SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default When to use a scooter instead?

I was planning to buy a scooter in addition to the Segway, but now I wonder if I need one. (If I get the i2 wheels to make mine narrower and less likely to mark the floors.)

I am curious if there are situations where you think a scooter is preferable. The only things I can think of are:

1) for locations that refuse to allow a Segway, (very few can legally decline), or if we are too tired to bother arguing with them

2) if I don't want to draw as much attention and questions

3) if I would need to leave my mobility device unattended, and it's a location where I am not feeling okay with leaving the Segway even though it's locked with a chain and alarmed

4) if I feel too tired to stand that day, but then I would probably not go out that day

So to me those 4 reasons don't add up to a good argument.

If I got a scooter, it would be one with outdoor capabilities (and able to do hills better), which means bigger tires and worse turning radius. That means it's not great with elevators, crowds, etc so the Segway would beat it easily in those respects. (And the Seg would be just as good, or better, at the hills.)
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You might want to look into getting a seat for your segway. I recommend the segsaddle.

It removes many of the issues you mention.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Violet

I have both an x2 and an 12. I use them as mobility devices if I had to chose between them the i2 would be the one I would keep. The I2 has more uses for indoor opporation. The i2 will go nearly anywere an x2 will go and it will fit through most doors and does not mark up the floors. Ps I have over 4000 miles on my i2 just over 400 on my X2 and I got both at the same time the original plan was that my wife could use one but without the ADA backing the use she is restricted from using them in so many placeses she would rather walk than fight.

Good luck in your quest
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkelley View Post
Violet

I have both an x2 and an 12. I use them as mobility devices if I had to chose between them the i2 would be the one I would keep. The I2 has more uses for indoor opporation. The i2 will go nearly anywere an x2 will go and it will fit through most doors and does not mark up the floors. Ps I have over 4000 miles on my i2 just over 400 on my X2 and I got both at the same time the original plan was that my wife could use one but without the ADA backing the use she is restricted from using them in so many placeses she would rather walk than fight.

Good luck in your quest
I think the 4000 vs 400 rule of real life is very telling. Here we have a person who has both, can use either, and pretty much uses one 10 times more than the other.

In my mind it pretty much sums up why one is protected, and the other is primarily a recreational device, even though either can be used pretty much interchangeably. (other than doorways)

Thanks for this posting. (I know it was not supposed to be as significant as I am reacting, and is offered as informational, but I feel it is more important than some know)

I also feel a part time seat, (Seg Saddle, Lean Seat) on the segway is the answer to most of the questions on the OP. Legally, there are no places that the scooter can go that the segway cannot. Functionally, there are. Functionally, there are very few places, if any, that the scooter can go that the segway cannot.

One last point. Transporting the segway is inconvenient. Compared to transporting a mobility scooter, it is a walk in the park.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Violet

5 yr Member

Thanks for the responses.

I bought a Segway primarily for offroad use, so definitely need and like the X2. (Only bought one because it can go offroad. My other new thread explains why if you are curious.) I would buy the i2 wheels and swap them if I'm using it indoors more than a little.

I would love to have a seat, but I couldn't spend so much on one. I was hoping I could get a used high LeanSeat for half the price of new, but that's still expensive. Maybe down the road. Buying the i2 wheels gets priority.

(Also, my impression is that the LeanSeat is more like you perch yourself on it. Which seems like you have to actively sit, and it's not as restful as the bike-seat types. So far I can't imagine spending over $500 on a seat though. If finances were great, then I would spend $1000.)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Check the Cube Polo posting from a couple days ago under videos and podcasts. That looks like a pretty efficient Seg device!
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
russ498
russ498 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

In my mind it pretty much sums up why one is protected, and the other is primarily a recreational device, even though either can be used pretty much interchangeably. (other than doorways)

I have been away from the issue for a while. In what fashion is the I2 protected, and the X2 not? I am hoping to get another Seg soon and this could sway which one I choose. I had an X2 previously, and would likely get another, unless there is some ADA edict that makes the I2 acceptable and the X2 not. Thanks
russ498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I do not use my segway as a mobility device, so I am not a good source of data on this topic, but my understanding and the reason for my comment was that the EPAMD laws and definitions of many states defined the i2 width to be in compliance for protected use on sidewalks, but the x2 was too wide.

I believe that the ADA may use similar terms (EPAMD) and while I am not sure of the width issue federally, the enforcement will likely go to the locals even for federal issues, and therefore compliance with the greatest amount of rules puts the i2 in the advantage.

Or so I believe, at least.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

X2 and i2 are both coverd by ADA. I would keep in mind that the x2 will mark up floors and is to wide to use in most stores or hotels.
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Violet

5 yr Member

Although they can't deny your mobility device, I believe there is a loophole where they can say it's too dangerous for other customers, or for you because of their environment. (I think they are not supposed to, without very good reason, but they may?) I feel they might feel the X2 is more able to cause damage than i2.