SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Arrow Killer quote: Compare to a Segway at around $6000 this is a steal!

I was watching this video (check the end of my post), which introduce the HoverTrax by Inventist and a quote from Joalene Jolivette made me pop this question.

What if Segway could manufacture all these gyroscope based products that are out there?

We have seen a lot of products lately that are compared to a Segway. There are clones of Segway and miniature products such as this HoverTrax that people always compare to a Segway. Even the SoloWheel is compared to a Segway, although it is only operated on one wheel.

At the same time, many other brand names are introduced, such us AirWheel, SoloWheel, IO Hawk and last but not least, NineBot which acquired Segway few days ago.

I think that we all agree that everyone wants to own a Segway but people think it is expensive. But I just heard this killer quote IMO, that can easily convince someone to get a HoverTrax because is affordable and still believe that this is a mini Segway.

Here is their conversation:
-Retail price?
-$995
-Thousand bucks?
-Thousand backs.
-Thousand backs. Now that is kinda high.
-Compare to a Segway at around $6000 this is a steal!

What I want to point out is that Segway should have done something better with their R&D department to create a line of products.

What if Segway had a portable Segway product, such as the HoverTrax / IO Hawk?
What if Segway had a product that included small sized different Segway, such as the Solowheel / AirWheel?
What if Segway had a product such as the Ninebot version?
What if Segway had products based on their gyroscope technology firstly applied and introduced years ago in the way Segway revealed back then in the beginning of gliding?

Last but not least, who could blame Segway if there were producing similar products such as those Segway two wheel clones or single wheel products?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of

Last edited by energetic; 04-21-2015 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Added "around" at the title
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I would not want to hit a bump or rock while riding it!....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
I would not want to hit a bump or rock while riding it!....
My thoughts as well. The fact that it requires subtle movements of the feet to steer makes me think it will get nasty quickly if your feet leave the platforms.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
I think that we all agree that everyone wants to own a Segway but people think it is expensive.
Maybe we can all agree that the Segway is expensive.
But we can't all agree that everyone wants one. Not at any price.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #5
Jendrik
Jendrik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hovertrax and these kind of devices are not really safe to ride.
Ok, they are small and "handy" but that´s all. They are not real "transportation devices" like the Segway. They are just fun.
Jendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think we are missing the point here. Let us not focus on the HoverTrax product in the video, but the what if part of it.
and

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Ok, I'll bite. Segway's number one focus from inception was safety. Safety, safety, safety.

Your question "what if Segway made these devices."

I think one of two things would happen.

First, these devices wouldn't be recognizable anymore, because they are much less safe to operate than a Segway. Segway's focus on safety would likely transform these "oddball" self-balancing devices into something more Segway-like.

Second scenario, Segway would make the devices as they appear, possibly with a little extra smarts. Lots of people would get hurt on "segways" and then ruin Segway's image of safety (whether they hold his image with the general public is another question entirely.)

Edit: I think a better question is "what if Segway didn't rest on their laurels and instead continued to develop the Segway platform in earnest instead of coming out with some new colors every half-decade?"

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I think the new Segway Owner's should concentrate 100% of their development effort and all of their revenue sources on developing a seated Segway Model with a self leveling kickstand. I sense there is a rapidly growing retired geezer demographic in China................and me. Selfish I know!
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

Return of the E-Stand? There would be trumpets.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

She lost me at "5mph."
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote