (like mine) shipping these batteries but rather they have created an exception that "allows" but does not require the airlines to accommodate a passenger with a disability on a lithium powered device.

In closure I feel IATA will likely issue to addendum to this notice as well at some point to clarify. Their wording is vague enough that I feel the Segway is applicable and that it is currently very valid. My personal feeling is that they intentionally allowed the wording to be somewhat open ended so the airlines can accept/deny on a case by case basis.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
sitseg
sitseg has a spectacular aura aboutsitseg has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

First, I want to thank SegRick for posting the revision date. I had used the first Google site for finding my 49CFR * info, and it did not have the Oct. 2014 revision. I am now using a site with all of the current revisions.

I know that Lithium Polymer batteries are in a new UN class (3481) , but I am still concerned with the 5Kg maximum battery size in the table in 49CFR172.101 concerning passenger aircraft. Each Segway lithium weighs 5.15 Kg.

If mobility aids lithiums are unlimited then theoreticlly the a scooter could have a battery exceeding 35Kg, which cannot be shipped by cargo without Associate Administrator approval. I have recently seen a one-off scooter that had a speed in excess of 15 mph and distance greater than 50 miles with a 20+ kg battery.

I am aware that many airlines have changed their websites, concerning lithiums and mobility devices, but I also have seen airlines post fallacious information, that was corrected after I called them.

I am going to continue to research the issue, to determine if device trumps weight or weight trumps device. Nothing would make me happier, than if all disabled Segway users can fly with their Segways.

I hope my next post is to apologize to Segrick for doubting his first post on this issue.

Merry Christmas
sitseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
segrick-ATL

5 yr Member

I look forward to your happiness. Call Delta reservations and ask for a read of their policy for lithium battery Segways. Same for other airlines. This will show how they are weaving the information into a policy they can substantiate and follow. If they have a plan- great, move on. It will take time. Its worth the call. You won't see a posting that says, park Segway over here, but they do what is safe and lawful to get your mobility device on the flight to meet you in your destination. Be careful to not Over think the regulations. Its easy to do if you know a lot a about the subject. Let us know how the call goes.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Hans Willems
Hans Willems is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default question

Hi All, mary Christmas!

I have wondered myself if a airliner would take my i2 I use it instead of a scootmobile.
I now have asked KLM in Amsterdam if they would do so, I will let you know the outcome.

Have a happy and safe gliding 2015!!
Hans Willems is offline   Reply With Quote