SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default So, who glides in the snow?

This week there were two events among others that I will recall here...

1. I turned 55

2. A snow storm moved thru and left about 3/4 meter of snow...

So, what to do? Why not take a glide, and tow my daughter?

So, do you glide in the snow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
This week there were two events among others that I will recall here...

1. I turned 55

2. A snow storm moved thru and left about 3/4 meter of snow...

So, what to do? Why not take a glide, and tow my daughter?

So, do you glide in the snow?

Karl:

To accomplish what you show in the picture, you must have good traction. I can see it's an I2, not an X2, the tires you sport must do a good job, better than the stock ones. I don't intentionally glide in the snow; however, I find myself going thru some on occasion as I transit around work and I am thinking perhaps I should upgrade the tires I am using. I use my I2 basically for going from car to buildings and vice versa and in the buildings extensively. What tires are on your I2 and do you think it would be a worthwhile upgrade ? You increased my confidence in the I2 by showing how you can do things like that. Let us know what you think and thanks.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Karl:

To accomplish what you show in the picture, you must have good traction. I can see it's an I2, not an X2, the tires you sport must do a good job, better than the stock ones. I don't intentionally glide in the snow; however, I find myself going thru some on occasion as I transit around work and I am thinking perhaps I should upgrade the tires I am using. I use my I2 basically for going from car to buildings and vice versa and in the buildings extensively. What tires are on your I2 and do you think it would be a worthwhile upgrade ? You increased my confidence in the I2 by showing how you can do things like that. Let us know what you think and thanks.
I have been running a 'trials' tire on my seg for some time. I like the large lugs, but also the tight spacing that allows for a quiet ride on pavement, where I had used large lug tires in the past that worked great in loose sand, snow and the like, but were too noisy on pavement.

You can think of it like the extra noise from snow tires, if you ever had the occasion to ride summer/winter tires.

These are motorcross tires, and they call themselves trials. Chen Shin makes them, as well as Kings, and others. If you look thru my photo albums (above in right corner), you will see lots of tire variations, as I used to sell them.

Also, you may see that I have used a high traction narrow tire for a long time....

The above are photos from two different winters with two different tires. The one from January is on metal studded michelins, and the one from December is on the same tire I run now, but a slightly smaller one. Both of these photos are with my e167.

Below is a more current photo. I currently use a slightly taller tire that does not fit under the fender, and that is the reason for my custom fenders. The segway comes with a round 100mm wide tire, with a 60 mm side wall. In US sizes, that is about a 2.75 inch wide tire, with a 2.25 inch side wall. (That american size is hard to find.)

Many people use a 80/80 tire, which is 80mm wide, 80mm sidewall.

I am currently using a 3.00/3.00 tire, which is 3 inches wide, with a 3 inch sidewall.

It is only a little wider than original, but about almost 2 inches taller, but also has a square profile. Tread goes fairly flat across and has 'corners' where the sidewall meets, as opposed to a round tire that the tread smoothly rolls over to the sidewall...

All this goes to traction and ride. I have a great deal more rubber between me and the road, with the thick lugs and taller tire, so I have greater traction and also a more bounce absorbing ride. This is evidenced in both snow traction, but also ease of bouncing up a curb, or even less problem power assisting up stairs. OF course, it also brings in exponentially more dirt into the house as well.

I hope this helps to explain my position.

By the way, do not glide in snow, and do not pull a sled. It was fun, but you will fall. If you do not mind, then have fun, but do not expect to be able to this and not fall. Just because I may not on this adventure or the next, does not mean I am not expecting to do just that, land on my ... I hope butt, but the face is just as likely...

Smile, have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 01-29-2015 at 01:33 PM..
Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

You are 55 and have a young daughter. I'm impressed!
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Glide in the snow . . .

All the time!!!

Even with an X2, it can be tricky though; especially in the soft fluffy stuff we've had lately. Hard packed is better, one just has to watch out for the excessive wheel spin if one tire loses traction.

This year gave up my helmet for a fur lined Bomber type hat like yours that has made gliding in the cold quite a bit more comfortable then prior years.

My only concern over the years has been the chemicals that are put down on the roads (usually I wait until there's been a rain to wash the roads down), though I've been doing it for seven (7) years now and Trigger is still going.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
You are 55 and have a young daughter. I'm impressed!
Prior to getting married at 36, I had lived on 3 continents, 4 different states in the United States, had been in and out of the Army, Skydived over 1000 times, and square danced in 14 countries, and 22+ states. I am sure there were a few other bullet points as well.

My son was born 1 month before my 40th birthday, and my daughter 3 1/2 years later. My wife is 7 years, 9 months younger than I.

Currently, my son is 15, and my daughter 11. My wife is just a couple days older than when I met her 21 years ago.

I have been very lucky.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #7
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have been running a 'trials' tire on my seg for some time. I like the large lugs, but also the tight spacing that allows for a quiet ride on pavement, where I had used large lug tires in the past that worked great in loose sand, snow and the like, but were too noisy on pavement.

You can think of it like the extra noise from snow tires, if you ever had the occasion to ride summer/winter tires.

These are motorcross tires, and they call themselves trials. Chen Shin makes them, as well as Kings, and others. If you look thru my photo albums (above in right corner), you will see lots of tire variations, as I used to sell them.

Also, you may see that I have used a high traction narrow tire for a long time....

The above are photos from two different winters with two different tires. The one from January is on metal studded michelins, and the one from December is on the same tire I run now, but a slightly smaller one. Both of these photos are with my e167.

Below is a more current photo. I currently use a slightly taller tire that does not fit under the fender, and that is the reason for my custom fenders. The segway comes with a round 100mm wide tire, with a 60 mm side wall. In US sizes, that is about a 2.75 inch wide tire, with a 2.25 inch side wall. (That american size is hard to find.)

Many people use a 80/80 tire, which is 80mm wide, 80mm sidewall.

I am currently using a 3.00/3.00 tire, which is 3 inches wide, with a 3 inch sidewall.

It is only a little wider than original, but about almost 2 inches taller, but also has a square profile. Tread goes fairly flat across and has 'corners' where the sidewall meets, as opposed to a round tire that the tread smoothly rolls over to the sidewall...

All this goes to traction and ride. I have a great deal more rubber between me and the road, with the thick lugs and taller tire, so I have greater traction and also a more bounce absorbing ride. This is evidenced in both snow traction, but also ease of bouncing up a curb, or even less problem power assisting up stairs. OF course, it also brings in exponentially more dirt into the house as well.

I hope this helps to explain my position.

By the way, do not glide in snow, and do not pull a sled. It was fun, but you will fall. If you do not mind, then have fun, but do not expect to be able to this and not fall. Just because I may not on this adventure or the next, does not mean I am not expecting to do just that, land on my ... I hope butt, but the face is just as likely...

Smile, have fun.

Thank you very much for this great info, much appreciated
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote