SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
Dach Savage
Dach Savage is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Serial # model identifier for a real noob

Hi All,
I recently purchased a used Segway and know next to nothing about them. I will admit it, I don't even know how to turn this thing on. I put it on charge and have been getting weird activity from the lights by the plug. IE: sometimes I have 1 green light, 1 red light. sometimes 2 green lights. sometimes 2 red lights. But so far I see nothing in the window on the handlebars. I have 3 keys with the unit and have tried putting each on on the keyhole and pressing the mode button and still nothing shows in the display. Is there anywhere where I can look up what model I have from the serial / model #? Its 052411017077, model # is 187560002 . Also where to find an owners manual or operating guide preferrably online? Thanks Dach.
Dach Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Are you storing it in below 32 degree temperatures while attempting to charge it? That can cause the random red lights.
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default Your Segway

From your serial number I know your Segway was made during week 41, 2005 in Bedford NH.

You do not need to" press the mode button " when trying to start and it should not be plugged in while trying to start.
Just place the key in the key hole. I don't know the model numbers but can tell you its a first generation I 167 or I 180.

The most likely problem is failure of one or both of your batteries. ( Know that batteries are expensive to replace )
The red indicator lights when trying to charge are a bad thing and indicate battery problems.
Next time you get two green lights either steady or flashing (any combination just so they are green) leave it plugged in for 24 hours without doing anything else.
You told us that you don't get a display when you try to start. Do you hear any beeping sounds? Normal starting process is to hear one or four beeps then display lights up.

You can get the manuals on line http://www.segway.com/support/manual...es-archive.php
Pictures in the manuals will help you narrow down the model. Or you could try to post a picture of your segway so we can see the model.

If you would like us to, members here on the board can slow walk you through a trouble shooting process to try to figure out your segways problem but understand that the probability is it will need to go to a segway dealer or the factory for repair.

Last edited by MagiMike; 03-30-2014 at 11:16 AM..
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

Default If you need service-

You can get service or more information at one of the two dealers in Arizona

Segway of Scottsdale
13802 North Scottsdale Road
Suite 132
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Phone: 480-306-4801

Thermo King West
2239 North Black Canyon Hwy
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Phone: 480-313-6942

"I'm virtually certain that my avatar is real or really certain that it's virtual.... Or vice versa,"
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

To best get help, it makes sense to let us know what you actually have. Generation 1 segways can often be identified by colors and fenders. Do your fenders have bolt on wings or extra pieces, or are they smooth? What color are the fenders or the control shaft and handlebars?

You can probably get information at the company's website, at Segway.com.

The previous comments are correct. There should be at least some charge in the batteries, and you can just unplug it, and place the metal of one key in the port for it. Do not do anything else, and wait about 5 seconds. Something should happen, if the machine is okay.

If it starts, great. If not, listen for beeps, and the display to light. If the display lights up, pay attention to each detail, the face, and if it is smiling, or frowning, the segments around the outside of the face, they ring it when completely lit up, but frequently only some of the segments light up, and they all mean different things.

Pictures help. Pictures of the segway. Pictures of the display when lit.

It is also possible that you have keys that do not match the segway.

Where did you get the machine and the keys? Do you know the history of the segway? Do you know if it spent any extended times unplugged? (Bad for the batteries)

There are too many questions we have. Likely too many you have as well.

Fire away with any questions you have. There are lots of knowledgeable people here.

Good luck. Welcome to this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Also on the early segways there was a problem where the error log would get full and putting the key into the socket would do nothing. There is a simple fix for that, you disconnect the two cables inside the control shaft.

There is a service manual floating around the internet, but there is very little "board level" information inside. Most of "real" Segway repairs require a trip back to the factory.

Good luck

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Dach Savage

5 yr Member
Default Identifying and troubleshooting my Segway, pics etc

Thanks for all that replied with comments and advice. BTW Jimmiem, I am in Cave Creek Arizona and AFAIK the Segway has never been out of AZ since new, and the other afternoon when I was trying to charge it it was around 85 but it did get down to 60 F that night. Brr.

Well so far I have indeed gone to the Segway site and now I am pretty sure that I have a 1-180. It is red and silver with spoked wheels and a kickstand. BTW, it has Li-Ion batteries. I will try to post pictures with this reply.

History: The guy I got the Segway said he purchased it from a local university and that he had spoken with a person familiar with this unit; said person related that the Seg worked well but it had probably not been charged in a month. At the time I wasn't too concerned with this. After all, I am a longtime EV aficionado and know everything about batteries. DOH!

Trouble shooting so far: I tried using each of the keys for 5 seconds and still nothing. No beeps or anything appeared in the window. As suggested by the Segway guide I pulled the steering shaft and unplugged the two connectors then replugged and reassembled the steering shaft. The quick release made this a 2 minute deal. Then I swapped and reseated the battery packs (thats why I know its Li-Ion). Pretty cool and easy. Then I put it on charge. After a few minutes the front charge led was red and the rear was not lit. Unplugged it, waited 5 minutes and replugged it; a while later the front led was out and the rear light was red. Hmm. Unplugged it, both leds now out. Plugged it back in and approx 5 minutes later the front led had a dim green flicker. Unplugged it and waited 5 minutes and replugged; both leds both out now. Decided to self medicate with PBR, Bratwurst and Sauerkraut. I find that many problems can be solved or at least defined this way. Just looked at it again and both leds are both still out.

Conclusions so far:

Firstly: I prefer bold horseradish mustard to plain yellow, vigorously washed down with 2 PBR @ a 1:1 brat to PBR ratio.

Second: there is definitely something kerflukey with the batteries. Either they have been left off charge for too long and need to be hooked to one of those "Li-Ion revitalizers" or they are shot.

Third: Looking the unit over with a critical eye besides dealing with the battery problem it will need new tires (I have found MC tires cheap so this is no big deal), two spokes and I would repaint the silver fender extensions, again no big deal. Beyond these things when I was reading the Segway manual it appears that at 235# I am probably too big for this unit. And if I continue the bratwurst therapy this will only get worse.

Lastly: I don't know anyone here with a unit I could avail myself of and I am not really enthused with the $150 crapshoot with the Li-Ion revitalizer. If that didn't work the price of new / rebuilt batteries, especially on top of the $150 rental fee is just way more then I am willing to put out right now budget wise. Obviously being a lo buck DIYer taking it to a local dealer is out of the question.

All things considered I have decided to sell this unit and try to recover my investment and look for a unit down the road that is more appropriate for my size and usage. I am listing it on Craigs list and Ebay this afternoon but if anyone here wants it given what we know so far the first $700 takes it. My # is 602-512-5212.

In closing I really appreciate all the help you guys tried to give. I am thinking I need to find a Segway with bigger offroad type tires and a higher weight rating. Can you all recommend a model I should look for? I am thinking how cool it would be to take one to Burning Man so if there is a ruggedized / dust proof model that would be a plus. The dust there is talcum power fine and HIGHLY alkaline. 6-8" drifts are not unusual. Regards, Dach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (92.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg handlebar.jpg (90.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg logo.jpg (64.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ltside.jpg (92.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg rtside.jpg (92.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Dach Savage

5 yr Member
Default Li-Ion revitalizer cost?

Just wondering out loud but does anyone know what a Li-Ion battery revitalizer goes for or where to get one? Barring that plans to build one? I am thinking if I am going to get into this hobby I might want to have one on hand. And at least then there will be one in AZ besides at the dealer level. Dach.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
MagiMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dach Savage View Post
Just wondering out loud but does anyone know what a Li-Ion battery revitalizer goes for or where to get one?
WWW.MTOBATTERY.com sells one for about $550. They also have a rental arrangement available.

another source is www.dgbint.com but his is about three times as expensive.

Regarding weight the I-180 is approved for up to 260 lbs according to their fact sheet

"Does the Segway PT have weight limits?
Yes. Segway sets weight limits for rider safety and to reduce the risk of damage to a Segway PT. A rider must not be less than 100 lbs. (45 kg). The PT's maximum payload (which includes the rider and all cargo) is 260 lbs. (117 kg). The total weight of any handlebar cargo plus any additional attachments hanging from the handlebar should not exceed 10 lbs. (4.5 kg)."

Last edited by MagiMike; 03-30-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 AM   #10
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Segway Battery Reviver

Hi

We make 2 versions of Battery Reviver.
You can see the details at www.dgbint.com

You can also download the data sheets from that site.
We take great care to point out that our equipment can revive many batteries, but it cannot revive all batteries.
The variation is in the manner that each particular battery fails.
We cannot assess that remotely.

We usually sell to Dealers or Tour operators, they are very happy if they can revive say 75% of their batteries.
However, with an individual owner, it can become all or nothing, it just depends.

I also suggest that if your batteries are the original batteries, and ~ 2005 vintage, they are likely not good candidates for revival.
If you remove the batteries and send me a message or photo of the label with the serial numbers of your batteries, I will do my best to provide further info.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote