SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
doctorkurtschleg
doctorkurtschleg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
It has to be going with my Sweet wife to Yosemite valley. For years I would sit in the car or on a bench and watch the walkers and bicyclers have their fun. Now with the Segway, an entirely new world has been opened up to me.

Looking up at Half Dome and El Capitan just takes my breath away.

Here is a picture of me at Yosemite Falls. Now that was a GREAT DAY!
WOW! That is great! I thought that Segway's were not permitted in the National Parks, but looks like they lightened up finally! Awesome!
doctorkurtschleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #22
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonForester View Post
That's an abuse of the cargo plates. Properly cared for, those plates will easily haul one box of "adult beverages" each, for a very long time!

Use your zipper, man!

Great advice, but I fear you may be talking to a 'button fly' crowd!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Segway in Yosemite

Check with the park before you go. I have to get a disabled placard to use my segway in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkurtschleg View Post
WOW! That is great! I thought that Segway's were not permitted in the National Parks, but looks like they lightened up finally! Awesome!

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #24
team222badbrad
team222badbrad is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The other day I spotted an eagle in the backyard!

I also frequently sneak up on bunnies in the backyard.

My favorite thing is knowing that I'm always doing a wheelie
team222badbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #25
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Check with the park before you go. I have to get a disabled placard to use my segway in the park.
Yes, check first.

From Use of Segways by Persons with Disabilities in the National Park System, http://www.nps.gov/policy/Segway_memo.pdf:
Quote:
The NPS has been studying this situation and has been reviewing policies and practices of other Federal agencies. We have also been advised that the Department of Justice Disability Rights Section is currently studying this issue and we expect further guidance from them in the future. At the present time, we have not established a Servicewide position on allowing this device when used by individuals with disabilities as their mobility aide. We believe that there are places where it can and should be allowed, while there may be other places where, due to safety issues or resource management issues, it should not be allowed. In order to evaluate the long-term effect of this issue and to assess the impacts on the diverse settings represented throughout the National Park System, the NPS has decided to temporarily allow each park superintendent to establish their own interim policies and practices regarding the use of Segways by people with disabilities in their particular park.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #26
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This search will find the relevant policies for many of the parks. Not Yosemite, though.

http://tinyurl.com/nps-segway

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #27
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonForester View Post
That's an abuse of the cargo plates. Properly cared for, those plates will easily haul one box of "adult beverages" each, for a very long time!

Use your zipper, man!
It's true. There is no doubt that the cargo plates are multi-use structures.

I've also been seen around town with one case strapped to each plate a number of times. Although it does increase the difficulty of the glide as weight shift can be unpredictable and the restricted leg space does hamper movement.

On the other point, I prefer to keep flame(s) away from the front of my pants.

I wonder what other uses the Cargo Plates can perform?

What's your favorite thing on a Segway?
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
MJEdelman
MJEdelman is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Cigars and Gliding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
Cargo Plates that can be used for lighting your favorite smoke.

Out on a glide the other day and found myself without my trusty lighter to ignite a cigar for the trip home. I look in the bag and find some "light anywhere" matches.

Suffice it to say the cargo plates make an excellent strike pad for the matches and with one flick of the wrist, the cigar smoke started wafting skyward and the glide home was sweet.

What's your favorite thing about a Segway?
I always keep a spare lighter and cutter in my bag so that I can always have a cigar when I glide. I also have a cigar holder on my accessory bar.

Several people have commented to me that they know it's me on the Segway when they see the cigar smoke :-)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #29
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Another faorite thing . . .

Glidin' through gas/petrol stations and doing wheelies and circling the gas pumps with a smile on my face. Of course, all of this is done in a manner that does not disturb commerce and / or cause a public nuisance.

Mostly, the response is "Yeah" the price of gas is too high.

By the way, do Segways qualify for the "cash for clunkers" wealth transfer?
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #30
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post

By the way, do Segways qualify for the "cash for clunkers" wealth transfer?
Nah! they are not gas guzzlers...
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote