SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

No.

I believe a lot of the misalignment is from Segway not properly installing the requires 2 sets of gaskets, to mate perfectly into the milled sides of the i2's wheel extensions, as they were originally designed. I do not believe the acid in the compound had anything to do with the poor alignment, per se.

Excess RTV compound on mine, was slathered thickly between the interface zones, pushing the flat sides unevenly away from each other, much like a mound of peanut butter between two slices of bread. Even one coupler housing had excess black rubber MIXED IN with the shredded coupler-bits. That should never have occurred. A partial thumbprint with RTV was also found, still on the motor-side of the coupler. I was saddened to see that sealing these looked like a complete rush-job, when I had to deal with it about 2500 miles later.

So, no. I think buying the 2 sets of gaskets is the proper thing to do. Remember to remove all excess sealer with a wire brush, and clean them up perfectly, before closing them. This will ensure the milled surfaces will be touching properly, just as they were designed. And the gaskets are cheap. Get 2 sets, if you have an older unit. Pull each section apart, clean, insert gasket, then close them with a rubber mallet. No excess compound, no misalignment from excess material. No stuff getting into the coupler...

It's my understanding this area has been revisited and updated (including a hardened single piece axle). To my ears, new machines are MUCH quieter than my early unit, so it might be well worth getting new transmissions if you really want to improve the longevity, and dampen the acoustic properties of your Segway for the long term.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_d View Post
That's interesting. It might be worth removing the existing silicone and replacing it with an appropriate amount of silicone sealer for aquariums (no acetic acid).

GD
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
theglide
theglide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Does the x2 have this problem?
theglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglide View Post
Does the x2 have this problem?
As far as I know, the x2 uses the same couplers.

Glen
glen_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I just checked the factory repair manual for the i180... (I don't have one for the i2) and the gearbox bolt is listed there as:

Gearbox 3 M8 x 1.25 x 34 Socket Head 1695000001 T-45 40.0 N-m

In the required tools section it lists:

Torx T-45 3/8” drive

That's all the info I have to go by, I'll take my i2 apart next week and see if there is a difference.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Arturas
Arturas is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default elastomers

Changing couplings is a job that we do very often and we know when it needs to be changed from noise that segway makes.
But remember that it can also be a gearbox elastomer ( i had many cases ). It sounds just like a worn coupling but when i take off the gearbox i see that couplings are fine and then you should see if the elastomer is not loose from the gearbox. But you can also change them
Arturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #16
Tory
Tory is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

TORQUE WRENCH, I live in a very small city in Canada and I can't find a torque wrench that does under 40 lb. of torque. I am changing my elastomers and also I'm not sure of what kind of silicone to use.I sure would appreciate it if you could help me with these problems I have. P.S. I don't have a problem ordering from U.S. as I do order other items from U.S. without a problem. Thank you Tory
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
Arturas
Arturas is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
TORQUE WRENCH, I live in a very small city in Canada and I can't find a torque wrench that does under 40 lb. of torque. I am changing my elastomers and also I'm not sure of what kind of silicone to use.I sure would appreciate it if you could help me with these problems I have. P.S. I don't have a problem ordering from U.S. as I do order other items from U.S. without a problem. Thank you Tory
I don't use silicone. There are gaskets in newer models. So if i have to fix an old one i take all the silicone off and put a gasket.
Arturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #18
inventor
inventor

5 yr Member
Default stuck coupler...

I took a look at mine after reading this post and found one side fine and the other gone bad

The elastic thing was OK and the outer housing coupler was OK but the coupler on the base was wearing to the point i could wiggle it back and forth without turning the shaft.

I set out to remove this loose fitting white drive coupling and take it to my dealer for replacement BUT it won't come off with my fingers. How can something so loose around the hex shaft still be clinging to the base?

I don't want to bust anything (been there done that) are we certain these inner couplings pull off and can be replaced by yours truely? It would save me a trip in with the whole machine if this is just needing a little man handling.

Once tried to remove a wheel and busted a hole in my gear box... caught hell from you guys for that, i'm sure some of you havent forgotten that thread. I don't want to revisit the old post so please don't dig it up again.

what say yee

Bob G

Last edited by inventor; 11-06-2010 at 11:10 PM..
inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #19
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default New Gearboxes at 9000 Miles.

After 2 year and about 5500 miles more since my last post (total of 9007, as of this writing), it seemed that my trusty Segway was making a racket and its wheels were "loose".

Went to the local Segway store, bought some gaskets and a couple replacement couplers. I expected them to be pureed into paste and sprayed into the housing when I looked inside, just like before.

Nope, they were pristine!!! No white chunks or any visible damage of the elastomer material could be seen. This was unexpected and I was totally amazed. So, all the work I did to remove the sloppy silicone seals with a dremel wire brush tool, corrected the alignment issue after using the correct gaskets. I feel vindicated, and yet, slightly peeved at INC for doing such a sloppy build on this first batch of i2's.

Here's the bad news... I need to replace my gear boxes. Looks like a substantial amount of iron dust in the left housing, from the transmission bearings / gears. And similar issues on the right, with a strange green oxidation ring around the shaft. Looks like residue from slowly leaking lubrication. *shrugs*

I'll pick up the gearbox kits tomorrow, and install them. Seems the Segway transmissions have been improved since I bought my early gen2. I'll also replace the couplers, since it's already open and I have new parts. My machine was always loud, so I hope this solves the issue.

BTW, has anyone tried MTO's lithium battery rebuilds? I like that you can get .8 kWH more power in them. Anyone know what type of cells are used? A123 has a very nice linear discharge rate...

With average electron capacity increasing and the price of other lithium batteries decreasing every year-- Valence really dose not appear to be doing Segway owners any favors.

Happy Holidays to both my friends & enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
No.
I believe a lot of the misalignment is from Segway not properly installing the requires 2 sets of gaskets, to mate perfectly into the milled sides of the i2's wheel extensions, as they were originally designed. I do not believe the acid in the compound had anything to do with the poor alignment, per se.
SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
tpeerson
tpeerson is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
... BTW, has anyone tried MTO's lithium battery rebuilds? ...
I bought a dead XT that sat in a garage for two years. MTO rebuilt one lithium battery and revived the other in July of 2011. I don't know what type of cells were used. Both are still going strong.
tpeerson is offline   Reply With Quote