SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default I can no longer recommend a Segway as a Mobility Device!

RANT WARNING!

What other consumer transportation device costs $6,000 and has to be shipped back to the factory of origin for major repairs? Snowmobile? Nope! Jetski? Nope! Moped? Nope! Power wheelchair? NOPE!

The "world class service" bulls%$# that Segway touted when they released the I2-SE - world class... right! Give me a BREAK! World class service does not mean "If you live anywhere in the world, you have to send it back to the factory for chassis repair"

A disabled person can't depend on a Segway as a mobility device. Keep a "real" wheel chair around because if you have a chassis fault your "legs" need a trip back to the factory for TWO F&^%$#@ MONTHS.

For years, companies that manufacture complex equipment have relied on 3rd parties for repairs. It's about time for Segway to step up and have a company like GE or The Geek Squad perform on-site or carry-in repair.

Two controller boards, one BSA, two motors, two transmissions, one power-supply, one radio board, and one leanstear assembly. That's it. A simple flowchart and have a service company swap out the parts.

Segway dealers already swap out tires, wheels, elastomeric couplers, grips, fenders, footpads and batteries. There is some process in place for repairing a small portion of the Segway. As I recall the radio board problem with the early i2s was performed by dealers. First generation Segways could have their firmware upgraded by plugging the Segway into a specially configured laptop.

Just as a reality check I typed "Wheelchair Repair" into Google Search:
Power Wheelchair Repair - Nationwide Service - Precision ...
http://www.precisionrepairnetwork.co...hair-repair.ht...
We specialize in power wheelchair repair at Precision Repair Network, and offer nationwide service in the 48 contiguous states.

Wheelchair and Scooter Repair- Your Repair Solution
www.wsrsolutions.com/
Wheelchair and Scooter Repair (WSR) is a nationally accredited repair ... We specialize in in-home power wheelchair and scooter repair and have WSR service ...
‎Contact Us - ‎FAQ - ‎Through Medicare - ‎What We Do

SpinLife Nationwide Service: We Repair Power Chairs ...
https://www.spinlife.com/service/
SpinLife can diagnose or repair your scooter, power chair, lift chair, patient lift, ... SpinLife.com - Experts in wheelchairs, mobility scooters, lift chairs, and more

Wheelchair Maintenance - Power Wheelchair Repair ...
www.hhdepot.com/products/parts-service/
Home Health Depot provides power wheelchair repair, wheelchair maintenance, and wheelchair parts throughout the Midwest including Indianapolis and ...

Medicare Policies Restricting Power Wheelchair Repairs ...
https://www.aahomecare.org/.../medic...ing-power-whee...
Medicare Policies Restricting Power Wheelchair Repairs Leave Vulnerable Beneficiaries with Limited Mobility. Fri, July 26, 2013. Washington, D.C.. For years ...

Service & Repair | Numotion
http://www.numotion.com/products-ser...service-repair
Products & Services · Complex Power Wheelchairs · Manual Wheelchairs ... Frequently needed service and repairs include replacement of batteries, tires, arm ...

Parts and Repair - Hometown Medical Supplies
www.hometown-medical.com/services/repair.html
... technicians provide replacement parts, service and repair of power mobility equipment including power lift chairs, power wheelchairs, power mobility scooters, ...
It seems to me that any company that can repair a power wheelchair can repair a Segway. "Parts is Parts"

Last argument. Eco-Friendly. How eco-friendly is it to send the entire unit back to the factory for repair?

Segway either decides to make their products repairable or people will stop buying them... Oh wait...

But then again, I could be wrong.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote