SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
It is always positive to have many options available for any product. Competition is also another thing that usual brings innovation and better products in any industry.
I agree with your statement about competition, but not this definition of it. In a best of all worlds, Segway and Ninebot both stay in business, and both compete. The result is better ninebots, and less expensive Segways. There you have competition working for our benefit.

In this case, where there were two, there is now one. That is not competition, it is less manufacturers. Less is not more competition or more anything, it is less. I hope this works out to be like the above, but fear it will more likely be that Ninebot gets to stop paying lawyers and court costs about stolen technology, Ninebot gets to sell their cheaper scooters in more places, including segway dealers, and the segway as we know it ceases to be made anymore. Instead, cheaper made, Chinese made machines with the Segway name diminish the weak name of segway in the eyes of the public, and that which we have will also be diminished, as the public perception will shift from them being what they are to being another Chinese gimmick product with poor service.

I hope I am wrong, and all goes very well, and fresh ideas and people from China get the segway moving again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile we're just 'early adopters'

Do we say we now own 'proto ninebots'?
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
Do we say we now own 'proto ninebots'?
"Eightbots?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #14
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
...as the public perception will shift from them being what they are to being another Chinese gimmick product with poor service.
So, what is the current public perception? Most people think of Segs as a gimmick product already. For those who know, many have issues with Segway's idea of service.

So, an American gimmick product with poor service?
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Those are my concerns also, KSagal.

I was anxious to buy the new Segway, but for now I'll get my existing one working and wait it out.

By the way, I spotted a Segway glider walking his dog today
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #16
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
So, what is the current public perception? Most people think of Segs as a gimmick product already. For those who know, many have issues with Segway's idea of service.

So, an American gimmick product with poor service?
I'm sure KSagal can speak for himself, but...

I interpret the general public's (people who have never tried one, can't afford one, don't want one) perception of the Segway now to be a toy for the rich, a product for lazy people who don't want to walk and a silly vehicle for authorities ala "Mall Cop." Those are of course misinformed, generalized social perceptions.

The potential buyer's perception or trust is what may alter when buying an American product vs. a Chinese made product.

I have never had issues with Segway's service myself. And I believe that challenging an American company selling gimmicks would be easier if they're held to higher standards and domestic laws. I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #17
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
I'm sure KSagal can speak for himself, but...
I interpret the general public's (people who have never tried one, can't afford one, don't want one) perception of the Segway now to be a toy for the rich, a product for lazy people who don't want to walk and a silly vehicle for authorities ala "Mall Cop." Those are of course misinformed, generalized social perceptions.
As a member of the "general public", I can speak for myself.
Perception is split between the few who perceive the Segway as a transportation device that is too slow, with a limited range, too heavy and awkward to fit into a multi-modal transportation environment and too costly for what it can add to their lives.
And the vast majority who simply don't care. US vs China for a product people have never wanted? That's a tough call.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #18
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

And there is also those with disabilities that have freedom from it!

So of the hundreds of questions I have received, when I tell them its legal on a sidewalk and how it has helped me.....They are surprised but very happy for me....

Cheaper usually doesn't mean better......Means cheaper and you will pay for it in some areas you can see, or worse after its to late?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #19
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
As a member of the "general public", I can speak for myself.
Perception is split between the few who perceive the Segway as a transportation device that is too slow, with a limited range, too heavy and awkward to fit into a multi-modal transportation environment and too costly for what it can add to their lives.
And the vast majority who simply don't care. US vs China for a product people have never wanted? That's a tough call.
That's fair, JohnM. I would just add your perspective to what I shared because I think both are valid windows into the minds of many. Although your perspective is more logical than those I made examples of.

I see the Segway as something that's extremely useful, but my view is personal and maybe not universal.

In NYC, there's a great benefit over public transportation and taxis for short distances, the low cost over time, the ability to take it into high rise elevators. And personally, I do not want to travel fast on anything without an enclosure and seat belt.

But I do want to be able to fold it and go -- which isn't practical unless it's being stuffed into the back of a vehicle.

I'm about to start a post about another alternative that I tried today. Please check it out