SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I2 Lean Steer Wrench

I've been looking at several versions of these for more than a year, but they always appeared to be too fragile, cost too much and/or they were charging too darned much for shipping, so I never bought one. Now that I finally have, I thought I'd share what I found

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Segway-x2-o...72.m2749.l2649

This vendor (I have no affiliation) finally brought the price down to $14 with free shipping, so I thought I'd give one of them a try - Still a lot of money for a bit of plastic, but they do the job. I think they are made using a 3D printer. These particular ones are quite durable and I don't think we have to worry about breaking them. If there's any downside, it's that they are intended to be permanently mounted on the adjustment knob and nearly impossible to move one from machine to machine, so if you have more than one, you'll need to buy more than one wrench

We take our lean steers apart when we transport our Segs in our van, so we were both getting really tired of the adjustments slipping because we couldn't tighten the adjustment knobs tight enough by hand - Problem solved!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
russ498
russ498 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Thanks. I just ordered one based on your recommendation.
russ498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Years ago when I gave frequent demos, I carried a rubber jar lid opener, which allowed more torque on the knob than bare fingers.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My I2 is so old, it doesn't even have a knob!
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Both of ours are 2007 models. The adjustment knob is one of very few glaring engineering deficiencies with the I2's, IMO . . . . other than the fact that there's no shut-off switch to keep from running the battery down. It's nearly impossible to grip that tiny polished knob firmly enough to hand tighten it to keep the height adjustment where you want it, especially if you're taking it up a flight of stairs. They did give it very fine threads which gives you a little more 'leverage' but it would have been very easy to give the knob a flat space so you could get a better grip on it - If they had made it a hexagon or an octagon would have worked lots better

I considered several 'fixes' because I just wasn't going to spend $18 plus $4 shipping for an ounce of plastic, which is what most of the people making these were charging when I first looked into buying one 18 months ago. I understand making things using 3D printers probably isn't cheap, but I just wasn't willing to pay that - I was gonna epoxy a little metal bar to the front of the knob, but that would have looked pretty tacky

These ones are a little cheaper and definitely more robustly designed than most of the others. For people like us who remove the knob every time we load the Segs into the van, they're a real lifesaver . . . . and $14 is way easier to justify than $22 . . . . at least for me it is

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim

5 yr Member

I have had this plastic wrench on my i2SE for a couple years. I love it. It is a snug fit, so that it won't fall off. But with a little bit of effort you can remove it.
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote