SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Dead batteries - Now what?

Yup- my i167 shows only a red light when plugged in. We did try once to re-seat the batteries as the book says. Didn't change anything. So guess they are dead. Can they be re-charged or jumped like my car battery? 1st time this ever happened. Any AAA for segways that I can call? In central NJ so no active dealer down the road... All ideas welcome.
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Call Jason Abel at MTO Battery. You can find him through this site.

He is the definitive answer to batteries in your area, he is across the state line in Penn.

As I see it, you may have arrived in this place by several avenues.

1. Batteries may just be worn out.

2. Batteries may have been left unplugged too long.

3. Batteries may have a fault of some sort.

4. Battery charger / power supply in segway may be bad.

5. Some other thing.

If the batteries are good, but just discharged too far, as in #2 above, then a battery reviver may work, and there are a couple good ones on the market, both from the US and from Australia.

For all else, you may need more. All solutions are pretty expensive. Talk to Jason. He will give you good advise.

One other thing you may try if you have access to another machine that uses your type of battery. (you did not say if they were NiMH or LiIon)

You can try swapping known good batteries onto your machine, and run them thru a cycle or two. This will see if your machine is charging them correctly. (see #4 above)

While doing this, try your batteries on the other segway. If that one can charge them, again, see #4 above.

Also, while it can be difficult to tell, there are actually two LEDs on your segway. They are right next to each other, and may look like one light, but they are side by side, and typically, the left one represents the front battery, and the right one represents the rear battery.

Good luck. Report back, so the next guy can learn from your misfortune...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
gracefuli

5 yr Member

Thanks for the reply. It's probably #2 older batteries left unplugged too long. Will seek him out. Don't have another machine. Lion batteries (I think, aren't these the thinner original ones?)

Can you rent the revivers?

Grace
Old 01-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
Thanks for the reply. It's probably #2 older batteries left unplugged too long. Will seek him out. Don't have another machine. Lion batteries (I think, aren't these the thinner original ones?)

Can you rent the revivers?

Grace
The original (first released ) batteries were NiMH and are a smaller battery. Simple test is look at the bottom of your segway. IF you see a 2 inch metal bar that is even with your batteries, between them, you have NiMH batteries.

The LiIon batteries, which were on many segways from the start as well, after a few years, (but I don't think came original on any 167s,) are thicker. IF you look at the bottom of your segway, you will still see that metal bar between the batteries, but there will be a plastic grill over it, extending from each battery.

So, smooth metal bar = NiMH
Plastic grid over bar = LiIon

I am not in the reviver business, but I believe they are rentable. Check with those who make them. There are some good folk around. (See previous posting)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
gracefuli

5 yr Member

Yup - you were right. NIMH. Does that change anything for recharging?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
KSagal

Quote:
Not that I know of.

The charger in the segway is just a power supply, for the most part. The 'smarts' of the charging, and the controls, are in each battery.

The red light (Should actually be two side by side LEDs) is on the segway.

This is because the segway will only apply voltage to charge the batteries, if the voltage it reads is between (x) and (y).

Now, (x) voltage is not 0. It is somewhat above that.
Also, (y) voltage is not a particular number either, as the different batteries use different voltages. (I think) They surely have different charge characteristics.

As I understand it, if your batteries are somewhat between 0 and (x) and are not damaged, just drained, then a reviver will add a small charge that will bring the voltage above (x) so the segway can take over from there.

If the batteries are damaged, then a reviver will likely not get the job done.

Unfortunately, even renting these items is not cheap. I believe you need to speak to someone who is more knowledgeable about how to get what you need done, done.

I can offer what I know so you will know better what you are dealing with, but you pretty much have to take this to someone with the ability to get you a reviver, as a minimum.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Hi

Your NiMH batteries are likely to be almost 10 years old.
The likely failure mode is 'worn out' cells.
There is no easy solution for this.
( You can replace all cells or you you can buy new batteries, if you can find them ).
I know a bit about Segway Battery Reviver equipment, and your scenario is not fixable by any Reviver that I know of.

If your Segway received a software upgrade at some time, it will now accept Li-ion batteries.
You could buy a set of those.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

We can definitely assist you with your batteries. www.mtobattery.com or call us at 717-751-2705
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Red face

Quote:
Yup- my i167 shows only a red light when plugged in. We did try once to re-seat the batteries as the book says. Didn't change anything. So guess they are dead. Can they be re-charged or jumped like my car battery? 1st time this ever happened. Any AAA for segways that I can call? In central NJ so no active dealer down the road... All ideas welcome.
maybe try a different charge cord first maybe a table model computer cord
some dont seem to go in far enough or have loose maleplugins
i have an x2and the charge plug in prongs seem loose ive heard that shaving the shouldersof the female end has helped another personget the plug in far enough to charge alsotry an gentle twist to see if you can get a better contact give it a minute to light up a green before moving it again the easiest cheapest cure might be the most fun
im just an amature here.maybe one of these geniuses on here will chime in with a better suggestion,,hope it is something simple= let us know?
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:02 AM   #10
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
maybe try a different charge cord first maybe a table model computer cord
some dont seem to go in far enough or have loose maleplugins
i have an x2and the charge plug in prongs seem loose ive heard that shaving the shouldersof the female end has helped another personget the plug in far enough to charge alsotry an gentle twist to see if you can get a better contact give it a minute to light up a green before moving it again the easiest cheapest cure might be the most fun
im just an amature here.maybe one of these geniuses on here will chime in with a better suggestion,,hope it is something simple= let us know?
I am not quite an amateur, but hardly a genius to be sure.

Unfortunately, the fact that the red LEDs are coming on kind of proves the cord is in deep enough.

Your observation is a valid one, and people have had problems where they plug in, get an LED, but then it goes out, as the rubber shoulders of the end of the cord make the plug back out. This is why when people trim the cord shoulders, it stays in better.

One point I made, and will make again, is that there are two LEDs that are behind that small lens, the right one for the rear battery, and the left one for the front battery. Typically, they will both come on at about the same time for charging, but they often blink at different rates toward the end of the cycle.

IF only one LED is coming on, that may indicate a different problem.

So, I agree with your potential suggestion, but I don't think it applies in this case, given the details offered up so far...