View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadSquad View Post
Let me 1st began by extending my apologies to segrick-ATL for discounting his assertion earlier this fall that the time was near when people with disabilities would be able to fly with their lithium-ion equipped Segways aboard passenger carrying aircraft.

While we were unable to validate his assertions then I can now confirm that he was correct. I have included the below link to the IATA lithium battery risk mitigation guidance for airline operators.

The relevant information begins on page 24 under Battery-Powered Mobility Aids.

While airlines Are NOT Required to transport Segways equipped with lithium-ion batteries for people with disabilities they are certainly now allowed to. I cannot give you a definitive list of those airlines who are now transporting lithium ion equipped Segways for people with disabilities but I can confirm that Southwest Airlines is.

I suggest that you contact the airline which you are scheduled to travel on prior to arrival for your initial departure for the specific airlines policy.

It's a great day for our Segs4Vets recipients and to segrick-ATL I say Hoo-Rah!

http://www.iata.org/publications/Doc...ors-1st-ed.pdf

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-12-08-01.aspx
Its worth watching this video from the document above just for an overview of the issues Involved for the airlines in carrying mobility devices. The more we understand about the general issues, the more understanding we can be when we have to deal with them on Segway related issues.

I look forward to reports about your experiences in these areas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote