SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-10-2003, 04:06 AM   #31
Sid Viscous
Sid Viscous

5 yr Member

Call Segway.

But one thing you could do is condintion your batteries again.

The abttery indicator is an average voltage reading and there is the posibilty of a wonky cell because shutdown happens when any cell drops below a certain point, though the average reading shows x amount of juice.

This is done to protect the battery cells.
Sid Viscous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #32
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Segway just asked me to let them know if I continue having problems and they will replace anything under warranty that needs replacing.

I'm sending them updates regularly so they know what's up. I wanted to do some tests between two Segway HTs and I just finished them (and they show that the first unit has a serious battery/battery gauge problem I'll call over there on Monday and see what they can do . . .

They take pretty good care of us all...

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #33
Notasperfectasyou
Notasperfectasyou is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i180 used by my wife for handicap mobility

We need the Segway to run and we can't have it shutting down like this. I need help getting to the root of the issue. My wife's i180 has never done this before. I apprecaite any help and with this issue. Thank you.

Last week we could not start the i180, starting it just took the machine into red wrench with 20 beeps and a shutdown. I took the batteries off for 90 minutes and the machine started running normally again.

This week my wife told me it started beeping at her and she did all she could to get to the entry way of the church before she got planted. She's been planted before, so she knows that she has limited time.

I took the i180 out tonight to try and replicate the issue. I rode around, leaned the machine into a wall for a while. Could not get the stick shake beeping red face issue my wife reported.

Then I took it out in the driveway. There are uneven parts of the driveway that make some bumps and going over them 5mph-ish got me the safety shutdown. Stick shake, beeping from the base, red unhappy face and when I got off, red wrench and then shut down.

I turned it back on and rode around fine until I hit the bump again. Then got the same shut down behavior. While I think the debate about how long it takes to shut down it interesting, I really would like to stop this from occuring and prevent it.

Can anyone shed light on a solution? Thanks for thinking about this. I appreciate it. Ken
Notasperfectasyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #34
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi

I have sent you a private message.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #35
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

What was the "battery pack" indication during the shutdown? (the ring around the circle).

This sounds very much like a loose connection somewhere (perhaps at the battery connector). It may not be easy to diagnose.

Is this your only Segway?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #36
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I suggest you remove the handlebars from the base and with a flashlight cafefully examin the wires from the bottom connector going into the base inside the tube . At one time there was a problem with the handlebar tube pinching this section of the wires and causing intermittent shorting on the generation one segways. I once had similar symptoms to your wifes. Every time I hit a bump or dropped off a curb it would short the wire.

If on inspection the insulation around the wire looks good, disregard this post
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #37
Notasperfectasyou
Notasperfectasyou is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Dale,

The ring was full. The Segway is charging normally, green lights etc. This is our only Segway. Our backup machine is a Handicap scooter.

Thanks for your interest and thoughts. Ken
Notasperfectasyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #38
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notasperfectasyou View Post
Hi Dale,

The ring was full. The Segway is charging normally, green lights etc. This is our only Segway. Our backup machine is a Handicap scooter.

Inspect the handlebar cables, as MagiMike suggested.

Closely check the battery connectors (on the batteries and on the Segway), and clean them. You can get cleaner at your local electronics place. Or get DeoxIT.

[It has been suggested by others that very slightly bending the contact pins to the side will improve reliability. I just mention this for completeness]

Make sure that all 4 of the screws attaching the batteries are tight. Install the center two first, then the outside two. Tightening Torque: 1.0 N-m (8.9 in-lbf)

Also check (from the top) to make sure that all four "rider detect switches" are clean and move freely.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #39
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notasperfectasyou View Post
Hi Dale,

On your segway, the ring of segments that normally make up the battery display change to indicate errors. After the emergency shutdown, it will stop displaying your battery and the segments indicate the error.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #40
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
On your segway, the ring of segments that normally make up the battery display change to indicate errors. After the emergency shutdown, it will stop displaying your battery and the segments indicate the error.
I believe that depends on what else is shown.

As I recall, a full ring with the wrench symbol indicates a "platform fault".

That might indicate a control-shaft-cord problem, a battery-connection problem, or ....................