SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default keeping batteries plugged in=damage?

in one post i read that keeping your segway plugged in can damage them sorry i cant find a link anymore. is that true? i have a new2014 and a2004 x2 with lithium s am told.by my dealer
if i get to pulling them off can i look up battery serial numbers to learn more about exactly what i have?i use asurge protector that has insurance now that it is winter

Last edited by rotorblades; 03-02-2015 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: a last thought
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:31 AM   #2
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've had my Segway (i170 w/Li-ion bats) for about 8 years now. It is plugged in about 95% of the time I am not using it. I bought it used and understand it was previously used for security at the Oakland, CA airport. I switched out the original batteries for a used set after a couple years, then a set of refurbished ones a couple years after that. I've had these ever since.

I wouldn't hesitate to plug my Seg in any time, for any length of time (I've gone a week or more, often). I carry a cord with me in case I need to plug in for a while so I can keep gliding.

Some may say don't plug it in until it cools down. I don't do that. Some may say unplug it a while before you turn it on. I don't do that. Some say switch front to back and back to front occasionally or regularly. I don't do that. I just glide to my heart's content. I've never gone to a blinking last bar, but I have glided as much as 12 or 14 miles on a single charge - and I max out the weight limit.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
in one post i read that keeping your segway plugged in can damage them sorry i cant find a link anymore. is that true? i have a new2014 and a2004 x2 with lithium s am told.by my dealer
if i get to pulling them off can i look up battery serial numbers to learn more about exactly what i have?i use asurge protector that has insurance now that it is winter
rotorblades,

Here is a link to the other thread that you created that had the information in. http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=33620
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote