SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Here We Go, No Time To Waist

DRAFT has been closely monitoring a class action case that involves Disney World's refusal to allow persons with disabilities to bring a Segway into the park.

DRAFT did not instigate this lawsuit and we are not a party to it, but it affects all of our members.

The parties have reached a settlement that affects every class member, including you. The settlement denies people with disabilities the right to bring their Segway into the both the Florida and California theme parks. Instead, it allows Disney to develop their own standing electric convenience vehicle that it will rent to people with mobility disabilities who need them, as long as the supply lasts.

DRAFT strongly disapproves of this settlement

We need your help to show the court why we object. We have prepared a fillable form declaration for you to fill out and return that we will file on your behalf in court. It is important that not only all of our members participate to ensure that the settlement does not go through but that you reach out to others with disabilities who use the Segway as their assistive device to encourage them to participate as well.

By remaining silent and allowing this proposed settlement to take effect you will forever foreclose your ability to use a Segway as your mobility device at Disney venues in both Florida and California.

The notice of class action settlement which describes the terms of the settlement and the class member's obligations if they intend to object is available in PDF format on the DRAFT webpage. The hearing to approve or disapprove of the settlement will be on March 31, 2009 in Orlando, Florida. However, all of the objections must be filed by March 12, 2009 we need your completed declarations by March 1, 2009 .

DRAFT has retained an attorney to assist in filing the objections and to appear in court on our behalf. If you would like to object to the proposed settlement you may do so by completing the declaration available on www.draft.org and submitting it to us.

The direct link to the Disney Class Action Information is:
http://208.112.97.123/DisneyClassAct...0/Default.aspx

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #22
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Forms submitted. The fax shows as being queued; hopefully your fax machine is very busy.

Thank you!

[Edit: The fax shows as successful].
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I submitted my form online but had a few questions. First, do I need to put in the date and city and state or will DRAFT fill that out universally? Second, can I scan the form and submit it via e-mail and if so, which e-mail address should I use? I want to make sure this all gets done right. I have been in touch with a few lawyers for a few days now, because I objected to the settlement from the beginning (I first heard on Saturday, got an e-mail from the Baker law office or something like that). They all wanted a retainer in which I could not afford.

One thing I have going is that my family owns a timeshare in Kissimee so that shows due cause to go to Disney World and I have, on a couple of occassions, made use of that. Anyways, Alan, I sent you a pm with the same questions as above, please do answer either on here or on pm. Very few things distract me from my current political campaign (which is why I haven't been on much lately), but standing up for the rights of myself and the disabled community in general is one of them. Thanks!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 02-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to fill out this important form.

You should fill in all info including date, city and state. We would prefer a fax but if you must email send it to me at amaccini@ draft.org.

Again for all who can please fax or mail.

Be Big,
AMAC

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #25
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

If scan-and-email doesn't work, I use www.trustfax.com for things like this.

I just realized there appears to be a (long-forgotten) phone outlet near my fax machine/scanner/printer, so I could fax directly, but this way I have a record.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #26
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

On realizing that today is Charles Darwin's 200th birthday, I realized that I mis-dated the form. My watch is wrong -- it got water in it when I was out segging in the rain (my weekly visit to the vampires).

So what do I do? Resubmit? I put Feb 14, 2009.

I was surprised and puzzled by what my watch told me, but I've come to believe mechanical devices a bit too much.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to fill out this important form.

You should fill in all info including date, city and state. We would prefer a fax but if you must email send it to me at amaccini@ draft.org.

Again for all who can please fax or mail.

Be Big,
AMAC
OK, thanks! I will try finding a free online fax source. I have to head to work now, get off at 11:00 P.M. CST, but expect to have it by the morning either by fax or e-mail! Thank you! This is very important, and, given enough people and exposure, could potentially (in my opinion at least), be a turning point for all of us!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #28
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
On realizing that today is Charles Darwin's 200th birthday, I realized that I mis-dated the form. My watch is wrong -- it got water in it when I was out segging in the rain (my weekly visit to the vampires).

So what do I do? Resubmit? I put Feb 14, 2009.

I was surprised and puzzled by what my watch told me, but I've come to believe mechanical devices a bit too much.
Bob,

I'm sure the 2/14/09 date is fine as long as the email and fax match.

(This way you have a couple of days in case you want to reconsider your objection - J)
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #29
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

While I'm in no great hurry to use my Segway i2 at any of Disney's parks here in Florida, it occurs to me that the primary reason to bar Segways is to force persons who are unable to maneuver their parks by walking to rent their so called "scooters" at $42.00 per day. This practice exists at Busch Gardens, Epcot, WDW, The Florida State Fair and other venues that attract senior citizens with mobility issues. Near the entrance to any of the above mentioned attractions are stores such as Target, Publix and Sweetbay, each of which has the same electric scooters available within their stores at NO CHARGE whatsoever! The exclusion of Segway at any of these stores have yet to be tested by me personally, but the point is moot when scooters are offered at no cost. This issue at Disney and other parks is simply one of monetary gain for their coffers but further erodes patronage because of the combined high cost of a single day entry, high priced food & beverages plus the added scooter rental fee. The plethora of merchandise offered for sale at these parks places them in the same category as a "store" such as Target. There's little difference in the style of high priced fuzzy animals, T-shirts, baseball caps, etc. which are sold at theme parks compared to similar merchandise sold at Target for much less money. The daily rental rate over a one year period brings in over $15,000 per scooter to their cash box. The style pictured is very close to the rental scooters I've seen at a variety of local parks. The current retail price for this item is $849.00! Your best protest for this slanted business practice is to sell your Disney stock tomorrow morning! RAY-NER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stingray-3-wheeled-electric-scooter-big.jpg (23.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

The urgency of this matter is such that I would like to give this post a bump. Please check the DRAFT website at draft.org and accurately complete the declaration.

-Fred
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote