SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
You only need a single tool, and when you acquire it, the know-how is contained in the PT manual. Hint: it's righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.
Good to know that it's not complicated. I still have the manual and box but am apprehensive about such things and would prefer to pay someone locally when possible
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
lilnyc

5 yr Member
Default A Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
It really is easy to swap batteries, you need a 3mm Allen Wrench. A long one, at least 5 inches long. 4 on each battery, lay the Segway on one wheel and the location of the screws becomes vary obvious.

jeff
Thanks, Jeff.

I just found this how-to video:

But $2K for 2 batteries?! I just won't use it anymore or I'll wait to buy the new one. There's no way I'm investing that into a 5+ year-old Segway.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Actually you are now just trying to re-boot the Segway by removing and then re-installing the batteries. Buying new batteries are down the list still.

Give the re-boot a chance and then, perhaps, another Segway owner to try their batteries on yours and vice versa.

Let us know what happens.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
Thanks, Jeff.

...There's no way I'm investing that into a 5+ year-old Segway.
Just a thought. How old is the Segway? How cold is it where you keep it? If it is pre-2008 build (the serial number will tell you - if it starts with an 06 or 07 - that's the manufacture year) and temperatures are cold it maybe that the radio board isn't receiving the start-up signal from the infokey.

Try pressing the infokey while your Segway is still plugged in to the mains. If it then starts, immediately unplug the mains supply or it will shutdown after bleeping at you.

If that method gets a start up on your Segway it is a cold weather radio board issue. Keeping the Segway warmer before start-up/using it in warmer weather and the problem will disappear.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Hi CovRob -

I keep my Segway inside of my home (a highrise apt). This winter season, the building's management asked us to leave our heat on to avoid the pipes freezing. My Segway is not near the heating units. It's several feet away near the front door which leads to an indoor hallway, but I am mentioning that because it may be relevant.

Anyway, I pressed the power on the InfoKey while the Segway was plugged in and when it was unplugged too, but got the same results: The Link Signal appears without the parenthesis around the icon and the Segway doesn't power on. Yet when plugged in, I see the two charge lights blinking green.

Is it possible that one charge light illuminates both holes making it appear that both batteries are charged when in fact only one is working? I ask because the light(s) is(are) bright and illuminates the top balance light section when blinking.

Side Note: I located my backup InfoKey and am getting the same results.

Last edited by lilnyc; 03-25-2014 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Hi noalox - That gives me hope.

I also looked in the manual and page 122 "Segway PT Will Not Power On" supports your suggestion.

It's too bad that I've lost contact with my local Segway friends and each time I see a glider, they are zooming by too fast. I just saw one last week on my block!

We need a Segway owner finder app
Old 03-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #17
lilnyc

5 yr Member
Default New Photo

I think that only one battery light is blinking. I was standing right over it when trying to figure out whether two were blinking, but when I stepped a few feet away, only one stood out.

Here's a pic on the dark. I think the top one is just illuminating the others. Thoughts?

PS - Thanks to everyone today. I'll resume this tomorrow or after trying some suggested options.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #18
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Maybe Segway sent a satellite code that disabled your PT so you'd be forced to buy their SE?

Edit, I just saw your pic, the bottom battery light is definitely not lit, which means you have no power to the InfoKey receiver which runs off that batt.

You might have some success reviving it, message dgbint, he's on the forums, and see if he can help!

Also I strongly reccomend trying to swap the batts, maybe have a friend help, this will likely yield a definitive answer to the problem.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #19
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Lil,

When unplugged for an extended period of time, the rear segway battery is the only one that powers the radio receiver on the segway that gets the signal to turn on from the info key. That is why the rear battery goes bad long before the front battery.

Removing and swapping the batteries is the most likely next step, because it will bring the relatively good battery to the position where your segway will be able to respond to the info key signal, but if that current rear battery is stone dead, as it might be, you will most likely still not be able to glide.

I have not been in the city since the last time we saw each other, and I have not seen Martin since those days many years ago either. I hope he is still monitoring this forum, as he may be your best bet. There are other knowledgeable seggers in Northern NJ as well, who may make the trip into the city from time to time. Unfortunately, like you, I have not been in touch with them for a while.

You may have some luck with a friendly bike shop if you know of one. The tools needed to swap the batteries front to back are as described above, and not too uncommon. You may even get some help from a computer repairman or even a radio shack kind of place. It is out of their normal function, but we all know a polite request can work wonders, in some environments.

Good luck. You know that if you want to hop the train to Boston, we can make something happen! I do suspect, as was previously mentioned, that your rear segway battery may be toast. Typically, it should however give a red LED light if it is bad but not stone dead. I wish I had a better or easier solution to offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #20
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Have you tried turning it on while the Segway is plugged in? If it works, it should beep at you until you unplug it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i2, infokey, no power, segway, won't turn on