SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Arrow Differences between Segway i2 SE and Segway i2

Hello fellow gliders!

Following my recent adventure with the i2 batteries issue, I feel now stronger with an appetite for more gliding!

Therefore I have placed an order for a Segway i2 SE to join the family. I am happy that I'm getting one now, before Ninebot gets into Segway's shoes but that is another story.

Now, here comes my question regarding the differences between the i2 SE and the i2.

So far I have watch this video below which describes the differences between these two models, however are these the only ones indicated?

I have read that in the i2 SE model there was a common issue regarding the charging procedure which brings up a red light and the suggested solution was to use a timer. In fact, a timer is used as well to the original i2 by some members from what I've read in the forum. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Here is the video I mentioned earlier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

That wasn't an official Segway, Inc. video, but you can be reasonably certain that the dealer covered the important promotional differences. For the most part, the I2 and SE are the same machine. The difference in LeanSteer housing and equivalent added room for ankles is the most important improvement, in my opinion. Eight years after the original I2 was released, that's not exactly a giant leap for mankind.

There are certainly some changes in the internal hardware. For example, I know that the routing of some wiring is changed, which led to some changes in components. I don't know why these changes were made, but I know that they were made. In the end, the I2 and I2SE are functionally equivalent.

I too, read the comments about charging problems for the SE, but there was not any definition of the source of the problem, to my recollection. I had the impression that it was some sort of (temporary) manufacturing problem. Ask your dealer about that.

Some posters here use timers, but most seemingly do not. Segway has charging instructions on their webpage, which do not include a timer, as of the last time I checked (about a month ago). However, Jason at MTO Battery suggests that a timer can be useful for longevity of the batteries. MTO Battery has a very good reputation on this forum, so using a timer seems like very low-cost insurance, although not a requirement.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
Hello fellow gliders!

Following my recent adventure with the i2 batteries issue, I feel now stronger with an appetite for more gliding!

Therefore I have placed an order for a Segway i2 SE to join the family. I am happy that I'm getting one now, before Ninebot gets into Segway's shoes but that is another story.

Now, here comes my question regarding the differences between the i2 SE and the i2.

So far I have watch this video below which describes the differences between these two models, however are these the only ones indicated?

I have read that in the i2 SE model there was a common issue regarding the charging procedure which brings up a red light and the suggested solution was to use a timer. In fact, a timer is used as well to the original i2 by some members from what I've read in the forum. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Here is the video I mentioned earlier.

I have had 2 I2s, one for five years and I just got a new one last year. I have an SE that is about 1 month old. I swap them out and ride the I2 for a week and then the SE for a week. I rely on the segways for mobility, so I need a reliable backup at the ready, consequently the two of them. By switching them regularly, you would notice differences. I will leave the spec diffs (if any, I too am very interested to know if there are any diffs) to the more knowledgble folks here. The only real difference I have noticed in using them is the different length in the "center console" (the SE one is only half as long) It makes it easier for me to mount/dismount the SE (most people probably wouldn't even have a problem with either, but I have trouble picking up my feet, so the console on the SE doesn't obstruct as much. The cover to the AC cord on the SE is a flap that you manually open/close, the I2 one is spring-loaded and closes automatically. But I don't observe any performance differences at all in riding them, they both seem to react the same way, nor have I observed any differences in battery charge length. Most of my gliding is of frequent short duration, so I seldom run the charge down that much, so I may not be the best use profile to detect that.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
That wasn't an official Segway, Inc. video, but you can be reasonably certain that the dealer covered the important promotional differences. For the most part, the I2 and SE are the same machine. The difference in LeanSteer housing and equivalent added room for ankles is the most important improvement, in my opinion. Eight years after the original I2 was released, that's not exactly a giant leap for mankind.

There are certainly some changes in the internal hardware. For example, I know that the routing of some wiring is changed, which led to some changes in components. I don't know why these changes were made, but I know that they were made. In the end, the I2 and I2SE are functionally equivalent.

I too, read the comments about charging problems for the SE, but there was not any definition of the source of the problem, to my recollection. I had the impression that it was some sort of (temporary) manufacturing problem. Ask your dealer about that.

Some posters here use timers, but most seemingly do not. Segway has charging instructions on their webpage, which do not include a timer, as of the last time I checked (about a month ago). However, Jason at MTO Battery suggests that a timer can be useful for longevity of the batteries. MTO Battery has a very good reputation on this forum, so using a timer seems like very low-cost insurance, although not a requirement.
I agree with you, the dealer has done a good job in his video. Actually, it is the only video available describing the differences between those two models.

As for the charging procedure the dealer says just to keep the Segway always plugged in. However, I agree that it makes sense to use a timer. You never know if at some point the Segway will show a red light. Jason at MTO Battery suggests a timer, from what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
I have had 2 I2s, one for five years and I just got a new one last year. I have an SE that is about 1 month old. I swap them out and ride the I2 for a week and then the SE for a week. I rely on the segways for mobility, so I need a reliable backup at the ready, consequently the two of them. By switching them regularly, you would notice differences. I will leave the spec diffs (if any, I too am very interested to know if there are any diffs) to the more knowledgble folks here. The only real difference I have noticed in using them is the different length in the "center console" (the SE one is only half as long) It makes it easier for me to mount/dismount the SE (most people probably wouldn't even have a problem with either, but I have trouble picking up my feet, so the console on the SE doesn't obstruct as much. The cover to the AC cord on the SE is a flap that you manually open/close, the I2 one is spring-loaded and closes automatically. But I don't observe any performance differences at all in riding them, they both seem to react the same way, nor have I observed any differences in battery charge length. Most of my gliding is of frequent short duration, so I seldom run the charge down that much, so I may not be the best use profile to detect that.
Your personal experience is definitely very useful, since you are gliding with both models regularly. I am not expecting any performance difference either, but your feedback is a real life comparison between both models.

My intention was to keep the i2 for myself and the i2 SE for my wife when we will be gliding together. I am sure that see will appreciate the ease of mount/dismount in the SE as you describe.
and

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Jendrik
Jendrik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

There were also some minor quality-issues which changed (batteries, gearbox, etc) They were discussed in German on www.segforum.de
Jendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jendrik View Post
There were also some minor quality-issues which changed (batteries, gearbox, etc) They were discussed in German on www.segforum.de
Thanks for the link!

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote