SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
SkOotz.dc
SkOotz.dc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Red face Newbie Tire Question X2

Im sure this information has been covered somewhere in this thread so i feel a little sheepish. But i HAVE dug and come upon some very interesting information, but sadly not on the topic of my search. Im sure you guys understand the feeling.

To keep it simple, I own an X2. Im looking for information for aftermarket tires (and anything needed for their function) I feel the current tires will meet my offroading demands, but i would like an i2(ish) option for future city touring. From my understanding any tires with less drag would increase your touring distance. Even with the larger radius lower drag tire I know you wont get the same speed of an i2, you can approach the 24mile travel distance.

I would love some input, and if possible some actual suggestions for purchase (if such a thing exists) Link away and take me to school.

Yes, yes, those that will say buy an i2. Im strongly considering it.

Cheers
S.

PS.
I read that increasing the tire pressure up to 8psi will lower the drag and increase the distance. Also while reducing offroad traction and increasing "bounce" Does anyone have any information on the approximate distance increase that change can bring? Or any advice at all on the topic for that matter.
SkOotz.dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
SkOotz.dc
SkOotz.dc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
I have since done another day of investigation and found a good deal of information on the subject. I'm still grateful for any input. But to update I'm now running my x2 at 9 1/2 psi with a precision meter and am very happy with the performance. I have also ordered a set of i2 tires and hubs from Segnation in Annapolis and looking forward to their arrival.

As I said any advice would be appreciated stepping/gliding forward. ESP in regards to a "hybrid" tire.

Thanks,
S.
SkOotz.dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOotz.dc View Post
I read that increasing the tire pressure up to 8psi will lower the drag and increase the distance. Also while reducing offroad traction and increasing "bounce" Does anyone have any information on the approximate distance increase that change can bring? Or any advice at all on the topic for that matter.
My wife and I both think that increasing the tire pressure (to 6 or 8 psi) makes riding in most suburban settings (sidewalks, streets, parks, etc.) a bit more pleasurable-feeling. Actually seems (to me) to be reduced bounce. Of course, that's a personal judgment.

Whether or not offroad traction is reduced would depend on the surface. Probably yes, on average. However, things like icy snow might be different.

In theory, tire rolling resistance will be reduced.

Distance depends on temperature (battery performance), rolling resistance, air drag, etc. It's plausible that increasing tire pressure increases distance. How much?

Popular Mechanics did a short study: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4199963

Of course, it's a car, and higher speed, and not quite as much percentage increase in tire pressure. The difference (in mpg) was from 42.14 to 42.19.

The "big deal" is air resistance, not rolling resistance. So, slow down and you will go farther.

YMMV, of course.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
My wife and I both think that increasing the tire pressure (to 6 or 8 psi) makes riding in most suburban settings (sidewalks, streets, parks, etc.) a bit more pleasurable-feeling. Actually seems (to me) to be reduced bounce. Of course, that's a personal judgment.

Whether or not offroad traction is reduced would depend on the surface. Probably yes, on average. However, things like icy snow might be different.

In theory, tire rolling resistance will be reduced.

Distance depends on temperature (battery performance), rolling resistance, air drag, etc. It's plausible that increasing tire pressure increases distance. How much?

Popular Mechanics did a short study: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4199963

Of course, it's a car, and higher speed, and not quite as much percentage increase in tire pressure. The difference (in mpg) was from 42.14 to 42.19.

The "big deal" is air resistance, not rolling resistance. So, slow down and you will go farther.

YMMV, of course.

A quick personal observation on tire inflation... I have an I2 for 3 years now and use it daily, primarily inside (office building) The other day a co-worker said "you are getting a flat" so I checked (visually) the tire pressure and it was definately low,you could squeeze the tire easily with your hand. Having never ever checked my tire pressure before (feel free to hurl insults my way, they are deserved ) I had to find out where the valve was located... it is not obviously visible and only one of the manuals had directions where to find the valve, they all said "check your pressure all the time," but not where it was located. After some manual hunting, I found where the tire valve is located at on the stock I2, pumped them up to specified pressure, and the ride is WAY BETTER !! Smoother, a little more bounce to it, but primarily the tracking/handling is much better, the ride is "zippier" (probably do to less rolling resistance cause my under-inflated tires had more resistance) I learned my lesson, I will check and keep them at the proper inflation, it makes the ride much more pleasant. The valves, although recessed with a longer stem are actually very well positioned and it was a piece of cake to inflate and get the guage on them to take the pressure. Maybe next, I will get around to cleaning my I2 for the first time too.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
A quick personal observation on tire inflation... I have an I2 for 3 years now and use it daily, primarily inside (office building) The other day a co-worker said "you are getting a flat" so I checked (visually) the tire pressure and it was definately low,you could squeeze the tire easily with your hand. Having never ever checked my tire pressure before (feel free to hurl insults my way, they are deserved ) I had to find out where the valve was located... it is not obviously visible and only one of the manuals had directions where to find the valve, they all said "check your pressure all the time," but not where it was located. After some manual hunting, I found where the tire valve is located at on the stock I2, pumped them up to specified pressure, and the ride is WAY BETTER !! Smoother, a little more bounce to it, but primarily the tracking/handling is much better, the ride is "zippier" (probably do to less rolling resistance cause my under-inflated tires had more resistance) I learned my lesson, I will check and keep them at the proper inflation, it makes the ride much more pleasant. The valves, although recessed with a longer stem are actually very well positioned and it was a piece of cake to inflate and get the guage on them to take the pressure. Maybe next, I will get around to cleaning my I2 for the first time too.
I find that excessive squeaking on non-carpeted floors, or excess sound when turning at low speed on pavement, or even sound from the tire/rim interaction serve as warnings, well before you get to the point where you can squeeze the tire or it looks obviously flat. The broader contact area definitely makes more noise.

And it's much nicer when reinflated.

I find checking the tire pressure to be a pain. After almost 5 years, I just once every 4-6 weeks, tip the seg on its side, take off a wheel, pump it up (with a tire pump with integrated gauge), put it back on with my torque wrench, flip to the other side, and repeat. The time you spend looking for the valve stem and dealing with its location is about what it takes to pull the wheel and replace it, and it's a lot less aggravating. And no need to bend over; with the wheel inverted over the mounting studs, it's even at a better height. If you torque it to spec with a torque wrench, it even comes off easily next time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, newbie, tires, x2