SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Kicked out of outdoor shopping center

Spent an hour or two shopping at a local outdoor mall. I was looking at an Apple mouse at the Apple store. They had no problem with me entering on the mini pro then ponying it around. Then I looked at the GoPro Session 5 at an electronics store.

It was easier to park way out from the busy area and then ride in. The Mini made faster shopping the widely placed stores. I had trucked all over the place at about walking speed when the shopping center security found me.

Liability keeps them from allowing wheeled things to be ridden there. Even kids with wheels in their sneaker soles are banned because the company owners fear accidents from their uneven sidewalks.

First time I ran into this. Transportation of the future that has to be parked off company propery? Sounded like it wouldn't even be allowed to be parked in the parking lot with other vehicles.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Lets examine the realities here - Why you can't ride in many places is actually pretty simple to understand if you look at it logically

When you're on private property (like a mall or shopping center or a store) which is open to the public, there will always be liability issues . . . . especially if you don't have proof of liability insurance - If you were to run into a patron who ended up on the ground with a skull fracture it's very likely the injured party would sue . . . . who? Do you have liability insurance which would cover a $500K hospital bill? Unlikely. The negligence lawsuit would be aimed at the property owner who 'allowed' you to ride your 'transportation of the future' device among pedestrians without regard for any harm you might inflict operating it in a crowded environment

These sorts of liabilities are the main reason why the 'transportation of the future' isn't even allowed on public sidewalks in many localities. You can't use 'todays primary form of transportation' (cars) without having liability insurance to cover your actions when you harm other parties - Why should the 'transportation of the future' be any different?

We travel lots with our Segs and we've ridden them all over dozens of cities and towns. We're always appreciative when we're allowed to ride anywhere, but we fully understand when there are restrictions and why they are imposed. We have never even thought of trying to ride in a mall, any store or on any private property where business is being conducted - We just assume we wouldn't be allowed to ride there and for good reason. We automatically assume if bicycles aren't allowed, Segs won't be allowed either. I've never seen anyone riding a bike in a mall or a store . . . . well, other than when negligent parents allow their kids to ride the bikes they have no intention of buying in a department store

*You* don't have to do anything wrong - Someone could stumble into your path and when they hit the ground it would automatically be assumed the accident was your fault . . . . if you hadn't been riding there, it wouldn't have happened. That's not true of course, but that's how it would be viewed by the injured party and probably by most witnesses as well

Maybe one day liability insurance will be mandated for the transportation of the future and I'm sure that will open up many more gliding locations, but until then it's understandable why there are restrictions in so many places. As much as I love Segs and riding them, if I owned a store or shopping center or a mall I'm afraid I would have to ban them too

Don

Last edited by Don M; 04-06-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Pescador12

5 yr Member

It is their property, they can do what they want. I have Amazon for my shopping needs when I am banned. I had free time to waste shopping while waiting for tires to be mounted to a spare set of truck rims. Talked to security then I left. No big deal. Tire shop employees noted that the shopping center used to use big Segways for their security people. We all thought it was funny.

I have seen a big Segway ridden in the electronics store. They (that store's greeter) didn't seem sure about the issue so I pony'd it, anyway. I joked with him that he should have tackled me since I had a running camera on me as I entered. He pointed me to the new cameras that could do 4k at 60fps. My camera is lacking. Trees are blossoming and need filming.

The mini pro can hardly cause the damage a 3,000+ lbs and 100mph, car can. Since a mishandled car ("todays primary form of transportation") can rip through a house, or a parade crowd, they require insurance to use. They also require proof that you can drive due to the hazard that exists with cars. Liability insurance needed by the mini pro is the same liability insurance joggers and power walkers need (knocking someone down damage potential).
Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
It is their property, they can do what they want. I have Amazon for my shopping needs when I am banned. I had free time to waste shopping while waiting for tires to be mounted to a spare set of truck rims. Talked to security then I left. No big deal. Tire shop employees noted that the shopping center used to use big Segways for their security people. We all thought it was funny.

I have seen a big Segway ridden in the electronics store. They (that store's greeter) didn't seem sure about the issue so I pony'd it, anyway. I joked with him that he should have tackled me since I had a running camera on me as I entered. He pointed me to the new cameras that could do 4k at 60fps. My camera is lacking. Trees are blossoming and need filming.

The mini pro can hardly cause the damage a 3,000+ lbs and 100mph, car can. Since a mishandled car ("todays primary form of transportation") can rip through a house, or a parade crowd, they require insurance to use. They also require proof that you can drive due to the hazard that exists with cars. Liability insurance needed by the mini pro is the same liability insurance joggers and power walkers need (knocking someone down damage potential).
I'm not sure I understand the point(s) you are trying to make.

Did you inform the management of the outdoor mall that you will never shop there because of their policy banning wheeled things?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Not sure here what is being advocated for either.

If told I cannot do a thing on private property, I have to asses the value to me of being there, and the value of doing that thing. If I want to do the thing more than I want to be there, I leave. If I want to be there more than doing the activity I am told to stop, then I stop doing it.

Either way, if a spurious rule or command is given to me, and I do not relay the impact of that to the management of the location (i.e. tell the mall management that you will not shop there because you were told not to use your device) then they will never know that they lost a customer, and why.

Educate someone. Educate the mall management, or us to not go there. Make your message clear.

And for the record, not all states require insurance for cars, but I am unaware of any that allow for driving them on public streets without a license. I am not aware of any that require insurance for cars on private property. Also, being liable for someone's damage when you did not cause it is a function of the courts, not people's claims. You need not have liability insurance for things you did not do, even if someone claims it falsely. You do need to be prepared to defend yourself in court however.

And have a nice day. Don't let the small stuff make you sweat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 04-09-2017 at 10:28 AM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Pescador12

5 yr Member

It is the first time I actually ran into someone objecting. I was surprised. A big outdoor shopping center? Seemed silly (they have owned their own Segays). I am not going to aggravate an employee (managers, security) when the owners are investors, lawyers, CEO's, in that probably live in other states. Easy to stay away from there. Parking is horrible anyway. Tiny slots to park in. Park a mile out and ride in seems ideal (modern transportation), but not permitted.

I haven't encountered individual stores that had issues riding into them then dismounting. No one seems to notice the thing since everyone knows what a segway/hoverboard is. They don't care.

I don't think liability insurance should be needed for these things.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
I am not going to aggravate an employee (managers, security) when the owners are investors, lawyers, CEO's, in that probably live in other states. Easy to stay away from there. .
So, we are the only folks who know why you are staying away from that mall.

And we don't know what mall you are staying away from.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote