SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
edugimeno
edugimeno is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Anyone has experience on DIY batt repairs?

Hi there.
So rry if this has been asked before, I checked some pages down and couldn't find it.
I have experience in repairing different battery packs from different appliances, finding the shorted element, find the proper type for replacement, solder, etc...

Last week a friend told me that his segway is broken cause his friend borrowed it for some months and left it discharged for too long, so now it would refuse to start up

I've seen some videos about the battery inside, the control board, etc, but with not much detail.

Has anyone here ventured into "home repairing" this block? Does it have regular 18650 batteries in it? What other info do you guys know about it?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edugimeno View Post
Hi there.
So rry if this has been asked before, I checked some pages down and couldn't find it.
I have experience in repairing different battery packs from different appliances, finding the shorted element, find the proper type for replacement, solder, etc...

Last week a friend told me that his segway is broken cause his friend borrowed it for some months and left it discharged for too long, so now it would refuse to start up

I've seen some videos about the battery inside, the control board, etc, but with not much detail.

Has anyone here ventured into "home repairing" this block? Does it have regular 18650 batteries in it? What other info do you guys know about it?

Thanks in advance!!
Which Segway? The newer ones use Lithium batteries with a fairly unique chemical mix. They are from Valence and are 26650 configuration, not like the more common 18650. It looks like the cells are roughly $8 each from Valence.

See page 3 of this thread for Civicsman's post on the manufacturer.
http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthr...t=34643&page=3

You might be better off effort and cost wise, looking into one of the battery repair services. I think there are a couple of businesses on here that handle that.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
edugimeno

5 yr Member

I just contacted my friend and he said it's an I2. Does that use the 18650 or 26650? Either way I would honestly try by myself, so I would appreciate any hint to this task if anyone has accomplished this before.
Thanks Pescador12!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
You might be better off effort and cost wise, looking into one of the battery repair services. I think there are a couple of businesses on here that handle that.
Cheaper yet might be to try to revive them yourself

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthr...battery+revive

Don
Old 05-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Cheaper yet might be to try to revive them yourself

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthr...battery+revive

Don
And if you dont know what your doing?....Were talking DC power!

Everyone trying to reinvent the wheel when there are reputable companies that do this full time for a living, and are very reasonable in cost!

How much would that ER room visit cost?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
edugimeno

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
And if you dont know what your doing?....Were talking DC power!

Everyone trying to reinvent the wheel when there are reputable companies that do this full time for a living, and are very reasonable in cost!

How much would that ER room visit cost?
Reinvent the wheel? Do you know how much does a 18650 battery cost? I do know how much a repair service costs for these batteries. I've saved myself LOTS of money by repairing battery packs by replacing individual cells that were broken, instead of buying a >$100 new pack or using a refurb service.

I've fixed all sorts of batteries and electronics boards in the last 35 years. Who ever doesn't know what they're doing should be using their service, whoever knows what they're doing should be safe to do this.

If I didn't know what I'm talking about I wouldn't even be bothering getting into this. I just haven't dealt with the specific Segway battery pack before, but there's always a first time. My friend is bringing his over in a few days
Old 05-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edugimeno View Post
Reinvent the wheel? Do you know how much does a 18650 battery cost? I do know how much a repair service costs for these batteries. I've saved myself LOTS of money by repairing battery packs by replacing individual cells that were broken, instead of buying a >$100 new pack or using a refurb service.

I've fixed all sorts of batteries and electronics boards in the last 35 years. Who ever doesn't know what they're doing should be using their service, whoever knows what they're doing should be safe to do this.

If I didn't know what I'm talking about I wouldn't even be bothering getting into this. I just haven't dealt with the specific Segway battery pack before, but there's always a first time. My friend is bringing his over in a few days
Then go for it buddy!!!!....Why are you even asking questions on a open form then?( should be asking on a battery forum).....Good luck to you and I hope you never get in between the - side with any type of load behind it!

Far as I know a new battery is $900.....an ER visits far more, and if you get any burns or your heart stops, I'll guess it will cost a little more!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
Pescador12

5 yr Member

The i2 should be the 26650 cells. There are videos done on taking apart the battery case so you can see whats inside. You would just need to know how to weld nickle strips to the replacement batteries (heavy gauge wire and a modded transformer). The battery enthusiast forums/websites might be even more helpful.

I don't think the voltages are that big a deal. Just work on a bench so you can run or fall away from the circuit.

Isn't Tesla making a big deal out of them starting up a 26650 cell manufacturing line?
Old 05-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Far as I know a new battery is $900.....an ER visits far more, and if you get any burns or your heart stops, I'll guess it will cost a little more!
I agree - You probably should be paying someone to change the batteries in your flashlight!

Don
Old 05-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Everyone has different levels of risk they can handle.

Closed Thread