SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
The real point of the post was to see if anyone knows if the amp/hour rating of the batteries have increased between rev AF and AH revs of the batteries. My guess would be that only Jason has actually cracked open an AH so I was hoping he could ahead some light in that

Jeff
There's a label on every one of the batteries that gives the stated rating.

So what's the difficulty?

Last edited by dale@thecoys.net; 02-21-2014 at 07:12 PM..
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Definitely still the same just a different model Valence battery. IMHO, they are lesser quality than the older cells.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeperrymac View Post
Hey guys i would like to know i am buying a segway i2 i am 260 lbs and 6 foot 5 i would like to know what real world range i will get anything else i should know all i am going to do is ride it to the shops and how long can i just stand on it in one place
You should probably expect to get 18 miles per charge. You might want to add just a little more air to your tires. Back when the segway came out they recommended 1 extra pound of pressure over the factory 15lbs for every 10lbs of weight over 150lbs. So 260-150 = 110 lbs. 110/10 = 11. So you might want to run as much as 26lbs of pressure. That will be a very firm ride, so start with 20lbs and see if you are getting enough range.

Also, at your weight the other thing you need to keep in mind is that the wheels are plastic, you really don't want the wheel coming in contact with the road or curbs, that's the reason they have you add more air.

Enjoy your new machine!!!!

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
There's a label on every one of the batteries that gives the stated rating.

So what's the difficulty?
No difficulty, just wanted to know if the cells they are using are the same. As stated by MTO, they do appear to be different.

As always, thanks for you input.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
jgbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
Definitely still the same just a different model Valence battery. IMHO, they are lesser quality than the older cells.
Jason, it is so nice to have you as a resource! The P-133 batteries you rebuilt for me are working GREAT. Please keep up the great work!

I visited the Valence web site and found that they appear to sell two different cells. #18650 and #26650. I assume our Segway batteries have #26650s in them, can you confirm that for me. There is no reason I need to know this, just curious.

jeff

Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default Mikeperrymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeperrymac View Post
i would like to know what real world range i will get. how long can i just stand on it in one place
Real world range on a new battery is going to be about 20 miles. (your mileage may very ;} )

Standing in place 8 plus hours.
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Jason, it is so nice to have you as a resource! The P-133 batteries you rebuilt for me are working GREAT. Please keep up the great work!

I visited the Valence web site and found that they appear to sell two different cells. #18650 and #26650. I assume our Segway batteries have #26650s in them, can you confirm that for me. There is no reason I need to know this, just curious.

jeff
I'm interested in this also.
I've always believed they had a whole bunch of 18650s in them.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #18
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I'm interested in this also.
I've always believed they had a whole bunch of 18650s in them.
Correct.
Back in 2006 when the "new" energy for Segway was developed by the subcontractor / energy solution supplier Valence (who's share value is at 0.005 resently), the only packaging was available on the market was 18650, and the only reason 18650 was developed was due to the requirement of powering leptop computers, the original cells never intent to run at high discharge rate, however, the 'power series' was subsequently developed with higher current handling and less capacity, for power tools and Segways.

It had been 8 years passed since the introduction of Lithium battery by Segway / Valence and I'm amazed that there were no improvement nor capacity upgrades during the past 8 years, as my power tool and hand held vacuum cleaner's battery had increased capacity by introduction few versions of the XR series (Extended Runtime) battery already.
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amimoto View Post
Correct.
Back in 2006 when the "new" energy for Segway was developed by the subcontractor / energy solution supplier Valence (who's share value is at 0.005 resently), the only packaging was available on the market was 18650, and the only reason 18650 was developed was due to the requirement of powering leptop computers, the original cells never intent to run at high discharge rate, however, the 'power series' was subsequently developed with higher current handling and less capacity, for power tools and Segways.

It had been 8 years passed since the introduction of Lithium battery by Segway / Valence and I'm amazed that there were no improvement nor capacity upgrades during the past 8 years, as my power tool and hand held vacuum cleaner's battery had increased capacity by introduction few versions of the XR series (Extended Runtime) battery already.
I would think the improvements to the cells over the past years, if any, are so small that they are unnoticeable.

I had a quite old 18650 and compared to a new AW 18650, there wasn't much difference I could tell.

Also I think the main reason the cells stay the same is that each one is individually isolated and if bigger cells (ie: 26650) were used, it wouldn't add much advantage and even possible more fire/explosion damage, the 18650 is likely the best for compacting the most power into the tight spots of the Segway battery, whereas a bigger cell means less room.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #20
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I noticed that the photos I posted on the forum had been flagged and set to moderated so it will not display anymore, well, looks like censorship is taken effect.

However, here's the photos if anyone is interest at the battery cells I mention before, also please find the photos of the Green cells inside AF version (Valence Saphion) and Yellow cells inside AH version (Valence Proven), https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...14643135317459
Since the photos are not allow to be displayed on this forum's picture album, I believe I better shut up from this discussion.
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote