SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
JW Hunter
JW Hunter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

JW Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #12
Gimpy guy
Gimpy guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Just returned from San Antonio and met some of the most amazing people. I have a little more info on the Ally. It's had a facelift among other things.

It's been a long day and I'm a busted up dude so I'll write more on Thursday. Thanks again for all the info here.
Gimpy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Gimpy guy

5 yr Member

My apologies up front this is a long post for a new guy.

Ok so after my arrival in San Antonio I rolled down to the training site which to my surprise had an open door for those interested in the program. Inside there were people in the training process. Many high level amputees thru the use of amazing prosthetics and dedicated highly trained volunteers somehow got on the Segway. Just amazing!

I had the chance to speak with Jerry Kerr, mostly about the DRAFT programs but he was sitting in the Ally so I also asked just a few questions. I always kept in mind that this was not a marketing event for the chair and I was a guest. So I kept my questions under control.

At the moment the Ally is being produced for the sole use of those brave men and women that gave the use of their bodies to protect our freedoms. Sadly they are seeing many kids just blown off from the waist down. But they ability to produce numbers is there.

Jerry told me that funding will dictate the numbers to be given away but said the group is ready to produce as many as needed. We spoke about production briefly. I got the idea they are not ready to release when the Ally will be available to the general public and I didn't push hard on the subject.

He did say it is important that this chair gets in the hands, or under the butt, of all persons who would benefit from its unique design. As part of the DRAFT mission it seems like a logical next step. I get the idea that it will to sooner than later.

The Ally itself looked far different than what I had seen in the past. It's a much cleaner less industrial looking chair now. With its stainless footrest and chrome wheels it looked much nicer. They are also constantly tweaking all the chairs systems and I'm told a major engineering firm is also on board for the final tweaks.

ROHO the masters in seating have partnered on the Ally project. Agility back rest are the bomb!

ROHO Helps Honor Disabled Veterans with Custom-Designed Cushion Donation

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, November 17, 2014 - During a Veteran’s Day commemoration ceremony at the historic Alamo, 40 wounded service members were honored with the gift of custom-built Segway® transporters. Of those, four were Ally Chair Adapted Segways outfitted with ROHO® cushions and ROHO® AGILITY™ backrests. These donations were made possible by Segs4Vets to improve their mobility and independence.

The honored veterans served in either Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom in Iraq and Afghanistan. Twenty five of the 40 veterans lost limbs during their service. They now carry a permanent reminder of their military service and will for the rest of their lives.

Segs4Vets is ranked as one of America’s best charities by the Independent Charities of America and has received the prestigious Spirit of Hope Award from the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Jerry Kerr, President and Co-Founder of Segs4Vets presented the specially adapted Segways on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 10:45 a.m. at a public ceremony during the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce’s annual Celebrate America’s Military week.

This year’s presentation is the fourteenth time specially adapted Segways have been presented to recognize veterans. Four of the 2014 recipients received an Ally Chair Adapted Segway. The Ally Chair is a new, universally designed recreational device, which is currently only available through Segs4Vets. The Segs4Vets program transforms the traditional Segway transporter into a seated mobility device for individuals who cannot use prosthetic devices. Plans are underway to expand the offerings of Ally Chairs utilizing ROHO technologies for eligible veterans.

The Ally Chair utilizes ROHO’s seat cushions and AGILITY™ Backrests to provide skin protection, positioning and comfort for the user. ROHO’s unique cellular-air design constantly adjusts to an individual's body movement and adapts to their changing shape. The adjustment and conformity of the cells accommodate and meet the one-of-a-kind skin integrity needs for each veteran throughout the day. This year alone, ROHO has donated $32,000 in engineering and customer manufactured products in support of Segs4Vets’ mission.
In addition to those who lost limbs, other recipients either sustained spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, severe burns, developed cancer, or suffered severe orthopedic, neurological and soft tissue damage which makes it difficult or impossible for them to walk without assistance or pain. Studies show the lack of mobility is a greater obstacle to employment than blindness. Many are being treated at the Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston. Military medical centers have incorporated the Segway into rehabilitation since Segs4Vets began awarding the transporters nine years ago.

ABOUT SEGS4VETS
Segs4Vets is a program of Disability Rights Advocates for Technology (DRAFT). The program is dedicated to restoring independence and productivity to severely injured service members as part of DRAFT’s core mission to expand and improve access for all disabled people. Segs4Vets has awarded more than 1,300 Segways since 2005 and plans to continue the program to meet the ongoing needs of the thousands of worthy applicants who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. As a charitable organization, $0.94 of every dollar goes towards providing equipment and services to veterans.

ABOUT ROHO
ROHO is the worldwide leader of seating solutions that prevent and treat pressure ulcers and tissue deformation. ROHO's technology provides skin protection and positioning in a variety of applications; from wheelchair cushions, to therapeutic mattresses, to wheelchair backs and more.
ROHO's products deliver life-changing benefits, offering comfort and protection to people relying on wheelchairs for mobility. ROHO is the pioneer of air-cell based cushions, and created DRY FLOATATION TECHNOLOGY® mimicking the pressure-redistributing properties of water. With over 1 million ROHO products in use in over 80 countries worldwide, clinicians can be confident in prescribing ROHO products. Plus, all ROHO products are backed by an unmatched level of clinical evidence from leading researchers around the world.

With the increasing focus on patient outcomes and safety, ROHO's established technology is paramount in treating the over 2.5 million patients suffering pressure ulcers annually and reducing the $11 billion in annual healthcare cost for the treatment of pressure ulcers.

I've used ROHO products under my butt for decades and theses guys are the real deal. With a company like that partnering things will go right.

I learned a lot in the last few days.
Ok I still don't have a Ally but it's my belief I will soon. Jerry and one of his VPs, Alan, gave me their contact info so I can keep in touch. These are genuine guys that simply want to advance mobility and I'm cool with that.

That's about it. All I can say is the people, all volunteers from around the nation that drive the DRAFT/Segs4vets machine are just the best this country has to offer. The advancements made thru the horrors of war will change the lives of all of us with disabilities.

I left humbled.

One last pic. I'm told the grip is a not available....or functional as a weapon, lol

[

After seeing one in the flesh I want... Need it more than ever.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks for sharing!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Tuna
Tuna is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Gimpy Guy,

Thank you for your informative post. I too am passionate about getting one of these seated Segways. Maybe we can join forces? I sent you a PM.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

The gun handle grip would not be advisable in my neck of the woods. You would be opening yourself up to the statement................. "I thought he had a gun."

Thanks for the informative post.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #17
Gimpy guy

5 yr Member

Hey guys.
For me I don't need to look any further. After seeing the Ally in use and its new look it will work fine for me.

A few factors come into play. I'm L4 complete and this would be me primary chair. The Ally is built in the US and has been in some sort of production for the last three or four years. With the commitment segs4vets have made to our injured I know service will be available after the sale.

In all honesty my biggest concern is the Segway. No matter what the ally won't fly with lion power. Then it appears that all real service comes from the factory.....yikes!l I'll end up buying two Segways just to cover all my numb butt.

It's a nice chair, not perfect but as good as these come.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
rickb

5 yr Member

Is Segway Inc. partnered with Segs4Vets in any way?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default They are not

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
Is Segway Inc. partnered with Segs4Vets in any way?
No Rick, Segway, Inc. is not partnered with Segs4Vets.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #20
rickb

5 yr Member

Seems logical that Segway, Inc. would in some way get behind such a dedicated volunteer group as Segs4Vets.