SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Stuff to Buy and Sell

Notices

Stuff to Buy and Sell Classified ads for anything Segway-related accessories, products and sales.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
snaffah
snaffah is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway batteries

Rebuilt Segway batteries. 6.4ah capacity, one year warranty. 1350 shipped per set. Also have good nimh batteries, good used lithium batteries, segways both gen one, i2 and x2. All kinds of other accessories and parts as well. 978-944-0330 is my cell, my email is Stephennaffah@gmail.com

- Steve
snaffah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

This is just a follow-up to a recent transaction I had with this seller (Steve @ Segways4Less/SegwaySolutions). I am a first-time Segway owner, and I purchased a machine that had a bad battery. After years away, I logged back into this site as I had found it to be incredibly helpful in the past. I browsed the classifieds and came across Steve's listing for new and used Segway parts. I spoke with him a few times (via phone and e-mail) in regard to battery solutions. He mentioned that he has a number of good used batteries on hand, so I decided to go with that since I didn't even know if the rest of the machine would be good to go.

Anyway, during our conversations, Steve said that most of his batteries are five years old or less. My machine is a 2010, and the one battery is OK. I paid for one of the used batteries on a Tuesday morning. Throughout the week, I attempted to contact Steve in an effort to get shipping/tracking information. By next week, I had not received a reply to neither my calls nor my e-mails. I decided to go ahead and open a case with Paypal. Within an hour or two, I got a call back from Steve. He said that the battery would ship out right away. A few days later I received it.

The battery I received isn't in the best of condition. It was dirty and had plenty of scratches. Not a big deal to me as nothing I own is "pretty." However, the part that bothered me is that the battery is nearly ten years old (made in early 2007.) Even before the battery had shipped, I specifically asked what year it was. Steve replied that the battery wasn't right in front of him, so he couldn't give me a definite answer. Upon receiving it and discovering that it was twice as old as he had previously described, I contacted him to ask why I had received an old battery. He replied that it tested well and would offer a replacement if it failed within a year.

Thus far, the battery seems to work OK. Will it last for at least a year? I have no idea. The range doesn't seem to be very good, and the battery indicator actually goes up and down inconsistently. Another forum member suggested that this might mean impending battery trouble in the near future. I have no idea as I have virtually no experience in judging the range of Segway batteries. Had I known that I would be buying a battery that is almost ten years old, I never would've gone through with it. In all honesty, the whole transaction thus far hasn't exactly inspired much confidence in the idea of a one-year replacement (if the battery happens to fail.)

Bottom line, I can't recommend buying used batteries from this seller. The rest of his items may be perfectly fine. And who knows. Maybe this old battery will last another ten years. From what I've been reading, used Segway batteries are always a bit of a gamble. I was just hoping to decrease my odds of "losing" that gamble by purchasing a newer used battery. I THOUGHT that was what I would be getting. If you decide to purchase batteries from this seller, make sure you know exactly what you'll be getting.

Last edited by ions82; 08-19-2016 at 06:16 AM..
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
snaffah

5 yr Member

Seth,

Thanks for your passive aggressive response. You're welcome to return it. Also, please consider the warranty I offered you void as of today. I sell quality batteries and segways, there is a better way to deal with it if you're not happy.

- Steve.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Not attempting to be passive-agressive. I was sold a "2012, 2013" battery, but I received one from 2007. Even before the battery was shipped, I specifically asked about the year. I wasn't given a response. I was told I was buying a newer battery and received an old one. Yet, I am expected to be OK with this. Then, I was offered the option of paying more money to return it. No offer of exchange for what I was originally sold. Once I realized I was involved in a bait-and-switch, I lost all faith that any sort of "spoken word" warranty would ever be worth anything, anyway.

Bottom line, this forum exists for users to HELP fellow Segway users. Not deceive one another. In my opinion, pointing out dishonesty isn't being passive-aggressive. It's simply informing other Segway users of my experience. If one is selling things in a public forum, users are likely to share their experiences. I have to feel as though most users wouldn't be too happy about receiving a battery that is nearly ten years old when the seller said the used units were less than five years old. Then again, maybe I'm just being unreasonable.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
snaffah

5 yr Member

Seth, I am embarrassed for you. You are very friendly on the phone and seem to be reasonable, but can't seem to be able to voice your apparent unsatisfacrion. I'll gladly pay return shipping, no idea where you're getting half of what you're talking about. I will call you tomorrow and maybe you can muster it up then.

- Steve
Old 08-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'm embarrassed for someone else

Steve also told me his used batteries were "mostly 2010 to 2012 units" when I inquired about buying a set of his rebuilt units. He couldn't offer me hardly anything for my green light 2007 batteries in exchange because he couldn't re-sell them (they're too old) and he already has hundreds of cases to use for rebuilding

I think when you tell someone they're getting a newer battery and you ship them a nearly 10 year old one, 'bait and switch' is the proper term for what happened and I would be very unhappy too

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaffah View Post
Seth,

Thanks for your passive aggressive response. You're welcome to return it. Also, please consider the warranty I offered you void as of today. I sell quality batteries and segways, there is a better way to deal with it if you're not happy.

- Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaffah View Post
Seth, I am embarrassed for you. You are very friendly on the phone and seem to be reasonable, but can't seem to be able to voice your apparent unsatisfacrion. I'll gladly pay return shipping, no idea where you're getting half of what you're talking about. I will call you tomorrow and maybe you can muster it up then.

- Steve

Pretty unprofessional. I think we all know who NOT to do "business" with based upon this.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

This post is a follow-up to my buying experience with this seller of Segway batteries. I received a newer (2012) battery to replace the older one (2007). To be fair, the older battery seemed to work fine (but is most likely near the end of its life cycle.) I got the newer one charged up and have tested it out several times. It seems to have great range (more so than the older one). I don't know if it's a guarantee that a newer battery is ALWAYS better than an older one, but most seem to suggest that newer batteries are likely to last longer. So, in the end, the seller set me up with a great used battery that should last until it's time for a new set.

Although I haven't been a Segway owner for very long, my experience with them is that these batteries are of very high quality and built to last about as long as one could ever expect for a lithium battery. It's too bad that OEM Segway lithium batteries aren't exempt from airline restrictions. I've never heard of a Segway battery failing and causing a fire. Unfortunately, crappy hoverboards are often referred to as "Segways" after they burst into flames. The REAL Segway batteries, however, seem to be amazingly reliable. Makes me wonder what the record mileage is for a set of OEM batteries.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
This post is a follow-up to my buying experience with this seller of Segway batteries. I received a newer (2012) battery to replace the older one (2007). To be fair, the older battery seemed to work fine (but is most likely near the end of its life cycle.) I got the newer one charged up and have tested it out several times. It seems to have great range (more so than the older one). I don't know if it's a guarantee that a newer battery is ALWAYS better than an older one, but most seem to suggest that newer batteries are likely to last longer. So, in the end, the seller set me up with a great used battery that should last until it's time for a new set.

Although I haven't been a Segway owner for very long, my experience with them is that these batteries are of very high quality and built to last about as long as one could ever expect for a lithium battery. It's too bad that OEM Segway lithium batteries aren't exempt from airline restrictions. I've never heard of a Segway battery failing and causing a fire. Unfortunately, crappy hoverboards are often referred to as "Segways" after they burst into flames. The REAL Segway batteries, however, seem to be amazingly reliable. Makes me wonder what the record mileage is for a set of OEM batteries.
Good to hear the seller made things right in spite of the "noise" in the process.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote