SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Leansteer problem

Has anybody ever had this happen?

Recently I laid the segway on it's side to check air pressure, then being lazy (stupid), I attempted to pull it upright by pulling the leansteer sideways. There was a loud POP then when I cleverly pulled it upright by the fenders, the leansteer had a distinct lean to port.

I loosened the 5mm fastener, then rocked the leansteer side to side all the way then put it upright-centered. I tightened the 5mm and everything looked good.

After about a 1 block test drive, suddenly I almost lost control and the leansteer went hard over to the left. I managed to ride back to my garage and repeated the loosening, adjusting, and retightening the 5mm. I tightened it more firmly (don't think I should go any further), then tried it again. Same result; almost crashed.

I hesitate to try to take the leansteer off and actually inspect the wedge clamp assembly, but may have no choice. Any comments/advice appreciated.

Thanks
Bud
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
Has anybody ever had this happen?

I hesitate to try to take the leansteer off and actually inspect the wedge clamp assembly, but may have no choice. Any comments/advice appreciated.

Thanks
Bud
I don't think you have any choice now....Its no big deal to remove it....please keep us informed of what you find.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
bud01234

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
I don't think you have any choice now....Its no big deal to remove it....please keep us informed of what you find.
Thanks airdale!

Actually it's a bit of a pain simply because I hard-wired my tail lights from a switch on the handle bars. (never occurred to me I might have to remove the leansteer someday) lol. Time to pick up some bullet connectors, huh?

bud
Old 03-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default My Two Cents

The original 'pop' while lifting by the LeanSteer is what the disassemble instructions say to force to happen, however with the Wedge Clamp loose.

Expect you will find burrs or marring on the Pivot Base Assembly shaft from where the Wedge Clamp had been mounted. Smooth off the shaft and remount the LeanSteer and all will be right in the world.

My SEG was dealer assembled and always turned just a bit to the left, I tried to adjust it several times without removing the LeanSteer and could not change the left turn issue. Finally got enough courage to remove the LeanSteer and the shaft was burred so the wedge clamp could not settle in a new position.

4+ Years Gliding. 8,111 miles as of this AM
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

MuttonChops is right. I believe you are supposed to just snug it up, and then force it right and left to get the pop, then with it centered, tighten it down.

If you marred the attachment point, the wedges may be clamping onto a burr or imperfection, then at the most in-opportune time it can find, the wedges slip into another position, trying to make you look bad. (and quite possibly succeeding!?)

I agree, check the aluminum mounting surface that the wedges clamp onto to be sure they are free of burrs and scars (sand them smooth if necessary, but try to keep the shape proper) then read the on line instructions that look similar to my first paragraph, snug, pop, tighten them, and then forget about it for another several years.

Then lift by the fenders.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
therealzam
therealzam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default suggestions

You shouldn't have to remove the control rod, just unscrew the screw and try to coax the wedges out. In all likelihood you damaged the threading on either the screw or the wedges (or both). If its the screw, head to your local hardware store for a replacement. If its the wedges, you've got to stop by a dealer. I've always kept an extra set of wedges and screws with me just in case.
therealzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
bud01234

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealzam View Post
You shouldn't have to remove the control rod, just unscrew the screw and try to coax the wedges out. In all likelihood you damaged the threading on either the screw or the wedges (or both). If its the screw, head to your local hardware store for a replacement. If its the wedges, you've got to stop by a dealer. I've always kept an extra set of wedges and screws with me just in case.
Thanks Therealzam,
I don't think any threads are stripped; everything seems to tighten up fine. Then the leansteer suddenly comes loose after riding for a block or so. I forgot to swing the leansteer from side to side to get the pop this last time (as Karl mentioned) before tightening the last time, but it also sounds like there might be some burring that might need sanding. I'll take it out and look at it then get back to you all this weekend.

Thanks everybody-
bud