View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
The Segway is identified as an "Other" (alternate?) mobility assist device. Like golf carts are. Organizations are free by the ADA to refuse to allow them if they are a hazard. Banned if they are a hazard in the organization's expert opinion (falls, crashes, fire hazards, etc). It covers someone showing up with a 25mph electric unicycle, segway, motorcycle, golf cart, or whatever, and claiming it as their mobility device with the same access rights as a wheelchair, electric wheelchair/scooter.

I think it is all on the DOJ website with the breakdown for unique vehicles that users might find better suited for their needs but don't get the full ADA right to all access (if hazardous).
I do not disagree, but if they are a hazard as you say is the point here. The wording is not casual. They cannot decided they are a hazard by just saying so. I believe they have to have hard and specific evidence that they are a hazard, but just the belief that they may be a hazard if allowed is not good enough.

Also, EPMAD is a real and identified category, and the segway fits in, while several of the other devices you mentioned do not fit in, like a 25mph electric unicycle, a motorcycle, a golf cart, or whatever. You cannot just 'decide' this or that is a hazard by that law, you have to prove it first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote