SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink New UK Car Tax ?

Hi

This is in the Times:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3512212.ece

If it actually comes to be law, that should be a positive thing for legalising Segway PTs in the UK.

Inexorably ...

Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Excellent find. I knew about the potential extra sales tax, but didn't realise it might be so imminent, but the section in the article which reads,
"The chancellor, in his Wednesday budget speech, is expected to lay out a vision of all motorists driving environmentally friendly electric or hydrogen-powered cars by 2050.

He has been influenced by a report by Julia King to be published on Wednesday which will call for “urgent” measures to change consumer behaviour. “Technology achieves nothing if it is not adopted,” the report, commissioned by Gordon Brown, will conclude."

has prompted me to email my local MP with the following:
"Hello, I am a private user of a "Segway" (see www.segway.com and www.segway.co.uk) and am at a loss as to why the Department of Transport is dragging its heels over amending legislation to accommodate this unique device, which could enhance personal short range mobility with the same degree of personal flexibility as a car, motor cycle or moped, but with no emissions (except for those created in the production of electricty).

My bemusement grows when I read in today's Times online that, "The chancellor, in his Wednesday budget speech, is expected to lay out a vision of all motorists driving environmentally friendly electric or hydrogen-powered cars by 2050.

He has been influenced by a report by Julia King to be published on Wednesday which will call for “urgent” measures to change consumer behaviour. “Technology achieves nothing if it is not adopted,” the report, commissioned by Gordon Brown, will conclude." (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3512212.ece)

The Segwat Personal Transporter (PT) has been available since 2001. A UK importer has striven to gain acceptance of this device in similar ways to an electrically assisted pedal cycle, but the DoT contines to quote decades old (and 19th century) legislation as to why it cannot be permitted on Britain's roads.

I would welcome the opportunity to let you experience my Segway yourself if you have any more queries, but I would also urge you to enquire why two facets of the Goverment seem to be so contradictory in their approach to technological advance and environmentlly friendly transportation.

Regards,etc.

I wonder if I'll get a reaction?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
CovRob

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovRob View Post
I wonder if I'll get a reaction?
Well, had a letter from the House of Commons from my MP inviting me to bring the Seg along to his next "surgery" at the end of the month...he's very interested in finding our more.

Best get armed with all the relevant European related info plus the safety evaluations.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Good letter and great response! Congrats.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
seglander
seglander is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Our Green Car policy

Cov Rob - the UK is doing OK by our standards - have a look at what comes into effect in Ireland on July 1 2008 in Ireland, part of the Green programme in government.

The motor tax is paid annually on the car, same as the UK road tax but our rates are a little hgher as you can see below from the table which is now emissions based.

Motor tax:

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - €100
Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - €290
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - €600
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000
Band G (>225 grams per km) - €2,000

This next table details the purchase tax on cars, basically this tax is a percentage of the RRP of the car so here is how it works.

VAT of 21% is added to the invoive price then VRT is added as a percentage of the retail price.

The VRT bands are as follows:
Band A (<=120 grams per km) - 14%
Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - 16%
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - 20%
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - 24%
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - 28%
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - 32%
Band G (>225 grams per km) - 36%
Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglander View Post
Cov Rob - the UK is doing OK by our standards - have a look at what comes into effect in Ireland on July 1 2008 in Ireland, part of the Green programme in government.

The motor tax is paid annually on the car, same as the UK road tax but our rates are a little hgher as you can see below from the table which is now emissions based.

Motor tax:

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - €100
Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - €290
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - €600
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000
Band G (>225 grams per km) - €2,000

This next table details the purchase tax on cars, basically this tax is a percentage of the RRP of the car so here is how it works.

VAT of 21% is added to the invoive price then VRT is added as a percentage of the retail price.

The VRT bands are as follows:
Band A (<=120 grams per km) - 14%
Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - 16%
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - 20%
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - 24%
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - 28%
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - 32%
Band G (>225 grams per km) - 36%
ok, so Porsche are working on a pedal car??
Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
seglander

5 yr Member

Petty much, any large car, high performance or heavy car will get hit. The Mazda RX-8 is in the highest bracket as most Turbo powered cars even those with small engines around 2.0l Diesels will do better than the old system but many of the large exec diesels and SUVs will get caught and many will move up to the 2k per year road tax bracket if registered in July.

Also if you are car enthusiast and import and 15 year old sports car you will automatically be put in the top bracket. Or if you import a small car from the UK that does not have the CE certificate from the manufacturer stating the emissions (available from 2002 or so on) you get landed in the top bracket.

I can see the reasoning but its not equitable, take your Porsche owner, that car may only do a few 1000 kms a year but it will have to pay top dollar where a small engine doing huge distances will polute more. I know that my 1.9 Tdi VW pollutes far more than many high performance cars or SUVs as it covers 30-40k km per year.

I think they should have taxed the fuel as that would be directly proportional to the amount used and more in line with the polluter pays arguement. It would also make you think twice everytime that you fill up. Unfortunatle fuel is in our inflationary basket and to increase it would send our inflation numbers through the roof.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

This is interesting. You see it's funny, I was just in the hospital and while there watched a lot of cnn. One of the stories was regarding the American government. They are considering imposing a new tax where you get an extra tax for driving distances and pay more for rush hour driving. They are thinking of using GPS units to track milage and times and charge you accordingly. Sounds simiilar. And someone mentioned taxing the gas itself. The U.S. already does that. Gas prices are outrageous here but I need not complain because although they are really bad for U.S. gas prices they still are nowhere near what you guys pay in Europe!! Besides once we get a democrat in office the gas prices will lower anyway!

Jeremy Ryan

Last edited by jryan; 03-14-2008 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Obama 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Only One The Big Oil Companies Cannot Buy Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
seglander

5 yr Member

I hear you on fuel prices, 1 litre here is approx €1.21, a liter is approx 1/4 of a US gallon so with current exchange rates we are about USD$7.40 per gallon. Its very similar prices at the moment for gas and diesel although diesel is becoming much more popular.

I have added a Green Commuting section to our site to stir teh debate based on actual data from Dublin which is gauranteed to vure insominia along with a live crude oil price feed.

@Cov Rob maybe this might be of interest in your submission, this is only an extraction from a much bigger document that we use in Governmental submissions.

Green Commuting
Old 03-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
CovRob

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglander View Post
I have added a Green Commuting section to our site to stir teh debate based on actual data from Dublin which is gauranteed to vure insominia along with a live crude oil price feed.

@Cov Rob maybe this might be of interest in your submission, this is only an extraction from a much bigger document that we use in Governmental submissions.

Green Commuting
Wow, great source of data. I've cut & pasted a whole chunk to peruse later. Thanks.