SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default i180 Taillight

I don't think I'll ever get to the level of Karl or Jonathan, but I added a taillight to my i180 for nighttime riding. This unit is a Cateye TL-LD600.

The bracket was made from 0.064" aluminum sheet that mounts under two of the platform cover screws. The mat lays over the bracket without any modification.

The light clips in and out of its own mount, so I can remove it when it's not in use. It is almost too bright to look at directly.

This photo and more at http://home.gci.net/~glen/segway/pic/index.html under the heading "Illumination."

Glen
glen_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Very neat installation! However, at a time when car makers have been required to put a high viz rear light at a level higher than standard car tail-lights, is this light in the right place? I commute every day, rain or shine on my Segway in London, none of this on the sidewalk (very illegal for bikes and presumably Segways until the authorities decide what a Segway is here) and I have a rear light on the back of my cycle helmet, like most cyclists in London- in fact many helmets now have a mounting point specifically for this. It is also possible to fit a cateye rear light designed for the seat post of a bicycle on the extreme end of the segway handlebar, in my case on the right but for Americans on the left behind the twist grip. Will try and post a photo...
Isidore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
pegg696
pegg696 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Glen is my new hero...

Dave from Metro Detroit.
pegg696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Georgem
Georgem is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Esteemed Glen!

Your articles are marvelous!
Thank you for your time and efforts.
Georgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:45 AM   #5
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Isidore,

I agree that the placement of the taillight is not optimal, but I believe it is sufficient for my circumstance. It's also the cleanest placement I could devise on the Segway while factoring in visibility from both rear quarters. I can imagine riding a Segway on the road would make this issue a lot more important to me!

I don't wear a helmet on my Segway, my bike, my speed skates, my roller blades, or my skis. I used to wear one skydiving though . . . so I didn't bump my head on the airplane

I ride my i180 on bicycle trails and sidewalks (legal here), and my main exposure to hazard is while crossing as a pedestrian would at signalled intersections. These intersections have a large volume of high-speed traffic with complex patterns. I feel I am exposed to less hazard at intersections without signals because they typically handle low volumes of traffic. Barring the driver's acknowledgement, I can easily yield to the traffic (even when I have the right-of-way) rather than trust they will stop or yield to me.

Glen
glen_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Glen, I can see your circumstances are different- here the traffic is much more cut and thrust than in the US and it seems to always be wet and dark so visibility is everything. There are hoards of cyclists especially since the central London Congestion Charge or access toll reached £8.00 or about $14 per day, so at least I am not the only sub 20 mph vehicle! I originally used a velcroed on hand made light bracket on the mudguard of my I167 (much more low rent design than yours) but the I 180 is not so accommodating hence the handlebar location.

At least here at the few pedestrial crossings I use (part of route is on bicycle paths across Hyde Park) there is no trouble getting cars to stop because they all want to look- I am one of only a handful of Segway users in London- In three years of daily Segwaying I have seen only one other glider. As for helmets must confess that after years of resistance I also ski in a helmet, especially in the trees, but that's another story...
Isidore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Glen - I had exactly the same light which I tried (and failed) to fit to my Seg using a variety of "non-permanent" methods. My best attempt involved velcro, but it didn't last very long. Your approach is great. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside, I also glide in the UK - but I stick to the pavements. I think this light will suit me down to the ground - I always new it would - and there's its "Nightrider" mode too!

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
BarnyFife
BarnyFife

5 yr Member

I have a similar light that has a belt clip, it goes on the back of my pants.
BarnyFife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Brandis
Brandis is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I put the backlight onto the sidebag support. That way it is about the same height as it would be on a bicycle.

Marc
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
yosgof
yosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Glen,

Well done indeed.

I've used a rather "traditional" approach to mounting the light

Just used a regular light bracket (bought from Dragan) and mounted a bicycle light with 3 LEDs. Its not too strong but is enough both for visibility and road illumination. I've used this one for half a year now but now I am looking for stronger alternatives.

That's what my Segway looks like with it:

I've mounted it below the handlebar with a downward inclination so as not to shine in the eyes of the pedestrians.

Din't get any remarks so far.

- Yossi
yosgof is offline   Reply With Quote