SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway Hauler Failure = 60 MPH Segway

*** First Off This Could Have Been Far Far Worse ***

Background
I2 Segway PT Hauler.
This unit is very similar to the original Segway Corp Hauler but is not Segway manufactured/controlled. It was sold by a quality Segway Dealership. You can see their old ads on uTube. For my car the 1.25 inch tow bar is used and it is a solid steel bar with a plate welded to the end so the Hauler can be bolted on.

Event
All four side welds at the tow bar to plate interface broke while driving at 60 MPH.
Note: Hauler Welds do not appear to be quality welds. Instead of blended metal, weld bead is more like glue. Most of bead stayed with plate. Draw Bar is as smooth and square (at the former bead locations) as new stock bar.

So What Happened
Driving east bound on I-90, 60 MPH, right hand lane of a 5-lane highway.
SNAP, car pitches a bit. “What the H...”
Look in rear-view mirror, Segway is a car length behind me!
And it's on the right wheel at some 30 degrees (left wheel airborne)
Then it was Left wheel down and Right wheel airborne,
After a few oscillations the Hauler post hit the highway and the SEG continued on upright in a three point configuration; wheels and hauler contacting the highway.
For reasons we'll never know the SEG turned right off the highway instead of left into heavy traffic.
There was(is) several feet of scarred highway as the Hauler post braked the 150# of Hauler+SEG. There was also a 2+ feet long 1+ inch deep ditch cut in the road side mud and grass before the SEG stopped.

Afterward
There was a break in the highway chain link fence so I was able to move the SEG & Hauler to a frontage road. And of course the Segway works fine. However an aftermarket tail light broke (again).
Since the SEG seemed OK I decided to continue with my Segway Adventure of 11 miles round trip gliding an area I've not visited . . . the whole time thinking 'Now how do I get the SEG home?'

To get home. Removed the handle bars (not lean steer base), dropped the batteries, and loaded it into a Mazda 3 sedan. Dropped the batteries to get the weight into a range I felt OK lifting. And the base with wheels just that is just fits into a Mazda 3 sedan back door (trunk opening is too small)

Time to repeat, This Could Have Been Far Far Worse.

Final Note:
Of course I quickly pulled off the Interstate, set my flashers, and started walking back toward the SEG. And there is this guy hauling it away into the bushes! I yelled at him and he got the SEG out of the bushes and took off. 5-6 years ago I worked in that area and had at times seen some guy taking unsecured load items off the shoulder . . . several times only moments after the items flew off a passing car. He must sit all day in the bushes waiting and he is fast!

Four Years Gliding, just under 8,000 miles
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Glad it worked out as well as it did. As you say, could have been much worse.

As you said, without some company that takes responsibly for quality control to assure the welds will hold, you are taking more of a chance.

If you know a welder, go for it. Welding unlike metals can be tricky. Sounds like they braised it with a metal that bonded to one piece and not the other.

Another option is a drill, holes and thru bolts. That may be a more do-it-yourself kind of repair, if you do not weld.

Still good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
MuttonChops

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Closure

First off, the Segway Dealer from whom the Hauler was originally purchased replaced my Hauler with a new design unit at zero cost. Another FIVE STAR Segway Dealer, as the original unit was past it's 1-year workmanship warranty.

Karl's comment “Sounds like they braised it” does appear to be the end result on the older solid bar receiver. Would assume they intended to weld but lacked the skill. Some pictures.

Old Design (no longer on market)

The replacement 'new design' Hauler uses a tube stock receiver bar which appears to have true welds. As an added bonus the new design is less complex and lighter (almost half the weight). Some pictures.

Have completed three short trips with the new design Hauler. It seems to be solid and working well.

7,964 i2 miles
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 AM   #4
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttonChops View Post
... Some pictures.

[IMG]http://forums.segwaychat.org/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=645[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.segwaychat.org/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=646[/IMG]
Your pictures didn't show up. Pictures have to have a JPG extension to work like you intended. There are other extensions that work too, but your URL has no extension, which means it is not an image file. You can, however, find the image, save it to your computer and then use the upload system to share it.

R'gards,

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
MuttonChops

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Pictures

Pictures are JPG and do display for me when I view site logged in or as a guest.

However in the source album they are flagged as 'moderated'.
They were uploaded two days ago but are still in 'moderated' status.

No idea on what I can / should do to get the pictures released.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Unfortunately, the forum software does not notify the admin when pictures need to be approved/disapproved. You can contact forum staff by PM (http://forums.segwaychat.org/showgroups.php) and ask them to approve your album pictures. However, the code you used in your post does not have a JPG extension, so the pictures will not show in your post, even after the pictures have been approved. I recommend using the forum upload system instead.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Just always use imgur.com and never look back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote