View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
sitseg
sitseg has a spectacular aura aboutsitseg has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

First, I want to thank SegRick for posting the revision date. I had used the first Google site for finding my 49CFR * info, and it did not have the Oct. 2014 revision. I am now using a site with all of the current revisions.

I know that Lithium Polymer batteries are in a new UN class (3481) , but I am still concerned with the 5Kg maximum battery size in the table in 49CFR172.101 concerning passenger aircraft. Each Segway lithium weighs 5.15 Kg.

If mobility aids lithiums are unlimited then theoreticlly the a scooter could have a battery exceeding 35Kg, which cannot be shipped by cargo without Associate Administrator approval. I have recently seen a one-off scooter that had a speed in excess of 15 mph and distance greater than 50 miles with a 20+ kg battery.

I am aware that many airlines have changed their websites, concerning lithiums and mobility devices, but I also have seen airlines post fallacious information, that was corrected after I called them.

I am going to continue to research the issue, to determine if device trumps weight or weight trumps device. Nothing would make me happier, than if all disabled Segway users can fly with their Segways.

I hope my next post is to apologize to Segrick for doubting his first post on this issue.

Merry Christmas
sitseg is offline   Reply With Quote