SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #71
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Seems like a mixed bag to me. I would have liked to see more hires photos. Also it it's so easy to take off the lean steer, why not show it. Didn't get to see the USB ports on the new front case, only that it has them.

I noticed that there are "depressions" or "indentations" now on the X2 cargo frames. I guess that's a small start in getting more room for your feet.

As Wendy's used to say "Where's the beef?"

jeff
I'm not disappointed by the new design (what I can see of it anyway).

I AM, however, dismayed by the extremely poor quality of their launch, starting with their website. Their site was always rather clunky, but this is a downgrade.

This is not how you showcase a product. I won't go so far as to call it "inept", though that word occurred to me. I'll save that for actual screwups.

But there's a systematic failure here to do anything significantly positive.

Rather than dive into all the detailed reasons I've formed this opinion, I'll just summarize it: I explored the complete content of the site, several times, looking for a reason to purchase a new Segway.

I didn't find any. I found lots of POTENTIAL reasons, but in EVERY case, ended up against a blank wall of "insufficient information".

Simple things, like photos and measurements of the cases. Would the stuff I put in the front case fit there now? Can I get stuff out of the case while on the Segway without dumping half the content on the ground?

I haven't a clue.

And that's a major part of what marketing -- good marketing -- is about: communicating to customers why they might like to buy your product.

Given an already motivated, knowledgeable buyer, this is a pretty stark failure.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #72
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I AM, however, dismayed by the extremely poor quality of their website.
I was met with an unnavigable site when attempting to access it from my iPhone.
I later tried on my desktop, hoping it would be better, I was astonished to see that there was so little work on the description or models, I gave up.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #73
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

I AM, however, dismayed by the extremely poor quality of their launch, starting with their website. Their site was always rather clunky, but this is a downgrade.

This is not how you showcase a product. I won't go so far as to call it "inept", though that word occurred to me. I'll save that for actual screwups.

Rather than dive into all the detailed reasons I've formed this opinion, I'll just summarize it: I explored the complete content of the site, several times, looking for a reason to purchase a new Segway.

I didn't find any. I found lots of POTENTIAL reasons, but in EVERY case, ended up against a blank wall of "insufficient information".

Simple things, like photos and measurements of the cases. Would the stuff I put in the front case fit there now? Can I get stuff out of the case while on the Segway without dumping half the content on the ground?

I haven't a clue.

And that's a major part of what marketing -- good marketing -- is about: communicating to customers why they might like to buy your product.

Given an already motivated, knowledgeable buyer, this is a pretty stark failure.

The new CEO is kind of a grunt, and the new video and website are sadly amateur, but I don't think they're horrible.

I think the company is surviving on the merits of the products themselves. People who recognize those merits and have a need for them and have the budget will buy them no matter what.

The new designs seem to be cost-cutting measures mainly without harming the essential quality and reliability of the product. The running lights are a good idea; the trimmed-down console looks more durable and maybe more weatherproof; and the LSF looks like it will be much easier to remove, though it's a little ugly.

Hard to tell about the accessories, but I think they're more serviceable than previous offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #74
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:

Yeah Bob, I agree with all of your comments. I found this "introduction" wanting and sad. It's as if they have no marketing consultants at all anymore. Demonstrating the new machine with its new features and accessories in the real world by real people (not some corporate drone at the factory) would have been the professional and exciting way to go. This looked amateurish and stark.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #75
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Also, I found this new "Silent Hunter" model, complete with "gun scabbard" (!) was the most unexpected feature of the new model, and it seems a bit creepy. Did their market research actually identify a significant and profitable demographic for this?

Considering this and the promo webinar, I'm wondering if some of these marketing and promotional decisions have been somewhat ego driven by the current president.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #76
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Also, I found this new "Silent Hunter" model, complete with "gun scabbard" (!) was the most unexpected feature of the new model, and it seems a bit creepy. Did their market research actually identify a significant and profitable demographic for this?

Who needs market research? Just follow what the bike industry has been doing for years.

Further. Faster. Quieter.
http://youtu.be/1VOSmyzRvuc
RUSA #235
UMCA #

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #77
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
'Rest assured the cost of production as an issue was addressed when the i2/x2 were first launched. Many of the components were outsourced to China even before that, but one of that primary purposes of that iteration (I won't say redesign, since many of the components were simply tweaked) -- outside of the lean steer -- was to bring production costs down.'
If by "addressed", you mean that Segway was fully aware that the manufacturing cost of the I2/X2 was approximately equal to the appropriate selling price, then, yes, Segway "addressed" production costs.

In the early days of Gen 2, (AFTER introduction) the top people at Segway said that they were working on a cost reduction project. They thought the optimal target selling price was around $3,500, but Segway was paying ~$2,500 for the lithium ion battery packs alone. They asked suppliers for technical contributions to help lower the price.

However, in subsequent years, there has been zero evidence for the consumer that Segway had any success with cost reductions. Prices went up, and they have continued to do so ever since.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #78
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Who needs market research? Just follow what the bike industry has been doing for years.

Further. Faster. Quieter.
http://youtu.be/1VOSmyzRvuc
Is this a joke? Segways have a real image problem. Some segway owners cannot even tell supporters from detractors.

But follow the biking industry?

Most people on the street have a non-committal view of segways. I have experienced many many people over the years, and while some clearly think the segway a bit dorky, most are curious and mostly positive of them as a concept, as an oddity. Most do not see a way to add them to their lives.

However, if I had to find one group, or one subgroup who are more or less enthusiastic about segways over others, it would not be too hard.

As for a subgroup of society who support segways, I would say three that come to mind, and they would be disabled folks, security folks, and tourists. (not in any particular order)

As for subgroups of society who do not support segways, or even go out of their way to malign and detract from segways, I would say bicyclists first, then certain tech writers. (pretty much in that order)

I cannot believe that what appeals to bicyclist would be on target for what appeals to the object of their hatred and derision.

Add to that, if we take the three suggestions one at a time...

1. Further. Maybe. I have to say however, that, most times I am tired enough to get off the segway before it runs out of power.

2. Faster. This is a regulated speed based on the laws of what is allowed on the sidewalk. I wonder if the seg could go a bit faster, but is constrained by the law.

3. Quieter. It is already pretty much the quietest conveyance in its class.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #79
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Some observations

IMO, the new Pelican side bags look much better than the kludges from GIVI. To keep those from falling off, they had to tighten the mount to the point that the button normally used to remove them from the Segway wouldn't work. It's too bad the 'universal' mounting plates had to be redesigned to accomodate them. Do the bags mount/unmount easily, yet securely?

The boxy front container looks a bit hokey to me. It should be easier to open and close than the old bag with its hard-to-grasp zipper nubs, but harder to keep the contents from falling out, unless it can be easily removed before opening, which isn't apparent.

The comfort mat, which nearly everyone will want, is still an accessory. What a waste.

The new center console doesn't have a cover that can easily be kicked off. That's good, but the polished plastic window probably won't look good for long. And is there still a dedicated place for a backup infokey battery somewhere?

I hope there will be a link to the SE's manual so we can get some of our questions answered.

I get the impression that INC may be promoting their products more aggressively, and that's encouraging. They mention some large retailers that would provide more exposure, but are they just examples, or have they made actual arrangements? We'll see.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #80
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

One thread down, JaredHT shows some pics of the new console.

It looks cheap, shiny, uneven.
I don't know why it isn't flat and level.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote