SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
WeAreZilla
WeAreZilla is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway MiniPro Tires

I am more than happy with my new MiniPro with one exception - the cheap quality of its OEM tires. I rode it about two weeks, mostly indoors, and a tire went flat by a piece of glass the size of a grain of rice. I tried the recommended plug repair but it didn't hold.

I spent a great deal of time researching various tires, recommendations, and sellers. I ordered from multiple sources, here in the US and from China. I was dissapointed with two US sellers. One of them even posted a quality tire on their website but shipped a very cheap one that was rated at only 7 psi.

The Chinese seller on AliExpress came through. Great quality tires at decent prices. Don't like the shipping costs or time it takes, but it was worth the wait and expense. Here are the specs:
INNOVA, 90/65-6.5, 4 Ply Rated, Max Load 416 lbs, 50 psi.

I may be too new here to post URLs, but I'll try:
Nope ... need to submit a couple more posts before it will let me. 8-(

Make sure to choose the type of tire, quantity, and shipping method. They sell road, hybrid, and off-road tires. And they sell the original MiniPro tires too.
WeAreZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
WeAreZilla

5 yr Member
Default Tire Mounting

I had watched a couple of videos on mounting these little tires. In most of the videos it looked like the tires were winning big time. One of them I viewed showed a method using zip ties. I also researched the best lubricant/bead seal. It was strongly recommended NOT to use petroleum jelly or silicone based lube. I settled on Pledge furniture polish.

The old tires were easy to remove. Used pry bars just a bit, but most of the removal was done by hand, simply prying with fingers. I did not remove the wheels, but did loosen them up so I could remove the fenders/brackets, then immediately retighten.

Mounting was a different story. At first I let the tires kick my butt, and then I remembered the zip tie method. It was almost magical:
-- Place one zip tie at the 4 o'clock position on the tire, and another at the 8 o'clock position. Tighten the zip ties so that the inner part of the tire is squeezed together.
-- Spray both sides of the tire with Pledge furniture polish.
-- Jam the zip tied side of the tire onto the wheel. Then, just using your hands/fingers, roll the rest of the tire onto the rim. It takes a little effort, but should pop right on.
-- Snip the zip ties and slide them out.
-- Air the tires up. The bead set almost immediately - "pop/pop!" I'm gliding at 45 psi.

Once I switched to the zip tie method I had both tires mounted in under ten minutes. Smooth. 8-)
Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
WeAreZilla

5 yr Member
Default Tire Seller and Photos

I was hoping to go back and edit my original post to include the seller link once I had enough posts. Unfortunately, I don't think I can.

If you are interested in purchasing these tires from the same seller go here. From the time I placed the order until they bounced up to my front door - Hong Kong to San Antonio, via DHL - was almost exactly two weeks. Remember to choose the type of tire (from the row on the right), quantity, and shipping method. They sell road, hybrid, and off-road tires. Plus, they sell the original MiniPro tires too.

Last edited by WeAreZilla; 09-23-2017 at 07:23 PM..