SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #41
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Yes, a retractable, self-leveling kickstand similar to the Genny's. I hope Segway, Inc. announces the specs on this new model to the Segway Lineup soon.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #42
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
I think it would be cool if it stood up on two wheels when you started moving. Going down a curb would be much easier if you are balanced on two wheels.

Slow down and it rocks down on three wheels. It will be interesting.
Yeah, that's my idea, too! The third wheel would be an outrigger, with or without Bob's active steering assist. It would lower at a slow speed and be there to stabilize the machine when the rider dismounts.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #43
PaulDV
PaulDV is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

How about a T3 type design which incorporates an active trailing wheel system akin to the stunt scooters like this:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/568...t_scooters.jpg

The machine would be more stable than either a T3 or a Segway PT as the machine would lean into the turn transferring the weight to the outside rear wheel while using the 'redundant' inside rear wheel for additional support and directional control. A little bit like how a skier slaloms down a hill.

Almost zero turning could be achieved with this design particularly if it is the rear wheels that provide the drive.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PaulDV; 03-16-2013 at 03:34 PM..
PaulDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #44
rickb

5 yr Member

Perhaps Segway will use their existing 3 wheel RMP50 XL robotics platform as their new 'Patroller' Model.

Accoding to Segway: The Segway RMP50 XL is a compact, highly maneuverable, statically stable robotics platform. It’s durability, reliability and payload capacity make it an ideal choice for teaching environments, competitions, service applications and other high-use situations.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #45
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I'm hoping to see some Segway Magic on this thing, but in reality I expect it will be not that much different from a T3.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #46
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
Perhaps Segway will use their existing 3 wheel RMP50 XL robotics platform as their new 'Patroller' Model.

Accoding to Segway: The Segway RMP50 XL is a compact, highly maneuverable, statically stable robotics platform. It’s durability, reliability and payload capacity make it an ideal choice for teaching environments, competitions, service applications and other high-use situations.
I used the link, and think that if we are going to speculate, this make a great deal of sense as to where we start.

It is a 3 wheel platform that is currently in production, so why would segway start somewhere else to make a 3 wheel platform? This makes the most sense to me as what we may be looking at. This item with a leansteer.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #47
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I used the link, and think that if we are going to speculate, this make a great deal of sense as to where we start.

It is a 3 wheel platform that is currently in production, so why would segway start somewhere else to make a 3 wheel platform? This makes the most sense to me as what we may be looking at. This item with a leansteer.
Hey! There's my "outrigger"! Honest, I never saw this image before I got my idea about a 3-wheeled transporter!

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #48
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The spec sheet for that particular model (RMP50 XL) says that the machine has 2 wheel drive 'Tractor' mode, which is not self balancing. It is designed to be driven via joystick (or computer equivalent) This may be the reason the base is restricted to 8 mph as a max speed.

This might be a problem with this as a base, because a person standing on it would have similar top heavy problems related to the Q or rad to go. I would not want to be standing on this unit, at full speed down hill and try to stop fast.

However, the combined spec sheet of all the models available with the links on that page say that the RMP 50 XL has both balancing and tractor mode available.

It still seems to me that to combat the inherent instability of high speed turns on small wheelbase trikes, there still has to be an element of balance mode.

It further seems to me to combat the inherent instability of low speed or parked functionality, a 3rd something (wheel or foot) needs to be in place.

This is the first new news from Segway in a while, that I have heard of. It is nice to hear something new is coming out. (I am not involved with the RMPs at all, and there very well may have been regular news from that division that I am unfamiliar with)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #49
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
The spec sheet for that particular model (RMP50 XL) says that the machine has 2 wheel drive 'Tractor' mode, which is not self balancing. It is designed to be driven via joystick (or computer equivalent) This may be the reason the base is restricted to 8 mph as a max speed.

This might be a problem with this as a base, because a person standing on it would have similar top heavy problems related to the Q or rad to go. I would not want to be standing on this unit, at full speed down hill and try to stop fast.

However, the combined spec sheet of all the models available with the links on that page say that the RMP 50 XL has both balancing and tractor mode available.

It still seems to me that to combat the inherent instability of high speed turns on small wheelbase trikes, there still has to be an element of balance mode.

It further seems to me to combat the inherent instability of low speed or parked functionality, a 3rd something (wheel or foot) needs to be in place.

This is the first new news from Segway in a while, that I have heard of. It is nice to hear something new is coming out. (I am not involved with the RMPs at all, and there very well may have been regular news from that division that I am unfamiliar with)
You're right of course, Karl. I was just elated to see my postulated "caster." As I related initially in this thread, the caster would have to somehow get up and out of the way of the standard Segway dynamic balancing system when the machine's speed was up above a crawl.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #50
rickb

5 yr Member

Also, the new RMP220 model.......still no specs but apparently available......I find interesting because of the chair height platform.......that could be seat modified for gliding in a full time seated position.

When I saw the three wheeler on Inc's website........ my initial response was hey that's Dan's Outrigger idea.

Last edited by rickb; 03-18-2013 at 12:53 PM..