View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
sitseg
sitseg has a spectacular aura aboutsitseg has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default Skeptical - Still researching

I plan on looking more into this issue over the next few weeks, but;

I still have not seen any NEW ,during 2014, change published in the Federal Register.

I have seen no change in 49 CFR * regarding the 25 gram limit or total battery weight limit. They are still UN class 9.

I have not seen a waiver by the "Director" on this issue.

Any of the above changes would convince me that there was a change in Federal Law.

IATA is a trade association, and any press release or publication it releases DOES NOT change Federal Law. A mistake in perception and wording may have happened. Some new mobility devices, Wheelchairs and scooters are using lithium batteries that fall within the 49 CFR * requirements.

Page 16 of the IATA publication show an Australian dangerous good notice that would still require a segway size lithium to be transported as hazmat.
Page 24 of the same publication, speaks of mobility aids with Watt-hour ratings as high as 700Wh.

A lithium polymer at 700 Wh will/can meet the <25gram and total battery weight requirements. The Segway Lithium is 765.44Wh. It exceed the 25 gram and total weight limits, as it has since the promulgation of the rules.

I don't believe IATA took Segways into account when issuing this blanket assertion. They may issue a clarification when made aware of the specs.

I think Segs4Vets, DRAFT, should not notify segway recipients until the issue is clearly stated by a US regulatory body.

If you want to discuss the issue, call my cell.
sitseg is offline   Reply With Quote