SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Jim McClain
Jim McClain is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway at a Convention

I never knew you all existed (I mean this forum) until some time back. Happy to have found you.

At a big orange store, I had a heart attack and didn't know it. I was with a friend, helping him load lumber in his truck when I got dizzy and passed out for a minute or so.

Turns out I have severe emphysema, with about 25% lung capacity and walk around with a oxygen tank strapped to my back now. At least I still walk, just not very far. It's very difficult to walk around the stores in the little town I live in. A shopping trip to a metropolitan area, where the stores are 2 or 3 times the size, there's no way I can do all that without assistance.

I hate those slow-poke electric shopping carts at stores that have all the good stuff on shelves way out of reach. Getting up and down to look at everything is breath-taking to say the least. Most stores, though, don't have electric carts or any other mobility aide. So my out-of-town shopping trips are on hold. Now I have an even bigger concern.

Every year, the largest gathering of professionals in the world, who are involved in the same business I spent 35 years in, takes place in Las Vegas. The convention draws tens of thousands of participants and visitors. I've been there a number of times. I very rarely see anyone in a scooter of any sort, and never have seen a Segway at a convention, but it has been a while since my last convention.

Now I run a popular, industry related website and the loyal members all chipped in to send me to the next convention. I wrote to a Segway dealer in Las Vegas and to Segway Marketing with the hopes that they would provide me with a loaner for a few days during Surfaces in exchange for an article focusing on use by the mobility challenged and the exposure it would get in this industry as a means of transportation at conventions, mills and manufacturing facilities.

The Las Vegas dealer sent me a price list. Segway waited 3 weeks to answer me, just to say, "sorry..." no. But all was not lost. I got a call from a former client one day. I mentioned the idea and the let-down. I told him I might rent one, if I could. He said he knew someone... "let me call you back in a few minutes." I thought it was just a polite brush-off and a way to end the call, so I exchanged good-byes.

He actually called me back just a few minutes later. Gave me the number of a dealer and told me to call him. I did and the guy already knew what was what and asked if I could go a little bit out of my way to pick up a Segway to borrow for the convention.

How exciting! I spent a few hours reading about Segways and in the process, found you all here. I didn't realize there was already a large group of dedicated people with disabilities encouraging the use of Segways. I didn't realized how much the quality of my life could improve if I had one of these of my own.

Thanks for being here.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote