SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
gorsea
gorsea is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Cool transporting the transporter.

segsea

i have just purchased a new I2, it' going to do my walking for me as my hips arn't allowing me to walk very far or fast, and i'm developing a breathing problem. my question is, can i run the segway up into the box of my s10 truck and then lay it down on it's handle to transport to different locations, some trips may be an hour or two but the roads will be reasonably smooth. i have a cap on the truck,that is why i would have to lay it down. it just strikes me as unatural for it and i'm concerned about damage to any componets

thanks for any advice.

gord.
gorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Smile No Harm

Once the machine is off and lying it down will do no damage, but make sure that you have it secured so that it cannot roll around when you stop and start as this may well do damage. If you position it so that the wheels are facing the truck side this will help. Then block the wheels with a moving blanket and/or extend the handle until it touches the side panel (if possible). It should ride just fine like that.
LaGrange, Il. 60525
(708) 352-1685
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default warm up

The segway relies on a Balance Sensor Assembly that has gyros and fluid tilt sensors. When you put your segway on it side for an extended period of time and then right it so that you can glide, you'll find you segway won't give you the "mount up" signal for about 10 to 15 seconds after you've switched into riderless balance mode (or power assist for Gen 1s). I see this behavior in my Gen 1, and perhaps the Gen 2's behave similarly.

I will point out that if you'd righted your segway and then waited 30 seconds before putting it into riderless balance mode (or power assist for Gen 1s), then there'd be no pause before being given the signal to mount up.

I'd guess that the reason for this is the fluid tilt sensors need some time for the fluid to drain into the right part of the sensor so the sensor can do its job. The segway recognizes this and won't let you mount up until its sure everythings ok with its sensors.

ps - If you notice some "flat face" or slowed performance in the first minute of your glide, it's because you hopped up on the segway too soon after powering it up. The segway goes through some diagnostic, and it won't perform at the top of its game until they complete in the first minute or two. There's no indication of when diagnostics complete. This is unrelated to the above issue, but I thought I'd point it out since it's the next question first time gliders bring to us when they notice it.

I guess the moral of the story is wait a minute before mounting. This is not mandatory, but you'll see less anomolies.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Short answer. No problem. Lay it down to transport. Secure it.

Stand it up when you arrive, wait a minute or so, (or not) when you arrive to turn it on. Basicly, do what the display tells you.

You will be fine. Chances are, the time it takes to get it out of the truck, and put the ramps away will be plenty of time for the sensors to reset themselves.

You might also want to consider a segvator, which would make this whole line of questioning moot.

Good luck, and welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default With the I2

Putting it over on its wheel, and sliding it around will damage the wheel. Where on the gen ones the tire stands proud of the plastic wheel, on the gen twos the wheel is more flush with the tire.

You can get more segs packed in on their side than you can just laying down.

What a lot of people do is use ramps, put the I2 into balance mode and use the follow me (very limited in speed) option and just guide it up the ramp. At the top hit the info key to take it out of balance mode lay it down and extend the handlebar to secure it from side to side (right to left.) That is if you do not have a wide truck bed.

You may also want to put something with some weight on the handlebars to keep them laying down. I find that in my truck if I don't the machine will work its way out of being secure and start rolling around the back. I use my duffle bag when I am traveling, works like a charm.

Always remember to never leave your info key with your machine incase someone breaks in and takes the Seg.

You will love all the places you can go when you take your seg with you as you travel. I hate to travel on airplanes because I can't bring the seg with me. (well I could, but it is such a hassle)
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Also you might want to look into a Segway Hauler and an i2 Adapter. For around $350 you can just roll your segway up to the trailer hitch and tie it down. Much easier than getting into the bed of a pickup.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
WLSINWI
WLSINWI is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have been looking at how to transport it also because all the need places I want to glide are way too far away to get there on a Seg.
Anyway I got a deal on one off Ebay and it included the seg ramps. Now I know everyone says they are way over priced but I do have to say that they are really needed to get you Segway into a SUV without hurting yourself..
The fact that they fold makes it easier to store too in the car and worth more.
I have a PT cruiser and the ramps allow me to push it up easily into the back. I don't use the "follow mode" because I don't have as much control at the top of the ramp - switching to power off is too tricky for the size of the opening I have to deal with. I just keep it off and push it up allowing me to keep the handlebars down and under control.
I was pleasantly surprised to find I can get the I2 into a PT cruiser with the rear seat folded up against the front seats and the handlebar just fits snugly in the back cargo area against the "edge lip". so it fits in and is snug enough to not shift around at all while driving.
Looks like PT Cruisers and Segway PT's are a match made in heaven!.

Last edited by WLSINWI; 07-23-2008 at 01:58 PM..
WLSINWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
OregonForester
OregonForester will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've two X2's and although I can get them out of my truck by myself, I cannot lift them quite high enough to set them on the tailgate to get them in.

I found some "RampArt" folding aluminum ramps at HomeDepot for $80 each, and they work great! (You'll need two!)
I load one Seg, turn it 'sideways' set the kickstand and then load the other Seg facing the first.
I then lift the kickstand and lay them down with the handlebars across oneanother and a blanket between them.
One ratchet strap holds them both fast, and they ride just fine all day long.