SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #91
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Who needs market research? Just follow what the bike industry has been doing for years.

Further. Faster. Quieter.
http://youtu.be/1VOSmyzRvuc
If only Segway could bring the passion these guys have to their machines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #92
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Who needs market research? Just follow what the bike industry has been doing for years.

Further. Faster. Quieter.
http://youtu.be/1VOSmyzRvuc
Somehow I completely missed seeing the link, so if my earlier reply seemed a bit of a non-sequitor -- it was.

It's interesting seeing how this was executed on a bike. It sure looks to be on the heavy side. Serious mountain bikers are no doubt fit enough to pull it off.

Overall, I think you can haul a lot more weight on a Segway for a given distance.

But one thing occurs to me -- if you get yourself 6 miles into the woods, and find yourself out of charge, 3 miles back -- are you going to drag the Segway uphill for 3 miles?

Um....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #93
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Arrow +=+=+=+=+

Just thought I'd quote this, not only because it's funny, but also because Karl had a point.
But, I think in the end, the Segway needs lighting no matter what, and there are two ways it'll go down: force owners to buy lights or have them incorporated into the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I believe that factory installed lights is bringing the segway one step closer to being a vehicle, and one step farther from being an empowered pedestrian...

I really believe that the factory sees that segways are often confused with being scooters, or other small personal vehicles. I also believe they wish to position the segway farther from there...

So... I don't see it happening.

Quoting this too, just for fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
Segways should really have built-in lighting systems... if/when they come out with a third generation, I hope that is one of their highest priorities in terms of adding new features.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #94
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
But, I think in the end, the Segway needs lighting no matter what, and there are two ways it'll go down: force owners to buy lights or have them incorporated into the design.
The lighting on the new model is described as, and appears to be, just marker lighting to enhance visibility of the machine. An effective headlight must be more powerful and positioned higher up on the machine to properly illuminate and refect the road back at the rider.

I have a rather powerful light that occasionally resides in the lean steer pivot recess. It looks cool, provides more visibility of the machine, but it does little to illuminate the road.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #95
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Just thought I'd quote this, not only because it's funny, but also because Karl had a point.

Good quote from me from 5 years ago. I agree with others, this is a marker light, like the reflectors that have been on since day one, not so much a head or tail light.

Still, it is a good quote, because at that time I was aware of some folks at segway, and they have clearly changed their thinking on these lights, compared with their choices from years past.

I have always had lights on my segway, including segway branded lights.

I guess we do change, over time.

In that same post from 5 years ago, I wished for a power port. I still do.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #96
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

+1 on the power port... If I get an SE, one of the first things I would do is find out how much currently I can rob off the LEDs used to light the lights.

It would be so cool to have 5vdc at 500ma to power USB stuff from the seg batteries.

jeff

P.S. I know that the powerpack front bag has a rechargeable battery, but having to plug in two plugs for recharging just seems silly to me.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #97
russ498
russ498 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

It looks to me like they are pushing bundled options packages where you have to buy a lot of stuff that you do not necessarily want. I am in the market for an X2 with just the cargo racks. .I would rather buy the individual options to suit my needs. I do not want a hunters package and cannot find just a plain Jane X2.

On the other hand, there may be some pretty good discounts available on older models once the new ones get to the dealers.
russ498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #98
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
+1 on the power port... If I get an SE, one of the first things I would do is find out how much currently I can rob off the LEDs used to light the lights.

It would be so cool to have 5vdc at 500ma to power USB stuff from the seg batteries.

jeff

P.S. I know that the powerpack front bag has a rechargeable battery, but having to plug in two plugs for recharging just seems silly to me.
I really need to learn how to type/proofread. Sorry for all the mistakes everyone...

s/currently/current
s/would/will

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #99
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Hmm... I don't even remember saying that. But I guess I still agree with me.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #100
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Dick at OC Segway in Anaheim finally got in 19 of the SE's on Friday, I wasn't able to try them out as they were all reserved, and the floor units had bad batteries (not from factory).

Learned that the X2SE is no longer compatible with the old cargo racks...
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote