SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Stuff to Buy and Sell

Notices

Stuff to Buy and Sell Classified ads for anything Segway-related accessories, products and sales.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default NEEDED: Gen1 Twist Grip, or...

...maybe some way to fix mine. The rubbery grip material on my Gen1 twist grip is pretty much shredded. It's so bad, it's becoming unsafe - my hand gets sweaty and slips. I don't see any on the Segway Junkyard, although if I call Steve, he might be able to find one. But the last time I spoke with him about them, the cost was pretty up there - hundred bucks or more.

Do you think there is some coating or something I can apply to mine to make it similar to the original? I'd, of course, have to remove all of what's left of mine. Maybe I could wrap it in something like leather. I'm not sure what to do, but I know I'll have to do something soon.

I have to make a trip to the SF Bay Area to return a gift I can't use anymore, so if there is anyone in the Sacto or Bay Area that can help me out, I'd appreciate it. I still have a pair of used i180 tires and a 25.0 Cargo System Bag with rack for trading purposes.

Thanks,

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Jim,

If the plastic is intact, I have a thought.

Over the years, I have used a rubber compound for many purposes that may work well for you...

There is a rubber compound that comes as a liquid, and is easily available at most hardware, tool, and home improvement stores.

The rubber is often thought of as a tool cover, as most of us have seen the metal handles of wrenches and pliers are coated in this rubber (which comes in many colors).

The rubber is liquid, and you can dip the handles in the rubber, and then allow it to harden in the air.

I made a parking stand for my i2 years ago from a bolt into the bottom of the factory parking stand, and had dipped the whole bolt and fittings in this rubber, and allowed it to dry. That parking stand served me well for years.

You can use this rubber in its liquid form to paint onto the plastic grip, and when it dries, it will give you a much better hand grip. (As you said, you will have to take off the flaking rubber that is on your grip now)

One other consideration would be for you to take that part off your segway, and dip it in the rubber. I would not suggest this because you will get rubber inside the plastic grip and will have to remove it before reassembly.

I just thought of another potential solution for you...

There are various tapes you could use. There are sports tapes that are used for the handles of raquets and hockey sticks you might use. There is also a rubber tape that will be in the plumbing section of Home Depot, that is designed to only stick to itself, is very stretchy and form fitting, so you wrap several layers around that part, and the tape will self stick and make a good rubber (silicone) surface for your hand...

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:03 AM   #3
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks Karl. Some good ideas there. I had thought about that tool handle dip stuff before, but left the idea alone because of the part about it getting inside. But now that you brought it up, I'm wondering if there isn't something I could "mount" the grip onto temporarily. Like a dowel or large cork. Then after the dip dries, I can use a sharp knife to trim the dip clean where it attaches to the "stoppers" and pull them loose.

Or that racquet tape. I never thought about that. That might be even easier and look just as good (yes, vanity plays a role too).

The plumbing tape isn't meant to be handled much though. It also has a kind of sticky feel to it that makes you want to wash your hands all the time. I've used that stuff for other purposes before and don't think that would be a good solution.

I gotta go to Reno tomorrow, so I'll see if I can find some of that racquet tape.

Thanks for the great ideas.

Jim
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

PM sent.

Jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks Jeff. I think you solved my problem.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I have much love for http://sugru.com/

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That's some amazing stuff.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I have much love for http://sugru.com/
It's great stuff, I used the magnet kit to attach my headlight to the top of the leansteer

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #9
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Still looking for one or did Jeff help you?
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Jeff has offered to help me out... again. Great guy.