SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Arrow Are there any good helmet options out there for a Segway?

I would appreciate if you could suggest a decent option for a helmet for riding a Segway.

I am not wearing a helmet either on the Segway or when riding a bicycle. I wear only a racing helmet when I'm racing or drifting on a race track.

Although my friends consider myself being a "safety first" person, I have never used a helmet other than in the car as I mentioned.

However, when gliding the Segway I don't feel the need for wearing a helmet, although Segway recommends the use of a helmet when riding on the Segway. If I'm not mistaken is the ASTM F 2416-04, Standard Specification for Protective Headgear Used in Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong here.

The reason for considering the use of a helmet is the fact that my wife will be using an i2 SE once delivered. I always worry for her safety and I was checking out what options are available for a nice helmet that will do the trick for both of us. Any suggestions?

On a side note, I prefer gliding without a helmet but you never know when something might go wrong, especially when others do not pay any attention when they are around you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

TTBOMK, no one has ever manufactured a helmet designed to meet the ASTM F 2416-04 standard in it's 11 year of existence. The closest thing to the EPAMD standard would be a dual certified bike/skateboard helmet. They offer the protection of a bike helmet with extra protection for the back of the head.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Look at BERN

Several options on the market. Key is to get a Skateboard rated helmet for protection to the back of your head.. Standard bike helmets do not include that level of protection. I've had several spills with one landing me flat on my back . . . . that time my head did not hit the sidewalk but was glad the helmet would have been there.

I use a BERN as it's one of the few with a small visor which helps a bit in the sun/rain.

link is for reference not active

Good Hunting.
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thank you both for your replies and information provided. I'm a bit sceptic whether to use a helmet or not, but this has been discussed in various threads already.

That BERN helmet looks quite decent in terms of looks. I would like to wear a helmet that looks good on the rider.

Are there any other options that looks nice?
and

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I use a motorcycle helmet. Yes, it is a little on the big, heavy, and expensive side. But originally I tried using a bicycle helmet, and I had a crash where I "vaulted" forward due to my own carelessness and landed partly on my face. The bicycle helmet didn't really do anything to help that, and I got bumps, bruises, and a black eye. So that's when I switched to a motorcycle helmet.

When I was wearing the motorcycle helmet, I went too fast over a speed bump and wiped out. I had many injuries and needed stitches, but my head and face were completely unharmed. So I think I made the right choice, at least for me (although obviously I had to replace that particular helmet).
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote