SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
amwebby
amwebby is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Using a Segway with hemiplegia

My wife has severe hemiplegia as a result of a stroke suffered during a brain operation. She has some movement and use of her left leg but little-to-no use of her left hand or arm.

Has anyone any experience of this type of disability using a Segway? She uses a rotunda to stand so my thinking is she MAY be able to use a Segway as it is essentially a mobile rotunda. It would certainly take up less space than a wheelchair and may help to give her some measure of independence.
amwebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

If it happens she can't mount or dismount the Segway safely check out the Allychair at
www.allychair.com It has four point stabilizers that allow the Segway chair like stability.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwebby View Post
My wife has severe hemiplegia as a result of a stroke suffered during a brain operation. She has some movement and use of her left leg but little-to-no use of her left hand or arm.

Has anyone any experience of this type of disability using a Segway? She uses a rotunda to stand so my thinking is she MAY be able to use a Segway as it is essentially a mobile rotunda. It would certainly take up less space than a wheelchair and may help to give her some measure of independence.
I looked up rotunda to be sure what you are looking at. I cannot be sure of your situation (or your wife's in particular) but while a segway may look like a rotunda in some manners to a person who does not use a segway, it will act very differently than how a rotunda works as described on the net.

Your description of the segway as being essentially a mobile rotunda is what prompted me to look, and I am very familiar with segways, and my new found understanding of rotundas makes me say that they are very, very different, in form and function, even is somewhat similar in some appearances.

Good luck. Definitely go to a place that has segways ( a dealer, a tour, or some other place) and check them out, and see if they have some potential in your situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
amwebby

5 yr Member

I probably overstated the similarity. Certainly in terms of form and the function of an individual standing upright they are similar. Obviously the rotunda is only designed for one motion and that is a swivel round one, not a forward one.

I think locating my nearest dealer and trialing it is the obvious next step. I'm also intrigued by the various "chair" adaptations. Certainly the Segway offers the chance of a smaller footprint than a wheelchair, whether standing or sitting.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

With a left hemiplegia, your wife will want to stay away from generation 1 segway's as they require turning control with a left wrist twist. The generation 2 segway's use a "lean steer" system which involves tilting the handlebar to steer and should be more hemiplegic friendly.
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
amwebby

5 yr Member

Thanks for the heads up. That's useful to know.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Graham Bryce
Graham Bryce is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

MagiMike, I recently took delivery of an X2 Segway with a seat (From Living Spinal in San Diego. ) and R side-steering adaptation kit. I have had it modified with a hitch to be able to use it with the wheelchair lift on our minivan. So far, I am encouraged that it will allow me to explore places (rough trails, beaches, etc. ) that have been inaccessible to my conventional powerchair. Take a look at 'Segsolutions', seated Segway on YouTube and, even plan to use it with the trailer I use to transport my tennis chair. I've got lots of hopes for this device and, will keep folks updated here as I make progress. Something to consider is that one must have good 'seating-control' as you sit on this chair to avoid it beginning to move forward as you sit down on it in'riderless-balanced mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Graham Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Graham Bryce
Graham Bryce is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Regarding stoke survivors: to safely use a seated Segway, one needs fairly good mobility in order to be able to get on/off the chair. One does need to be able to dismount within 10 seconds should a 'safety shutdown' occur. For now, I've agreed that I'll only be riding my GlidR with supervision. So far I have managed to navigate a fairly steep (With some side-slope. ) path in a local mountainside park. I have never been able to get up this path unassisted in my conventional powerchair.

Graham Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bryce View Post
Regarding stoke survivors: to safely use a seated Segway, one needs fairly good mobility in order to be able to get on/off the chair. One does need to be able to dismount within 10 seconds should a 'safety shutdown' occur. For now, I've agreed that I'll only be riding my GlidR with supervision. So far I have managed to navigate a fairly steep (With some side-slope. ) path in a local mountainside park. I have never been able to get up this path unassisted in my conventional powerchair.

This is something I have not researched, but surely one feature that would be useful for more severely disabled folk would be some kind of a "retractable landing gear" that would stabilize the Seg for getting on and off. Do any of the later seg stand type of thing provide for this?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

The AllyChair has the 4 point retractable landing gear which makes for chair like stabile mounts and dismounts. Also, an important feature should a safety shutdown occur. The downside is it's high cost.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote