SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
2wheeler
2wheeler

5 yr Member
Default Fifty feet ain't enough

Hi folks;

I bought my i180 new as soon as it was available with Li-on batteries in Vancouver BC.
I have taken it to Mexico and used it daily at (multiple) home(s) since then.
It looks in rough shape as it was used so often (and running over it with the RV didn't help)

Now I am having a problem; I can get from 50 to a couple of hundred feet before it beeps, slows and flashes red with the wrench symbol, forcing me off before it shuts down. After 30 seconds or so it will restart fine; for another short glide.
I have noticed that when I walk away from it, on, leaning up against a wall, it will shut down in a few minutes, unlike before.
I contacted a Canadian dealer who said they will send it to Segway for me (not useful). I contacted Segway who said its likely a main board problem.
According to the blinky lights and the battery gauge, my batteries and charging system are fine (remarkably).
I need my baby working again as I'm a night security guard for a large industrial site.

I took it apart to some degree to have a look. The main board looks pristine, I removed every visible cable connection and sprayed with contact cleaner, reassembled (contact cleaner on the battery connections too) and tested; no change.

I need a solution other than sending it to Segway as I can't afford an expensive repair nor can I afford to replace it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome...

BTW, I'm competent mechanically and electrically

Thanx

skip

Mods; please move this if I posted in the wrong place, thanx
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The batteries do have a life span, and perhaps they are working properly, but just at the end of their life.

You might want to check them out.

Also, the amount of segments of the battery monitor that come on with the wrench is very important. IF the wrench comes on with the top battery indicator it is very different than if the wrench comes on with all the battery indicators.

You should observe the display carefully, or snap a picture the next time this happens, and I am sure that someone here can help you identify exactly what the segway is saying as the fault.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I second KSagal's suspicion on battery life, it's appx 8 years or more already since you purchase the unit and it's been serving faithfully for all this time but battery does have a life cycle, and it looks like it might be time to renew them.

I would recommend to borrow a set of known working battery and test the unit, if the same symptom appear then we can narrow down to the problem of the unit. Problems can be, handlebar electronic, mainboard, motor, the possibility is in this order.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
2wheeler
2wheeler

5 yr Member

Thanx for your interest guys.

Took some shaky pix but they show that I started out with a full charge (Green smiley face, scanning vertical line and full charge circle). After a short distance at low speed, it started beeping and shaking so I took a series of pix as I stopped and got off:

Red flashing with sad face, scanning vertical line and full circle while slowing down. Changed to red, full circle with wrench when I stepped off. Then shut down. Waited 10 seconds and it restarted (Green smiley face, scanning vertical line and full charge circle).

What does this tell you, o great wizards?

I have no one to swap batteries with and there is no Canadian dealer close by. I am prepared to dismantle the handlebar assembly if I could get some guidance. This is where most of the damage occurred in the accident but the problem has increased over time, starting before that occasion.

If necessary or if you advise, I would take it to the dealer in Bellingham, Washington
but that has the hassle of crossing the border and they seem to be more into camels than Segways (!)

skip
Old 09-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
2wheeler
2wheeler

5 yr Member

Just noticed there is a servicing dealer in Edmonds Wa. That's also do-able. But quite frankly I would rather fix it with the segwaychat community's help.

skip
Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I would agree with those that suggest batteries. For the trip to Washington you could have your answer with as little trouble as possible. Anything we as seg owners do in the field is educated guess-work.

I also have an 8 year old seg with original batteries and even though they show full charge they only have a short range. I've learned what the distance is but it's just a matter of time before they go nowhere. Then it's time to call Jason for a re-build!
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
2wheeler
2wheeler

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noalox View Post
I would agree with those that suggest batteries. For the trip to Washington you could have your answer with as little trouble as possible. Anything we as seg owners do in the field is educated guess-work.

I also have an 8 year old seg with original batteries and even though they show full charge they only have a short range. I've learned what the distance is but it's just a matter of time before they go nowhere. Then it's time to call Jason for a re-build!
The trip to a Washington dealer will be a big trip, over 3 hours each way plus border crossing issues. I recognize that I may have to do this, assuming the dealer has what is needed to determine the "final answer".

You mention that you show full charge but get limited range. As you glide, does the battery gauge show the charge depleting? Mine doesn't.

Karl mentioned the charge indicator when flashing red will give a hint to the problem. Can anyone decode what I see?

Is there a write-up or can anyone advise how to dismantle the handlebar?

Thanx for your help, folks...

skip
Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You might want to start up the segway and lean it against a wall in balance mode until it falls over. This might take an entire day. After it's dead, recharge for 12 hours. This will recalibrate the battery circuit.

If that does not work, you will most likely need a new set of batteries.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
jrwilcox
jrwilcox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Try what jeff mentioned. I had this happen with almost new batteries and this helped. If the batteries are actually bad it will not make them worse.

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
jrwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
2wheeler
2wheeler

5 yr Member

Thanx JG and JR;

Unfortunately this doesn't work for the problem I have. I always lean it against a wall when I get off (that's why my stand isn't broken). If I'm done for a while I turn it off. If I'm going to use it soon, I leave it on. Over time, it is now at the point where it will shut down after 5-15 minutes. However, when I restart it, the battery gauge says it is a fully charged as it was when I "parked" it.

Unless there is a problem with the battery gauge (which has always been consistent with my charging regime), I don't think this is a battery issue. I am hoping to find a working Segway somewhere to swap batteries and confirm this, but I have never had an indication that the batteries were bad or not charging. Never seen a red charge light either...

skip