SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Related Sites and Resources

Notices

Related Sites and Resources For fan created site announcements, questions, advice, promotions, contests, resources on the web, help building your site or blog, etc.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
mzokc
mzokc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Segway calling...

Segway customer service returned my call today and suggested bringing the PT to the dealer who can ship it to Segway for full diagnostics. With both red lights appearing (rather than one light) it does appear to be the PT, but this would answer the question of whats really wrong. After getting an estimate of repair costs, the decision will be easier to make.

As far as being attached to it? I've enjoyed a lot of adventures on this first gen model while traveling across the country. The blog and pictures are the important historical documents that will always bring back the excitement of those early glides. The i167 is light enough to lift into the car, and that's the real attachment. The x2 would require more accessories to enable travel with the car.

Customer service did mention that the i167 is still popular with those who have special needs. I find the new model looks much more sportier, so maybe it's time to update my image before starting retirement!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #22
mzokc

Default Bad charger in the PT

The dealer tested the PT and found that the charger is bad. He is quoting a price of $750. I will be checking with Segway as they were mentioning $200 for a bad charger. A new i2 is sounding better everyday.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #23
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Better Hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzokc View Post
A new i2 is sounding better everyday.
The Gen One Trade in Event will soon be over for 2009!

You will really enjoy the i2, its just enough different that you will hate it at first, but once you spend time with it, it is a superior machine to the first gen ones.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #24
mzokc

Default Customer Support Answers

Customer Support responded today to my questions. The $200 charge is what Segway would charge for a full diagnostic if I did not get the PT repaired. With a $100 dealer charge for shipping, it would be a bit pricey just to verify the need to update.

I had a good discussion today with my Segway dealer about "Power Assist Mode," one feature that is missing on the i2. I mostly use PAM to brush off the wheels before bringing the PT into the house. Remembering that it was possible to use the balance assist to move the PT, the feature won't be totally missed. However the lack of turning the wheels with a twist of the wrist will take time to get used to.

He explained about how the i167 glided normally with a set of new batteries, but the PT would not charge properly. You all responded correctly with your earlier posts of what was wrong.

Since I have multiple sets of NiHm batteries, an interesting option that the dealer would support is to use the good NiHM batteries on the i2 and get a refund of about $1000 on the LIons. But I don't plan on flying with the PT, so the best option may be to exercise the NiHMs to health and then sell them. I have never used LIons in OKC, but the need for more distance when enjoying events in Southern California would make LIons a must.

Thanks Will for the feedback. The majority opinion of owners indicates that they love the i2 and x2 after gliding for awhile. If the history museum ever needs a PT, they should obtain the one from our NBA mascot, "Rumble." They have started a collection of NBA stuff, so it would fit right in with that display area.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #25
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzokc View Post
Since I have multiple sets of NiHm batteries, an interesting option that the dealer would support is to use the good NiHM batteries on the i2 and get a refund of about $1000 on the LIons. But I don't plan on flying with the PT, so the best option may be to exercise the NiHMs to health and then sell them. I have never used LIons in OKC, but the need for more distance when enjoying events in Southern California would make LIons a must.
Interesting that your dealer will support NiMH batteries on the i2 -- they don't work. Lots of us would like them to work, for the purposes of flying with them.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #26
mzokc

Default Dealer support

Thanks Bob for the info. Your post got me reading the i2 manuals and checking for other details that should be considered before repair or replacement of the i167. Since there is a great deal of battery life left in the current NiHM batteries, a repair of the i167 charging circuits may be the best solution at the present time.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #27
mzokc

Default At last, enjoying the i2

A huge "Thank You" to all who gave feedback about repairs and trade-ins. The concern of additional costs during repair and the generous offer by Segway to upgrade helped make the decision to purchase the i2 on May 9th. Getting an additional price cut on the i2 was the icing on the cake! Thanks to Segway of Oklahoma where Bobby consistently provided support during the decision of repair or replacement.

This repair would have cost:
Shipping PT to Segway: $100
Replace charger base: $795
(alternate handlebar if necessary could add to cost)
Shipping back to OKC: $100

After one of the first "Amazon delivered" Segway PTs in Oklahoma was boxed up with it's original grey batteries, the new i2 was assembled by the dealer while I took photos. It's quite a switch from 3/3/2003 when assembly was owner accomplished at the house. Bobby stayed after hours to assemble the i2 and helped me lift it into the car. Removing it was a two person task, but all went smoothly. Since Bobby fully charged the batteries before the sale, I was able to glide right away. New eateries with their huge glass windows make it easy to keep an eye on the HT during dinner! A first day glide would not be complete without the in-house self portrait.

i167/i2 photos at: http://gallery.me.com/mzokc#100228

With the angle of the streets highly crowned for rain run off, one interesting difference is the additional work required when gliding in a straight path. The curve of the street requires holding the handle bar upright at all times. Before I could glide straight by shifting weight and not turning the control. The tilt compensation makes sense, but it was a surprise when gliding on the street.

The i2 glides around the rooms inside the house perfectly. The precision control at low speed does not disappoint. I am very happy on day one and realize the upgrade was the right move to make.

With the exchange program, the i2 cost less than a Tesla "Model S" deposit and you can travel over half the distance of a GM VOLTs projected electric range.

One more thing... Apple is dropping the ability to edit the old web pages that contain the first SegwayFesT photos and the i167 glide photos on July 7, 2009. They will still remain, but no more editing or adding to that collection.

http://homepage.mac.com/mzokc/segwayfest/Menu114.html

http://homepage.mac.com/mzokc/segway/PhotoAlbum39.html

BTW for those who view album 39, Bruce Gordon passed away in 2007. He replaced his i167 with an i2 and enjoyed the new model.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #28
mzokc

Unhappy homepage.mac.com Segway photo links to be discontinued

Apple has sent MobileMe customers an email on October 8th to announce that they will discontinue accessing our photos on the homepage.mac web pages.

What this means is any links to those photos will no longer work on November 8th. Photos of the first SegwayFest that have been accessible using links in the Segway newsletter or when doing Google searches will not function at that time.

Since the original content will remain in our storage space, it's not saving Apple any disk storage, just CPU time on their side.

Historic documentation - viewable one day and gone the next. I am just happy that I have been able to keep the content alive until the links no longer work.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #29
mzokc

Default Still gliding and now electric driving!

Haven't posted in awhile, but there is a good reason. My first Segway HT in 2003 was only the beginning. Upgraded to the i2 18 months ago. Today a new vehicle was purchased to transport the Segway PT in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-z/...86026027/show/

I've been posting at GM-Volt.com, so I won't go into details here, but one question will be how to lower the wheels into the recessed hatch area. When my move to So. Cal. is complete, it will be time to visit the local Segway store for some advice.

Happy 2011 everyone!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
mzokc

Default An electric car upgrade

I haven't posted since the Chevy Volt days. Finally brought the Segway i2 out to California from Oklahoma and enjoyed using it when filming the arrival of a replacement to the Chevy Volt. The video is a bit over the top, but after waiting since 2008 for a 100% electric car, the dream has been realized.

Select the link below to enjoy the delivery story and video showing the Segway i2 posted at GM-Volt and have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend ahead.

Delivery of the Electric Car

Mark Z