SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default new tool for disability issues

I received this:
The Department of Justice is pleased to announce that, as of today, individuals wishing to file ADA complaints with the Department will be able to fill out the form and submit it completely electronically. Filers will also immediately receive a "reference number" that can be used whenever contacting the Department about that complaint. Please visit www.ada.gov to view the new electronic form. Effective March 15, 2015, e-mail complaints will no longer be accepted by the Department. However, complaints will still be accepted by U. S. mail. Contact the Department's ADA Information Line at 1-800-514-0301 (v); 1-800-514-0383 (tty) to receive a paper complaint form by mail.

It struck me today that this can be a very powerful tool. In fact, so powerful that it must be used wisely!

Suppose you encounter a person or business that is adamant about denying you proper access. If you've reached a stalemate simply whip out your smart phone or iPad and file a complaint then and there. Add photos if appropriate. Most people and businesses will not soon forget the shock of being hit with the reality of an immediate federal violation being filed and its impeding investigation.

As I said, that must be used wisely! But that leads me to another idea, not as drastic, but equally satisfying (evil grin). If you live in an area where handicap parking space is frequently abused, why not send photos, licence plate, front window with no hang tag etc to your highway patrol or DOT or whatever. Again, due caution! Don't make unsupported assumptions! Stores won't do it around here and police say it is private property so this is not being enforced at all.

Do I sound a bit militant? Actually I'm trying to work some of that annoyance off before I schedule a face to face confrontation with the board of the Missouri department of conservation over my right to use my Seg on MDC property with out having to get a permit every year for every one of their thousands of sites I might want to use. After six years of my hounding them, they are still classifying Hoveround wheelchairs and mobility scooters (yes you read that right) as EPAMDs along with Segways and requiring a permit for their use.

When I get a bit more time i'll share some of my arguments on the illegality of their approach and disability permit system for anyone who might need it.

Anyway, it the need arises, you can now file a complaint simply and immediately...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote