SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #31
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

None of my keys have 6 zeros.

And the entire "functional" code for the Segway is 32 hex digits - of which 16 are the key code, as you said.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #32
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Here is the key code for an "old" key to a seg, I no longer own.
50 78 10 0C 16 9F 16 5F 21 20 15 45 A3 19 00 B0
As you can see- there is no six 0"s sequence.

Your questions are all good and have helped us expand the knowledge base.
Keep up the good work.
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #33
curious1
curious1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default keys finally arrived

Hi,
I got some of the keys I have ordered for specific chassis I have.
I did not check them on the device I had ordered it for, since it is not in working state currently.

But I did take these 3 keys and could reprogram them to different chassis.
First I did exact copy easily.
Then I tried to take the black key - and produce from it the RED one, I took from the SW the ROM number, which did not work for me.

Then I realized that I just need to open the IBF file and take the 16x 2 hex bits to new file, and change specific fields in order to change speed, this did work for me!

So I don't understand the part with CHECKSUM, do I need it?
It worked just find with this tool:

http://www.segwayoc.com/key/key.php

when entering the IBF from the start of my file of the black key

Also Segway company reproduced my keys by chassis number (which is 12 decimal digits) - I am sure that they don't have a database of the digits and key code - meaning there is some Math way to convert the 12 decimal digits to key code, I am pretty sure about this,
Did any one here - try to figure this out? or found something ?

Thanks,
R

Last edited by curious1; 10-08-2014 at 04:11 PM..
curious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #34
[email protected]

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1 View Post
Hi,

So I don't understand the part with CHECKSUM, do I need it?
It worked just find with this tool:

http://www.segwayoc.com/key/key.php

when entering the IBF from the start of my file of the black key
That software computes the correct CRC to work with the bytes that you changed. It's my understanding that if you just changed the bytes that control the speed, turn, etc. and did not change the CRC code, then the Segway would not accept the key. I've never tried that, but please feel free to do so (without using the software you just quoted) and let us know the results.

Quote:
Hi,
Also Segway company reproduced my keys by chassis number (which is 12 decimal digits) - I am sure that they don't have a database of the digits and key code - meaning there is some Math way to convert the 12 decimal digits to key code, I am pretty sure about this,
Why are you sure of that? Is there some reason that they should not (or could not)?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #35
curious1
curious1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Crc

As I have understood from other forms, if using the default where:
CRC order (1 to 64) = 16
CRC polynomial (hex) = 8005
Initial CRC value (hex) =0
Final XOR value (hex) = FFFF

I believe the last 2 values determine no CRC ?
So just need to change the speed values at the correct windows (and this is done by the SW)

About 12 digits - this is related to some encryption - that could be easy (or not) for example multiply the number by fixed value (can be many other things)
I think (may be just firing in air to wrong direction) - that this is done by some calculator they made for it
Thanks,
R
curious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #36
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Long ago, from people I believe, I heard they did have a database with the key codes for each machine at the factory.

That may have changed, but at the time the factory was producing 180s, and I was friendly with the chief technical officer of Segway, I was told the database existed.

We never did have an in-depth or detailed conversation about it however, nor about how the database was populated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #37
[email protected]

5 yr Member

Quote:
I believe the last 2 values determine no CRC ?
So just need to change the speed values at the correct windows (and this is done by the SW)
I am not sure what you mean. The CRC must change if you make the speed setting or the turn setting or the golf setting different. Yes, the CRC calculation software does that - but you cannot simply change one of the values without also changing the CRC.

Quote:

About 12 digits - this is related to some encryption - that could be easy (or not) for example multiply the number by fixed value (can be many other things)
I think (may be just firing in air to wrong direction) - that this is done by some calculator they made for it
I believe you are not correct about that.

But I am quite willing to learn something new, and I have two XTs and know the key codes for them. Just figure out the method of getting the key code from the serial number, let me know, and I'll test your method.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #38
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am not sure what you mean. The CRC must change if you make the speed setting or the turn setting or the golf setting different. Yes, the CRC calculation software does that - but you cannot simply change one of the values without also changing the CRC.

I believe you are not correct about that.

But I am quite willing to learn something new, and I have two XTs and know the key codes for them. Just figure out the method of getting the key code from the serial number, let me know, and I'll test your method.
If you have two machines and know their serial numbers and key codes, can't you extrapolate the formula to convert one to the other?

I always thought there was more to it than that. The serial number of a machine is in large part a date and sequence number, yet the key code comes from the chip set on the main boards. Since the boards are manufactured before the segways are assembled, I can guess that the serial numbers are created and assigned after the key code already exists. So for this reason, I do not presume you are correct as to them being related.

But if you are, and you have serial numbers and key codes for several machines, it looks like you are in for some code breaking....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #39
[email protected]

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
If you have two machines and know their serial numbers and key codes, can't you extrapolate the formula to convert one to the other?
I have two machines, and I cannot see/compute/guess/divine any relationship between the serial numbers and the key codes.

But it's curious1 who asserts that there "must be" some formula.

I just offered to confirm it when he provides it.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #40
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have two machines, and I cannot see/compute/guess/divine any relationship between the serial numbers and the key codes.

But it's curious1 who asserts that there "must be" some formula.

I just offered to confirm it when he provides it.
You are quite right. I saw curious1 quoted statements in your posting, and inappropriately used your post to hit the quote key from instead of his...

I was addressing Curious1.

Sorry for the blunder.

And my statements that I do not feel the key code and the serial number to be extrapolated from the same point remains. I think the key code exists for a board/key combination long before the serial number exists.