SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Steve807
Steve807 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Everyday Life with a Segway

I love riding (gliding) on my new Segway. I would like to use it for everyday errands. For those of you who have owned a Segway for a while, what do you think of using the bicycle stands outside of buildings to secure a Segway? Also, what type of lock would you recommend? Are the cable locks good enough? Thanks for you help ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default These are my deturents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve807 View Post
I love riding (gliding) on my new Segway. I would like to use it for everyday errands. For those of you who have owned a Segway for a while, what do you think of using the bicycle stands outside of buildings to secure a Segway? Also, what type of lock would you recommend? Are the cable locks good enough? Thanks for you help ahead of time.

For me first off I don't leave it unattended for two long...20 minutes max maybe? I use the alarm that comes with the Segway as you would need to men to pick it up as rolling would be hard...

I also picked up a cheap bike alarm shaker switch on ebay... Chirps a few times if disturbed, if it gets set off in less than 30 seconds sets a high volume siren, and if still disturbed goes off continually till I would disarm it..

I use bike racks, bus stop shelters or anything else that is solid to lock to....I bought a nice Kryptonite lock and chain, the chain is wrapped with cloth as not to scratch my X2 or what it is locked to....

So someone who has been watching it to steal...has 2 alarms to quiet, the lock would be easier to unbolt the grab bar on one side...Have a pickup ready and two men to pick it up with....So its detoured a bit?( key always with me )

I did buy a Segway lock kit, but have never used it....I want to be able to use the quick steering disconnect some day, and that makes it unusable..
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

I've used the Segway cable lock for over eight years without incident. Check it out on Segway.com. It may seem a little pricey, but it's very sturdy, and it's worked well for me. I've even left my machine in balance mode while I'm in the store--not to tempt would-be thieves, but, with it on, the machine doesn't roll around, and it's ready to go as soon as I unlock it.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Unfortunately, the Segway cable lock is no longer being made. You might be able to find a dealer that still has one in stock, or perhaps purchase one on e-bay as I did two weeks ago.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Unfortunately, the Segway cable lock is no longer being made. You might be able to find a dealer that still has one in stock, or perhaps purchase one on e-bay as I did two weeks ago.
Hm, didn't know that! Check with Dave at Segway of Central Florida.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Another Marketing Error ?

I leave my SEG outside of stores, pubs, etc all the time. How 'locked up' depends on how long I plan to be away and how comfortable the parking location. High traffic area that I don't normally go it's SEG Cable Lock and INFOKEY Lock (if near the end of my round trip range won't set INFOKEY Lock, save the batteries). When at my local stores just setting the INFOKEY lock has worked out OK. As for securing the Cable Lock . . . bicycle racks are the first choice.

And don’t' forget some restaurants and stores (Best Buy for example) will allow parking the SEG indoors with use of their power outlet to charge while shopping. . . ask

= =
Originally Posted by jgbackes
Unfortunately, the Segway cable lock is no longer being made.
= =

Segway INC has made another Marketing Error . . . the Cable Lock is useful and well made. They should not have dropped it.

3+ years and 6,900 miles
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:

I use the Segway lock, turn on the alarm, wrap a Xena lock with a touch-sensitive alarm on it and cover it with a Craftsman lawn mower cover to discourage tampering. That's a lot but I live in NYC. And although I live/work in upscale neighborhoods where residents can well afford Segways, you never know who's passing by.

I honestly prefer to only leave my Segway out for a brief moment OR with a security guard in a monitored bike room when possible.

I've left it on the sidewalk before while working and felt nervous all day. Also in NYC (probably elsewhere too), dogs tinkle on bike racks...ew.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

A party I was once with in central London UK had 1 too many Segways on hand and no lock. We wheeled it down some steps and left it with just the Segway alarm turned on. We left it there for maybe 2 hours. It was still there when we got back! It wasn't my Segway but I think we were all grateful it was still there upon our return!!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

Of course if you are disabled, you are entitled to use it inside of the store and don't have to worry about the parking. If it is a restaurant or theater, etc, they must provide a place to park it for you, as well as adequate seating. The ADA requires that they accommodate your need.

This doesn't work perfectly. One of the stores I frequent recently moved into a brand new building from a horribly crowded space. But guess what? They have enough bolts of fabric stacked in the new aisles that you can't even get their shopping carts through. When I expressed my disappointment, I was told later that they had checked and were told that as long as they provided a personal shopper if needed they would be legal.

Obviously whoever told them that had no idea what is involved when a quilt artist goes fabric shopping! How are you supposed to know what you want until you have a chance to see it, touch it, hold it next to another fabric that might or might not complement it? I'll give them full credit however for taking me seriously on the matter.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Steve807
Steve807 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Everyday Life with a Segway

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I was doing some research and I'm thinking of purchasing the lower cargo frames to give me more options for securing my Segway. Does anyone know if using the lower cargo frames for securing the Segway is a good or bad idea? Also I found this company called ABUS that make some hefty looking locks. They have this lock that is a cable lock but on the outside it has a flexible metal armor made out of metal cylinders that go around the steel cable. I was thinking of using that and running it though the cargo frames to a steel post. Does anyone see a problem with that type of configuration?

Last edited by Steve807; 03-26-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Steve807 is offline   Reply With Quote